IGNORED

Non League Thread 2023/24

phantom

8 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

@petehinton is the Hand OK for Southern League?

The Clevedon team are there or thereabouts for promotion this season.

It will be yep as they were at that level for years before the old owner decided to pull the plug.  One of my best mates is manager, will be heading down there as much as I can until the end of the season!

• Admin

The FA has written to leagues at Steps 5&6 telling them there will be no extension to the season.

(Games that don't involve clubs with a possibility of promotion or relegation may be rescheduled to no later than 4th May.)

• Like 1

On 29/02/2024 at 14:21, Silvio Dante said:

Anecdotally, and I know it’s grassroots, I’ve not known a year like this for call offs for sometime. The Avon Youth League are allowing extension of the season and pitches that are playable are so unavailable we’re seeing sides from South Bristol trying to hire our 3G at Sodbury. It’s absolutely mental out there trying to get games on and Taunton is a microsm of that at a higher level

It's not anecdotal, it's a fact. I'd say I've had 50-60 calls this week wanting to hire our 3G pitch and there's very little, if any room. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Hamdon Mart said:

It's not anecdotal, it's a fact. I'd say I've had 50-60 calls this week wanting to hire our 3G pitch and there's very little, if any room. 

We’ve hired out one in Weston to get our game on in Somerset County Prem. 

Tried to get the GFA pitch last weekend but that was already booked, can’t believe you’ve had 50/60 calls though, that is mental. 

Don’t really know what the answer is, playing through summer wouldn’t be ideal because of everyone wanting to go on their holidays & of course the high 30 degs weather we’ve experienced lastc couple of years at times. 

Edited by Carey 6

11 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Tried to get the GFA pitch last weekend but that was already booked, can’t believe you’ve had 50/60 calls though, that is mental. 

Don’t really know what the answer is, playing through summer wouldn’t be ideal because of everyone wanting to go on their holidays & of course the high 30 degs weather we’ve experienced lastc couple of years at times. 

It's the GFA pitch that I'm on about. I deal wth the pitch hire bookings amongst other things and it's no exaggeration to say I could have filled it up from 9am - 7pm half a dozen times this weekend. 

• Like 1

Dancing in the streets of Banks O'Dee tonight as they hit the top of the competitive Highland League!

Interesting story; survived a 24 point deduction last season which was their first ever at that level when they replaced the hapless Fort William. Romantic name but it's a leisure centre in Aberdeen and they get players from Aberdeen FC I think. Not sure if they'd be allowed into the SFL if they won the league and the play off?

image.thumb.png.da41462402ce9e4be662f93ed08da605.png

• Admin
16 minutes ago, fgrsimon said:

Dancing in the streets of Banks O'Dee tonight as they hit the top of the competitive Highland League!

Interesting story; survived a 24 point deduction last season which was their first ever at that level when they replaced the hapless Fort William. Romantic name but it's a leisure centre in Aberdeen and they get players from Aberdeen FC I think. Not sure if they'd be allowed into the SFL if they won the league and the play off?

I noticed they drew their big top of the table clash in the week 

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Unusually high amount of rain Aug - Jan tbf. Though with climate change that may well continue 

8 hours ago, petehinton said:

It will be yep as they were at that level for years before the old owner decided to pull the plug.  One of my best mates is manager, will be heading down there as much as I can until the end of the season!

@petehinton Alex has done a great job with my ex first team manager as an assistant and my goalkeeper, centre back and centre mid 🤣🤣🤣

They've pumped the budget up, but are still one of the lowest I  the division.

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, NcnsBcfc said:

@petehinton Alex has done a great job with my ex first team manager as an assistant and my goalkeeper, centre back and centre mid 🤣🤣🤣

They've pumped the budget up, but are still one of the lowest I  the division.

Yep by a distance too. When compared to clubs like Bridgy who are paying some players in the hundreds per game!!

On 29/02/2024 at 14:21, Silvio Dante said:

Anecdotally, and I know it’s grassroots, I’ve not known a year like this for call offs for sometime. The Avon Youth League are allowing extension of the season and pitches that are playable are so unavailable we’re seeing sides from South Bristol trying to hire our 3G at Sodbury. It’s absolutely mental out there trying to get games on and Taunton is a microsm of that at a higher level

22 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

Meanwhile in the Lowland League the top 7 are; 

Pos Club P W D L F A GD Pts
1 East Kilbride 27 21 3 3 81 38 43 66
2 Cumbernauld Colts 27 16 6 5 57 32 25 54
3 Bo’ness United 28 17 3 8 59 40 19 54
4 Heart of Midlothian B 27 15 6 6 74 34 40 51
5 Tranent 25 15 4 6 57 27 30 49
6 Celtic B 27 14 4 9 66 37 29 46
7 Linlithgow Rose 26 12 7 7 56 33 23 43

The winners play off H&A against the Highland champions. The winner of that game play off H&A against the bottom team in League 2 for the right to be in the Scottish league next season.

Meanwhile at the foot of the Lowland league;

17 Gretna 2008 28 2 2 24 23 104 -81 8
18 Edinburgh University 27 1 2 24 31 115 -84 5

We say that in the EFL Championship anyone can beat any one, but in Scots League 2 last week, the bottom team Clyde, were away to the leaders and won 6-1. 🥴

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

@NcnsBcfc Scott Bartlett being a ******* whopper again I see…. Imagine my shock!!!

Yes mate, my first team manager was fuming.

We booked the 3g next to Weston's ground to play Keynsham. We've only played 7 games in 4 months at County Prem. My reserves haven't played at all since 27th Janz due to postponements.

Weston's game at Chippenham was called off and they literally kicked us off as they wanted a training game.

Some poor woman had to phone my Chairman and offer a full refund, but that isn't the point. It was a 2pm game and they could have trained afterwards or tomorrow?

An absolute w##ker.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Sad news for anyone who remembers Scott Hendy the ex Mangotsfield United centre back. He has passed away aged 45 at a pub in Pilning. Head injuries and apparently someone in their 20s has been arrested.

Edited by handsofclay
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Sad news for anyone who remembers Scott Hendy the ex Mangotsfield United centre back. He has passed away aged 45 at a pub in Pilning. Head injuries and apparently someone in their 20s has been arrested.

I do.  Played against once or twice, just as he was breaking into Mangotsfield’s first team.  I’m guessing a fight from your description.  Good player.

• Like 1

On 02/03/2024 at 18:53, petehinton said:

@NcnsBcfc Scott Bartlett being a ******* whopper again I see…. Imagine my shock!!!

Bizarre day for Keynsham then as their first team game at Crown Fields was postponed very, very late after a shower of rain. Wincanton Town had arrived and warmed up apparently before the shower... seems strange. 

• Admin
14 hours ago, handsofclay said:

Bloody hell thats horrendous 

A name well recognised around local football 

May he rest in peace 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, handsofclay said:

A guy has been charged with GBH (prior to SH's death) and is in Court this morning.

Given that Scott passed away last night, the charges will probably be upgraded in due course.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

A guy has been charged with GBH (prior to SH's death) and is in Court this morning.

Given that Scott passed away last night, the charges will probably be upgraded in due course.

Yep, confirmed here - now manslaughter. As sub-judice we probably now shouldn’t comment further.

• Like 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Another Taunton home match off tonight I see 

They really need to find an alternative PDQ 

Does anyone know if Truros venture to Gloucester was a one-off or something more permanent? 

Screenshot_20240305_210049_Flashscore.jpg

Not sure, Phantom, but Truro are playing at least one more game there, versus Chelmsford on Saturday night (yes, Saturday night) at 7.30pm. 

Gloucester City are hosting Boston United at 3pm before Truro's game later on. So there will be a National League North game followed by a National League South game on the same pitch, the same day. 

Having seen the pictures of Taunton's pitch on their Twitter account earlier, think they will struggle to play any time soon unless we have a good 4-5 days of absolutely no rain at all and decent drying winds! 

• Thanks 1

On 02/03/2024 at 20:09, 22A said:

Meanwhile in the Lowland League the top 7 are; 

Pos Club P W D L F A GD Pts
1 East Kilbride 27 21 3 3 81 38 43 66
2 Cumbernauld Colts 27 16 6 5 57 32 25 54
3 Bo’ness United 28 17 3 8 59 40 19 54
4 Heart of Midlothian B 27 15 6 6 74 34 40 51
5 Tranent 25 15 4 6 57 27 30 49
6 Celtic B 27 14 4 9 66 37 29 46
7 Linlithgow Rose 26 12 7 7 56 33 23 43

The winners play off H&A against the Highland champions. The winner of that game play off H&A against the bottom team in League 2 for the right to be in the Scottish league next season.

Meanwhile at the foot of the Lowland league;

17 Gretna 2008 28 2 2 24 23 104 -81 8
18 Edinburgh University 27 1 2 24 31 115 -84 5

We say that in the EFL Championship anyone can beat any one, but in Scots League 2 last week, the bottom team Clyde, were away to the leaders and won 6-1. 🥴

Yes I have a bit of an obsession with Scottish lower league football (let's face it the SPL is the most boring league anywhere!)

East Kilbride have been knocking on the door for a few years now and the Lowland League teams generally are a bit stronger than Highland, so it could be their year this year. I do like the idea of the bottom team having a last chance saloon to stay in the league through the play-off.

11 hours ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Not sure, Phantom, but Truro are playing at least one more game there, versus Chelmsford on Saturday night (yes, Saturday night) at 7.30pm. 

Gloucester City are hosting Boston United at 3pm before Truro's game later on. So there will be a National League North game followed by a National League South game on the same pitch, the same day. 

Having seen the pictures of Taunton's pitch on their Twitter account earlier, think they will struggle to play any time soon unless we have a good 4-5 days of absolutely no rain at all and decent drying winds! 

So of the 4 teams due to play on the Gloucester City pitch on Saturday, one of the 'home' teams has the longest journey to get there!

Gloucester play Boston and Truro play Chelmsford.