IGNORED

Non League Thread 2023/24

phantom

Sad news reached me yesterday of the passing of Dale Dempsey, one of local football's more colourful characters.

Obviously a Blue rather than a Red, his knowledge of local football was amazing and many of the people on this thread would have known DD. He was manager of Oldland Abbots when I was secretary there but he'd probably be better known for his connections with BRJSC.

Died after a battle with cancer, early-mid 60's I'd guess. His lad Josh was one of the top NL keepers around, played against Cheltenham in the FA Cup for Yate a few years back. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Hamdon Mart said:

Sad news reached me yesterday of the passing of Dale Dempsey, one of local football's more colourful characters.

Obviously a Blue rather than a Red, his knowledge of local football was amazing and many of the people on this thread would have known DD. He was manager of Oldland Abbots when I was secretary there but he'd probably be better known for his connections with BRJSC.

Died after a battle with cancer, early-mid 60's I'd guess. His lad Josh was one of the top NL keepers around, played against Cheltenham in the FA Cup for Yate a few years back. 

RIP

I played football with Josh, when he was in goal for Yate on a Saturday he’d moonlight with his mates on a Sunday morning at Lansdown. Great lad, absolutely superb footballer both in and out of goal. Hard as hell - was playing CB with him once and neither of us called. The outcome was me on the floor with a concussion and Josh looking as if nothing had happened.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

RIP

I played football with Josh, when he was in goal for Yate on a Saturday he’d moonlight with his mates on a Sunday morning at Lansdown. Great lad, absolutely superb footballer both in and out of goal. Hard as hell - was playing CB with him once and neither of us called. The outcome was me on the floor with a concussion and Josh looking as if nothing had happened.

That sounds about right, Silvio. As you say, superb in and out of goal and I've seen him play at CB and CF, his height giving him an advantage over most opponents. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

The draw for the FA Trophy Quarter Finals have been made.

Ties to take place on Saturday 9th March.

20240212_153153.jpg

Was at Hampton & Richmond v Macclesfield in r5 on Saturday. Macclesfield were far and away the better team. Brought a decent away following too. Their two wingers were particular stand out performers. They're flying up through the leagues following reforming, fancy them to go all the way.

26 minutes ago, cellist said:

Was at Hampton & Richmond v Macclesfield in r5 on Saturday. Macclesfield were far and away the better team. Brought a decent away following too. Their two wingers were particular stand out performers. They're flying up through the leagues following reforming, fancy them to go all the way.

Not finding it so easy this season, just outside the play offs at the moment. Some big teams and money at that level this season.

On 08/02/2024 at 07:49, Kid in the Riot said:

End of March is the same deadline for ground improvements set by the FA every year.

Thornbury Town need to start work on a new 100 capacity stand by end of March too, or potentially face relegation. 

We’ll be fine… 

Planning permission is in and there’s plenty of time to get the stand up 🤥

Anyway, our new clubhouse didn’t hit any problems when building that (meant to open September, still not open yet…) so we shouldn’t have any issue with the stand. 

Trying to progress on Council/Trust land is proving to be extremely difficult. 

Our main issue is having a ground that was out of place in County League and then having a really good group of players who got us back to back promotions to the Hellenic Prem. We’re still 5 years behind (at least) off the pitch to even come close to some of the teams we face. 

As we’re, probably nationally as well, the only team without a playing budget at that level. We are punching way above our weight. Unless some local millionaire (Aaron B*nks lives nearby…) wants to plough money in, we’re constantly playing catch up. 

Anyway, lovely game tonight against Worcester City. Hopefully a big crowd down there! 

• Like 1

For the first time in about 18 months BMF won in added time, whereas for the last 18 months they've been losing games in added time

Fully deserved today, although Exmouth didn't look like a side in a relegation fight.

Definite red card for them and Exmouth lucky to escape another. Farm won in the 98th of 98 minutes and the referee said that if Farm didn't score from the shot they'd have been awarded a penalty 

On 16/02/2024 at 19:47, NcnsBcfc said:

I see our old Andy Llewelyn (top postman... 🤣) has been put on "gardening leave" by Bridgwater Utd. It was never going to end well was it?

That club is an absolute cluster....

Story goes he has a stadium ban, so has been placed on gardening leave until it’s over so that the owner can take charge on match days for the games Andy will miss…

• Admin

Torquay United boss Gary Johnson says his side are "bereft of confidence" after their 1-0 loss at 10-man Braintree in National League South.

The hosts played for 65 minutes with 10 men following Alfie Pavey's red card after an incident with Ross Marshall.

But despite Torquay's man advantage, Tom Blackwell's goal 10 minutes after half-time proved to be decisive.

The Gulls have dropped to 12th in National League South after one win in their last 11 league matches.

"We've got a squad of players, but some of them have not produced for a little while now," Johnson told BBC Radio Devon.

"It's a little bit of confidence in them, they all looked today bereft of confidence and they do things that they don't normally do, and what they should do they're not doing."

Johnson has come under increasing pressure from supporters unhappy with the club's recent slump - they were relegated from the National League at the end of last season, just two years after missing out on promotion to League Two on penalties.

Torquay United Supporters Trust are organising a yellow card protest at the Gulls' next home game on Saturday against Aveley with the club at the lowest point in their history in terms of league position.

"I understand the supporters' disappointment because it's the same as ours, exactly the same," Johnson added.

"We wanted to try and turn it around for them, but at the moment that's not happening.

"But it's something that, whatever happens, you're trying to do your best for the football club, and that includes the supporters.

"The ones that were here today I appreciate them because it's a long way from Torquay to here and we didn't give them anything.

"We have to address that and see where we go from there."

TAKEN FROM: Torquay United 'bereft of confidence' in Braintree loss - Gary Johnson - BBC Sport

On 17/02/2024 at 21:34, transfer reader said:

For the first time in about 18 months BMF won in added time, whereas for the last 18 months they've been losing games in added time

Fully deserved today, although Exmouth didn't look like a side in a relegation fight.

Definite red card for them and Exmouth lucky to escape another. Farm won in the 98th of 98 minutes and the referee said that if Farm didn't score from the shot they'd have been awarded a penalty 

That's not good to hear about Exmouth not looking like a relegation side. I watch Paulton and at the moment and they very much look like a relegation side. Exmouth are the only team below them in the table.

8 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

That's not good to hear about Exmouth not looking like a relegation side. I watch Paulton and at the moment and they very much look like a relegation side. Exmouth are the only team below them in the table.

From a brief chat with their manager afterwards it sounds like they've had a bit of bad luck, missed their last 8 penalties, 6 of those when 1 goal ahead.

My dad went down to Exmouth for the BMF away game down there (also ended 3-2 to BMF) and he said they weren't a bad side then either.

Bashley were easily the worst side I've seen at BMF this season. Didn't try and win at all, but unfortunately got the point they came to get- also the first time I saw a 0-0 down there in about 15 years.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

From a brief chat with their manager afterwards it sounds like they've had a bit of bad luck, missed their last 8 penalties, 6 of those when 1 goal ahead.

My dad went down to Exmouth for the BMF away game down there (also ended 3-2 to BMF) and he said they weren't a bad side then either.

Bashley were easily the worst side I've seen at BMF this season. Didn't try and win at all, but unfortunately got the point they came to get- also the first time I saw a 0-0 down there in about 15 years.

Bashley beat Paulton 4-1 on Saturday so that shows where we are at. Tough gig for Tooze's 1st shot at management.

7 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Bashley beat Paulton 4-1 on Saturday so that shows where we are at. Tough gig for Tooze's 1st shot at management.

I hope Paulton stay up, nice to keep the local games, but also hoping Exmouth can stay up, really easy away game to get to.

Need Westbury or Bashley to get dragged down into it.

• Like 1

Manor Farm battered playoff rivals Bemerton Heath 4-0 today.

Really good performance today, which weirdly was both harsh on Bemerton but also didn't flatter Farm.

2 early goals gave a good lead and so Farm were able to play without pressure after that.

3rd goal was an own goal, a header hit the crossbar and went in off the goalkeeper.

• Like 1

On 12/02/2024 at 22:50, 22A said:

Back to Scotland for some real atmosphere; Port Glasgow & Greenock Juniors are a few miles apart and both compete in the West Of Scotland League Division 3.

Scottish Div 2 Peterhead v Elgin.