IGNORED

Non League Thread 2023/24

phantom

13 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’ll be at Yate Tuesday (providing it survives) so will be able to see how Taylor pans out. The striker was hugely needed as the Bluebells do have an aversion to scoring…

Think McCootie suspended for tomorrow but not sure about Tuesday. Sent off at Yeovil on Boxing Day

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

That has all the signs of a club folding.

I think they’ll be okay.  They’re at a good level, players will snap up the opportunity to go there short term from the leagues below. 

Where it’ll really come home to roost, is April / May time when they’re likely going to have a few 4 game gameweeks due to all the postponement. 

• Like 1

• Admin
7 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

Bit harsh of the chairman complaining that they've fallen down the league table when they've only played like 1 or 2 games in a couple of months!

Crazy he doesn't recognise that 

On 05/01/2024 at 21:04, Silvio Dante said:

That has all the signs of a club folding.

Taunton have been paying players big money for the last 4-5 years, this was always on the cards.

Lloyd Irish who has come out with this statement, actually left Taunton 18 months ago to play for Barnstaple. At the time Barnstaple had a new chairman and were throwing cash to players. Irish soon returned to Taunton when Barnstaple got relegated, and that money stopped being paid.🙄.

I think that tells you everything about him as a person. It seems the money is more important than any kind of loyalty. 

Taunton rely solely on gate money to pay their high wages, so potentially this was going to happen sooner or later. 

• Like 1

On 04/01/2024 at 21:27, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

See that Jack Taylor has returned to Bridgwater from Corsham. Expected to sign a few more players in the next couple of weeks from higher divisions as well. Hope they fail miserably.

A lot of people in Bridgwater actually feel the same. I’ve watched them on and off for 50 years, but refuse to go anymore, I won’t give the criminal owner a penny. 

The town’s club is an absolute embarrassment. Owned now by a complete buffoon.

• Like 2

Nat League South table this morning; Yeovil remain 10 points clear at the top, but  Bath down to 6th, Torquay drop to 8th and out of the play off places. WSM 18th and Taunton 19th. 

1 hour ago, Coach said:

Goal and MOTM for James Taylor for Yate last night, also goals for both the ex-Taunton lads, all three making their home debuts for the club!

Taunton have brought in two City youngsters on loan; Zac Bell and Marley Rose. Guessing they aren't paying for them, and City are happy to loan them out for guaranteed game time. 

Taunton still have six games left to play this month, five of which are at home! 

Just checked, it's six matches between 13-30 January, so over 17 days. On average a game every 2.8 days!!

Edited by Kid in the Riot

• Admin
1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Taunton have brought in two City youngsters on loan; Zac Bell and Marley Rose. Guessing they aren't paying for them, and City are happy to loan them out for guaranteed game time. 

Taunton still have six games left to play this month, five of which are at home! 

Just checked, it's six matches between 13-30 January, so over 17 days. On average a game every 2.8 days!!

At least the Chairman can stop moaning about a lack of income now

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Well, he wasn't wrong.... cashflow becomes a massive issue for a club Taunton's size when games of 2k - 3k attendance (v Torquay and Yeovil) are postponed by a couple of months.

If they are budgeting for almost every penny going to go straight back out they have bigger problems on the horizon for sure

The cost of football is ludicrous and only going up each year. 

Which baffles me as to why clubs like Yate, Cribbs, Manor Farm etc. pay players a hefty wedge when they don’t get anywhere near that back in revenue. 

Go up a few leagues where the attendances are higher and prize money is more lucrative than Step 3/4/5 and then you’re paying more for players to just survive whilst the likes of Yeovil, Scunthorpe etc. who’ve fallen out the football league but have the reputation and fan base behind them to cope with the outgoings smash it.

At what point to the owners of these clubs start getting a return? 

The chap at Dorking Wanderers must be extremely out of pocket. I appreciate the people do it for a good cause etc. but surely there’s a way to stop/reduce money being spent that far down the pyramid? 

Hanham were paying a player in the Combination Prem last year…. Baffling

46 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Which baffles me as to why clubs like Yate, Cribbs, Manor Farm etc. pay players a hefty wedge when they don’t get anywhere near that back in revenue. 

To be fair, that applies also to us and the vast majority of League clubs as well....

3 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

The cost of football is ludicrous and only going up each year. 

Go up a few leagues where the attendances are higher and prize money is more lucrative than Step 3/4/5 and then you’re paying more for players to just survive whilst the likes of Yeovil, Scunthorpe etc. who’ve fallen out the football league but have the reputation and fan base behind them to cope with the outgoings smash it.

At what point to the owners of these clubs start getting a return? 

The chap at Dorking Wanderers must be extremely out of pocket. I appreciate the people do it for a good cause etc. but surely there’s a way to stop/reduce money being spent that far down the pyramid? 

Hanham were paying a player in the Combination Prem last year…. Baffling

I mean, for Manor Farm their attendances have gone up about 6 fold in the last 15 years.

Tuesday, on a bitterly cold night where the game was almost abandoned before kickoff, they had 178, pretty sure that's their lowest (league) crowd of the season and it's more than treble their old high crowds.

Not sure exactly how the money gets split, but almost every weekend, if not then every other weekend, there's a function held in the bar that's bringing in more money, that never used to be the case either.

Location by the station with regular trains means people dont have to worry about driving meaning they can drink a bit more too.

They also have a tiny squad (3 on the bench most weeks) so I'd be surprised if most weeks they're spending beyond their means.

Less familiar with Cribbs, although they have a far nicer function room and I'm sure they get plenty of use from it.

The grounds have sponsorships too now and they do hospitality, which they didn't used to have either. They won't be monumental amounts, but will play a part.

10 hours ago, transfer reader said:

I mean, for Manor Farm their attendances have gone up about 6 fold in the last 15 years.

Tuesday, on a bitterly cold night where the game was almost abandoned before kickoff, they had 178, pretty sure that's their lowest (league) crowd of the season and it's more than treble their old high crowds.

Not sure exactly how the money gets split, but almost every weekend, if not then every other weekend, there's a function held in the bar that's bringing in more money, that never used to be the case either.

Location by the station with regular trains means people dont have to worry about driving meaning they can drink a bit more too.

They also have a tiny squad (3 on the bench most weeks) so I'd be surprised if most weeks they're spending beyond their means.

Less familiar with Cribbs, although they have a far nicer function room and I'm sure they get plenty of use from it.

The grounds have sponsorships too now and they do hospitality, which they didn't used to have either. They won't be monumental amounts, but will play a part.

Again, I could be wrong as it’s hearsay. The Cribbs ground is still owned by AXA/Sunlife so the function room profits don’t go to the football club and recently there has been a ‘fallout’ over this happening. Money from the bar going to the Football Club. I assume they wouldn’t mind a bit going back, but not the amounts that were going back. 

Manor Farm I appreciate is well ran off the pitch, however they still attract some well known players, who wouldn’t be turning up because they want to play on the river. Wouldn’t surprise me if Clubs at that level had a weekly budget of £5k. Most players on £100-£200 a game with 2 games a week most weeks. That’s a lot of money when, as proven by Taunton a few leagues up, Sponsorship is hard to come by, gate receipts don’t bring that in and you get next to nowt back for league/cup performances (unless you make it deep into a competition)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

To be fair, that applies also to us and the vast majority of League clubs as well....

With Football league you get TV money to help with the shortfall and, especially nowadays, it seems that owners are only getting involved to effectively sponsor their other business. Which can make it profitable for them in that regard. 

But down at step 6-2 you’re ploughing money into something that is very unlikely going to yield a return. As the next level requires even more input with no other form of income other than Bar/Clubhouse, FA Cup/Vase/Trophy and Sponsorship and minimal gate receipts (compared to the money being spent on players wages) 

The fact that in Bristol, a team at Step 8, we’re paying is ludicrous and in my opinion the more teams that start the quicker there will be a collapse in the grassroots game.