IGNORED

Non League Thread 2023/24

phantom

• Admin

The Northern League has been granted an extension to the season by the FA.

Due to “exceptional circumstances, with the weather causing mass postponements” the FA has said that all league and play-off games must now be completed by May 11.

• Admin

Oddly inconsistent with previous decisions.... 

The National League can confirm a decision has been reached following the abandonment of the match between Slough Town and Bath City.

Following action being taken by the Football Association against Bath City, the League has now determined the outcome of the abandonment of the National League South fixture on March 2.

It has been decided that the game is not to be replayed, and the match has been awarded to Slough Town in accordance with League rules.

Slough were 4-2 in front when a medical emergency affecting a supporter occurred during the second half of the match at Arbour Park last month.

Tables will be updated accordingly. Regulations state that while the home club are awarded three points, goals for and against are not to be added.

Yate draw 2-2 with Larkhall tonight after leading twice. Realistically in view of the number of teams with a shout the playoffs now seem out of reach.

Next and last home game is on 20th April against Cribbs where any ex players are welcome to come along for free for a reunion. I’m sure there was someone on here who said they used to play for the bluebells but I’m drawing a blank as to who and there are no familiar names in the club history that would marry up - anyone help?

IMG_2843.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yate draw 2-2 with Larkhall tonight after leading twice. Realistically in view of the number of teams with a shout the playoffs now seem out of reach.

Next and last home game is on 20th April against Cribbs where any ex players are welcome to come along for free for a reunion. I’m sure there was someone on here who said they used to play for the bluebells but I’m drawing a blank as to who and there are no familiar names in the club history that would marry up - anyone help?

IMG_2843.jpeg

Happy with the draw from a Farm perspective. Willand win as well. Perfect results there.

Farm's game at Tavistock was postponed for I think the third time, so that needs to get squeezed in over the next couple of weeks.

9 minutes ago, bartolona said:

Segregation being used for Wimborne v Frome on the 20th. No away fans in the clubhouse before or after the match. Seems OTT for a division 1 south game.

Probably worried that Frome might take their end like we used to take the Town End 😃

• Haha 1

Whilst it's been a very wet season, the imposition of the cut-off for fixture dates has proved a real test for many. I wonder if it will sharpen some minds as to how to organise things from this point onwards. Global warming protocols, anyone?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, petehinton said:

As expected and required, Yeovil champions of NLS. 

Was there last night and am most definitely on low power mode today. 😴

Dreadful game but do I give a hoot? Nah. Truro's fixture congestion is well documented and although they started quite brightly and showed the odd flash, they couldn't really get out of second gear (and they may not even have had a third gear). They made ten changes from the night before and on the bench was Stewart Yetton, their all time leading goalscorer at the age of 38 and who hasn't played for a while apparently.

Great scenes at the end, we took 1,103 out of a crowd of 1,238 (89.09% before you reach for your calculators!) and we won our first title since winning League Two in 2005. My lads were four at the time so this is really their first title and although it is from a division that we wouldn't have been in were it not for some shocking ownership issues in recent years, a title is a title. Not the same as previous titles, the feeling wasn't there, but they do say comparison is the thief of joy so for today, we are champions and now you'd better believe it!  

💚🏆

• Like 6

• Admin
21 hours ago, Erithacus said:

Whilst it's been a very wet season, the imposition of the cut-off for fixture dates has proved a real test for many. I wonder if it will sharpen some minds as to how to organise things from this point onwards. Global warming protocols, anyone?

The season seems to end earlier and earlier in non league, no idea why they don't schedule at least into the first weekend in May

Obviously lots of FA Cup etc matches at the start of the season, but surely make the most of the better weather at the start of the season and get a couple of extra midweek fixtures in to lesser the pressure

I hate to say it but stopping FA Cup replays from the start would help

• Like 2

For those interested in Scottish stuff; at the foot of their League 2 and with four games remaining, five points separate the bottom four. Starnraer are currently bottom and would have to beat the winners of Highland League v Lowland League to retain their league status. Brechin are currently narrowly  top of the Highland. In the Lowland; East Kilbride are six points clear at the top and have played two games less than  the team in second.

Given their worse weather "up there" do  their groundsmen have a different way of maintaining decent playing surfaces?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phantom said:

The season seems to end earlier and earlier in non league, no idea why they don't schedule at least into the first weekend in May

Obviously lots of FA Cup etc matches at the start of the season, but surely make the most of the better weather at the start of the season and get a couple of extra midweek fixtures in to lesser the pressure

I hate to say it but stopping FA Cup replays from the start would help

I help out at a NWCFL side, we had a 24 team league this season and played Saturday midweek from end of July till end of September except for 1 midweek. 

What doesn’t help is all cups take priority (Fa  Cup, FA Vase, county and 2 league cups) so when a game is off away from home you cannot play a league game for they take priority. Leagues need to as I said previously need to set a pitch standard and stop teams making money by hiring pitches out in the week and trashing them.

I think we will have played 57 games when we end season next week. That’s a lot of games to squeeze in, would of been more if we had some luck in the cups. Too many games at this level, trouble is we are based in Greater Manchester and FA are considering moving us and others into the midlands league to square up the numbers (Midland had 18 last season).

if we move think we will fold for couldn’t commit to the travelling. All in the hands of the FA now

Edited by wayne allisons tongues
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Decent away win for Taunton at Farnborough today, given themselves half a chance of staying up now. Looking a bit nervy for Torquay though sadly - if they go down it`s curtains for the club I fear.

Taunton v Torquay on Tues, which I'm going to, suddenly looks absolutely massive. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Decent away win for Taunton at Farnborough today, given themselves half a chance of staying up now. Looking a bit nervy for Torquay though sadly - if they go down it`s curtains for the club I fear.

Funny how fast the times can change.  They were absolutely robbed of a spot back in the football league, not even 3 years ago. Now look at them. 

• Like 2

• Admin
9 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Decent away win for Taunton at Farnborough today, given themselves half a chance of staying up now. 

Taunton could have done without Ben Acey getting two yellow cards in the 94th minute

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

At minimum, they will not have any full-time pros on the books. They get decent support for that level and now Osborne isn't involved the ground should be safe.

Rumour is that the bloke who runs Brewdog is interested in taking it over. 

Edited by Red-Robbo
  • Like 1

Just back from Taunton v Torquay. 

The Gulls secured survival with a 2-1 win in a game where both teams showed their nerves, as it was dreadful as a spectacle. 

How those Torquay players are professionals I'll never know. I assume most will be out of contract this summer and won't find new clubs.

A painful night for Taunton. Probably created the better chances but Torquay went ahead with two cracking goals. 

Taunton hit the post and then missed a sitter in about the 80th minute. Could well be the difference between staying up and going down.

Simple equation now, beat Weston on Thursday and Hemel on Saturday to stay up.

Ben Acey number 11 for Taunton, on loan from City. Looked alright and has something about him, but difficult to make an assessment in such a poor game of football. 

• Admin
18 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Ben Acey number 11 for Taunton, on loan from City. Looked alright and has something about him, but difficult to make an assessment in such a poor game of football. 

How was he able to play after getting sent off on Saturday? 

Weston drew this evening with a stoppage time goal, with 4 games this week they'd planned to play a weaker side this evening, and go with the strongest available for the last two games. 

Was an interesting game in the NWCFL this evening. Bury FC were looking for promotion back up the ladder after restarting a phoenix club. 

They had been due to play Padiham at Gigg Lane on Saturday but it got called off at lunchtime on Saturday, so to guarantee the game got played tonight their "home" fixture got moved to FC United of Manchester

A crowd of 3521 watched them lose 2-1

If Bury had won this evening and Saturday they'd win the league. 

Now it goes down to the last game of the season 

Top of the league are Wythenshawe with 92 points (GD +63)

Second are Wythenshawe Town also with 92 points (GD +48)

Bury FC are third with 91 points (GD +59)

Saturdays fixtures 

Ramsbottom (18th) Vs Bury FC (3rd) 

Squires Gate (21st) Vs Wythenshawe (1st) 

Wythenshawe Town (2nd) Vs Skelmersdale (24th) 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Just back from Taunton v Torquay. 

The Gulls secured survival with a 2-1 win in a game where both teams showed their nerves, as it was dreadful as a spectacle. 

How those Torquay players are professionals I'll never know. I assume most will be out of contract this summer and won't find new clubs.

A painful night for Taunton. Probably created the better chances but Torquay went ahead with two cracking goals. 

Taunton hit the post and then missed a sitter in about the 80th minute. Could well be the difference between staying up and going down.

Simple equation now, beat Weston on Thursday and Hemel on Saturday to stay up.

Well summed up. I was there too - a truly awful game of football. I too am astonished that I was watching professional footballers. Torquay’s two goals were out of character with the rest of the game. Thought their celebrations were OTT - you would have thought they’d won the Champions League!

• Like 1