IGNORED

Non League Thread 2023/24

phantom

• Admin

Truro City: National League South side face playing 13 games in 28 days to end season

"We're Saturday, Tuesday, Friday, Monday, Thursday, Saturday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday - oh, and we have to fit into there somewhere the abandoned Eastbourne game from Tuesday night."

There cannot be many football managers with as tough a task as Truro City boss Paul Wotton right now.

The National League South side still have to play 13 games - almost a quarter of their season - in 28 days.

Wet weather has meant the White Tigers - who were promoted to the sixth tier last season - have had game after game postponed because of waterlogged pitches this season, and now they are having to play catch-up.

"How we are going to get through it I have absolutely no idea," Wotton tells BBC Sport.

"It's going to be a case of taking each game as it comes and seeing which players are fit and ready to go in each game.

"It's going to be very, very difficult - that's for sure. There will be no training."

Truro, who are playing outside their Cornish home as work on a new ground finishes, have had more than their fair share of bad luck.

They began the season sharing with Southern Premier League club Plymouth Parkway until the conditions at Bolitho Park got so bad they had to leave.

On to Taunton Town - 125 miles away - but the same problem as wet conditions mean that since they agreed a deal with the fellow sixth-tier club they are yet to play a 'home' game at their Somerset stadium.

Truro's past three 'home' matches have taken place at National League North club Gloucester City - 195 miles from the Cornish capital.

And to top it off their game on Tuesday night against Eastbourne Borough was abandoned after an hour when an opposing player suffered a serious knee injury and the referee deemed the wait for an ambulance to be too long.

"It's an absolute one-off, it'll never happen again," said former Plymouth Argyle and Southampton player Wotton.

"You're going to a home game and the away team are getting there quicker than you. It's horrifying really but it's completely out of our control."

Truro returned to the sixth tier of English football last season via the Southern League Premier South play-offs.

They currently find themselves 19th out of 24 teams, three points above the relegation zone but with at least five games in hand on the sides in the bottom four.

Truro can still catch leaders Yeovil Town with the amount of games they have left, though avoiding the drop rather than making the play-offs is a more realistic ambition with their fixture congestion.

"I don't think extending the season is an option," says Wotton.

"But you have a player welfare point of view. Can players play Saturday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday Saturday? In my opinion no, I think that's just ludicrous.

"If that does become what we have to do, you then have an integrity issue as well.

"There are teams playing for promotion, teams battling to stay safe and you're going to have to play a weakened team in one of those fixtures and it just becomes a bit of a sham really.

"It has been unprecedented weather, it's been against us, but all I ever seem to say is 'it is what it is, we can't do anything about it'. It's true, and I'm kind of fed up of saying it.

"It's a very difficult thing for a manager to say, but staying up this year would be a huge success with the troubles we've had this season."

With an apt turn of phrase, Wotton adds: "If we can keep our heads above water for the next few weeks we should be OK."

TAKEN FROM: Truro City: National League South side face playing 13 games in 28 days to end season - BBC Sport

Nice touch from Plymouth to let Plymouth Parkway play a game at Home Park last night due to the recent weather on the pitch at Plymouth Parkway.  

https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/plymouth-parkway-play-home-park

I don't think Bristol Sport would allow this to happen at Ashton Gate to help out local clubs with the Rugby and Women's team unfortunately. 

Edited by Mr X

Well done Chesterfield; confirmed Champions of the National League with five games still to go and they've scored 100+ goals.

Have they any players, or coaching staff City could use next season.

For those slightly older than me;  one of their forwards is a fellow named Quigley.

4 minutes ago, 22A said:

Well done Chesterfield; confirmed Champions of the National League with five games still to go and they've scored 100+ goals.

For those slightly older than me;  one of their forwards is a fellow named Quigley.

I`ve always had a bit of a soft spot for Chesterfield. It was always a good day out back at the old Saltergate with decent fans and decent pubs. We generally got something there too and of course it was the scene of Testimitanu`s thunderbastard!

Good to see them back.

• Like 1

Went to see Eastleigh v Hartlepool United today 1-1. Hartlepool were the better team. But if we think we get poor referees. The fellow in charge did not have a good match. Hartlepools most famous suppoter Jeff Stelling was there, lives just up the road in the Winchester area. Also there was the Premer league trophy. As a OAP paid £13 for my ticket, good value for the money.

• Like 2

On 22/03/2024 at 11:37, wayne allisons tongues said:

NWCFL Charnock Richard have 13 games in 28 days 

Colne have the same 

Weather hasn’t been good, but it also has brought up the question why should teams spend all there cash on players. Maybe they should get there pitches up to a good standard, something the leagues may need to consider.

Bacup Borough were always a problem in that league, don't know if they still are. I remember a few years ago they had to play 5 in 7 days in the last week of the season in order to finish on time.

3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Bacup Borough were always a problem in that league, don't know if they still are. I remember a few years ago they had to play 5 in 7 days in the last week of the season in order to finish on time.

Still struggle to play home games, doesn’t help there pitch is surrounded by hills.

Last season they had season extended for they made both cup finals and played cup games at home but kept calling off league games at home.

• Thanks 1

I've got a vague memory of Canvey Island once having to play 2 games on the same day once due to fixture backup. If ever there was a club most likely to flood it was them. Right next to the Thames and in the ground it felt like you were below the river, due to the huge dykes along the river bank.

23 hours ago, 22A said:

In another life, Paul Cook could’ve been our manager iirc, @Kid in the Riot will know!

14 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

I've got a vague memory of Canvey Island once having to play 2 games on the same day once due to fixture backup. If ever there was a club most likely to flood it was them. Right next to the Thames and in the ground it felt like you were below the river, due to the huge dykes along the river bank.

Right now the Scottish Challenge Cup final is being played between Airedrionians and TNS.

This competition is for Scottish Championship, league 1 & League 2 sides plus invited clubs from Wales, NI and the RoI.

TNS took the lead but are losing 2-1 with 20 mins to go. No non Scottish team has ever won this.

On 15/03/2024 at 23:03, Hamdon Mart said:

Must admit I'm quite heavily involved with a club at risk of going down and we don't really have any idea as to how many are going down. I think it's hardly a big gamble to say Bishop Sutton and Cheddar will be the bottom two & if I were them, which I'm not, I'd be planning for next season at a step down. My side, Hengrove, are third bottom but have the other four teams in the bottom five to play still so our fate is in our hands........

I've spoken with you a few times when you've dropped the programmes for us at Cadbury and always admired your honesty when talking of Hengrove and their 'limitations' (I mean that in a respectful manner). I think you'll be okay this season but will be tight finish for a few teams. 

If we're honest, everyone is stuck with guessing what the FA/leagues will do and whilst I'd expect at least 2 to go down, I guess there could be a good number of changes next season with the rumours you've heard. I still maintain that with the Prem division having at least the same amount of Cornish teams next season, it'll make for an interesting set of play off fixtures 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arrytheb said:

I've spoken with you a few times when you've dropped the programmes for us at Cadbury and always admired your honesty when talking of Hengrove and their 'limitations' (I mean that in a respectful manner). I think you'll be okay this season but will be tight finish for a few teams. 

If we're honest, everyone is stuck with guessing what the FA/leagues will do and whilst I'd expect at least 2 to go down, I guess there could be a good number of changes next season with the rumours you've heard. I still maintain that with the Prem division having at least the same amount of Cornish teams next season, it'll make for an interesting set of play off fixtures 😂

Ah thanks, that's very kind of you, appreciate those words. Limitations is a great word and no disrespect taken either, it was a good way of putting it.

The last couple of games since I posted that have seen two wins so things are already looking brighter & with us still having to play a few of the teams around us, I would hope we had enough to stay up. 

Watched the 'Grove come from a goal down to beat Odd Down 2-1. Two wins now on the bounce and has taken them up to 17th, although lower teams have games in hand. Just need for the leagues to restructure themselves and we will know where we really are come August.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Taunton v Slough tonight is off due to a waterlogged pitch.

For some reason, Bridgwater United Women played on it yesterday. Has been a lot of rain in past 24 hours in Taunton apparently but seems a strange decision to allow another club to play on it when the surface is so fragile. 

• Like 2

• Admin
5 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

What the….

That's incredible, there's worse photos further down the tweets 

I can only assume they were so desperate to get the game played it didn't matter what state it was in 

11 hours ago, phantom said:

That's incredible, there's worse photos further down the tweets 

I can only assume they were so desperate to get the game played it didn't matter what state it was in 

I believe the requirement is that there is no danger posed to players and officials and that all lines can be seen from the centre spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdFwl11WUAg I minute in.

Edited by 22A
  • Thanks 1