IGNORED

Sid Out

Numero Uno

Hard to say it but I’m almost at the point that I hope we lose matches so the inevitable conclusion (Tinnion getting sacked) is expedited. No big problem with Manning- feel sorry for him tbh. 

Haven’t felt that way since the latter stages of when Holden was manger or before that Tinnion. Knew the 7-1 v Swansea would finish him so the cloud had a silver lining. 

Edited by Ben1980
  • Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, Ben1980 said:

Hard to say it but I’m almost at the point that I hope we lose matches so the inevitable conclusion (Tinnion getting sacked) is expedited. No big problem with Manning- feel sorry for him tbh. 

Haven’t felt that way since Holden was manger or before that Tinnion. Knew the 7-1 v Swansea would finish him so the cloud had a silver lining. 

Not v Cardiff though! 

On 27/02/2024 at 14:42, robinforlife2 said:

Pearson's sacking was nothing to do with money.

The club simply didn't like that he was more respected than them, in certain elements of the supporter base, and when things weren't going well for him, he went public to keep the fans on his side. The second he done this, there is no way the club would sit there and stand for it. Pearson was not sacked for football or financial reasons! It was because those running the club simply didn't like him, his approach or his popularity. The day he questioned Jon Lansdown's ambition, was the day he secured his P45.

The new appointments are definitely all on Tinnion, but I don't think he was behind NP's sacking, he secured that all by himself. 

If i was a billionaire in the public eye, I wouldn’t put up with it either,,, its clear to me that pearson wasnt well liked, and that played a significant role in him getting sacked, and being sat in midtable was a good enough excuse to do it.

• Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 5

The GJ sacking I was away from Bristol at the time, got to a few games a season and saw some TV games obviously.

Clearly this NP one is the worst but GJ.

Was it widely seen as positive, run his course? Were there chants at games for his departure or not really?

I also appreciate things run their course and Coppell did seem a go for it now candidate..

...Sadly he went for it early, the exit door!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

12 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think its more likely that Tinnion would be reporting to the bosses who lamped the player 🐍 

Yes. 

Well,he is 'allegedly' a coward*. So I think that you are right.

*'Alleged' by me for a start.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I also appreciate things run their course and Coppell did seem a go for it now candidate..

Says everything about NP imo that he didn't do the same. He said when he came in, something along the lines that it was a 'strangely run club'.

I think he saw what Coppell saw. A mark of the man (imo) that he stuck it out and tried to help us. 

As far as I am concerned the 'club apologists' can **** off. It's clear to see over the Lansdowns history who was in the right.

• Like 14

3 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Says everything about NP imo that he didn't do the same. He said when he came in, something along the lines that it was a 'strangely run club'.

I think he saw what Coppell saw. A mark of the man (imo) that he stuck it out and tried to help us. 

As far as I am concerned the 'club apologists' can **** off. It's clear to see over the Lansdowns history who was in the right.

Agreed. Feel we made a significant strategic error, as you say he could have taken one look (though tbh him and Gould  worked well) but one look at some of our structural shortcomings but no he seemed to be enjoying and relishing the challenge.

I hope for the best but feel we are strategically worse off post NP. A man of real integrity. I remember that comment and correctly labelling the sell to speculate as bonkers but he still toughed it out and improved us.

When I say post NP, I don't mean after his input I mean the decision to replace weakens us.

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The GJ sacking I was away from Bristol at the time, got to a few games a season and saw some TV games obviously.

Clearly this NP one is the worst but GJ.

Was it widely seen as positive, run his course? Were there chants at games for his departure or not really?

It did feel he'd ran out of gas. I liked him immensely & we could so easily have beaten Hull in the final.  Sadly the more players he was allowed to buy, the worse we became. I think his brother was the full extent of the scouting team! Our purchases from Solvakia & Costa Rica were somewhat disappointing but the latter had locks to rival Russell Martin!

None of it mattered as we appointed Steve Coppell & the rest is history.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

It did feel he'd ran out of gas. I liked him immensely & we could so easily have beaten Hull in the final.  Sadly the more players he was allowed to buy, the worse we became. I think his brother was the full extent of the scouting team! Our purchases from Solvakia & Costa Rica were somewhat disappointing but the latter had locks to rival Russell Martin!

None of it mattered as we appointed Steve Coppell & the rest is history.....

Did we always use and like I say I was in and out but did we always use some of them in the best way?

I'm thinking it had potential to be quite flowing at times especially at that time with a front 3 including Sabario and Maynard and a midfield 3 containing Sno and Hartley. Quite fluid too.Elliott at his best was like 2 midfielders so he could have provided a lot. Hartley deeper lying, spraying it around, technically fine and more mobile, Elliott with his energy and intensity. 

Maynard pre injury between his first few months and the end of 2009-10 well..some of the goals especially that he created himself some videos on YouTube for a good 5-10 of fond memories.

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Did we always use and like I say I was in and out but did we always use some of them in the best way?

I'm thinking it had potential to be quite flowing at times especially at that time with a front 3 including Sabario and Maynard and a midfield 3 containing Sno and Hartley. Quite fluid too.Elliott at his best was like 2 midfielders so he could have provided a lot. Hartley deeper lying, spraying it around, technically fine and more mobile, Elliott with his energy and intensity. 

Maynard pre injury between his first few months and the end of 2009-10 well..some of the goals especially that he created himself some videos on YouTube for a good 5-10 of fond memories.

In terms of personnel, I actually thought that GJ made, on the whole, very good signings for us (obvs a few duds... Bas Savage??? ... and the striker that was a left back).

My biggest gripe was the lack of use of David Noble. Yes, he may have had his off field demons, but he was by far the best player for talent in the squad in all the time he was here.

Sadly, most of us know that his non-selection was nothing to do with his life away from the pitch. 

But that has been done to death, and I certainly don't wish to derail this thread.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Superjack said:

In terms of personnel, I actually thought that GJ made, on the whole, very good signings for us (obvs a few duds... Bas Savage??? ... and the striker that was a left back).

My biggest gripe was the lack of use of David Noble. Yes, he may have had his off field demons, but he was by far the best player for talent in the squad in all the time he was here.

Sadly, most of us know that his non-selection was nothing to do with his life away from the pitch. 

But that has been done to death, and I certainly don't wish to derail this thread.

Ah Noble..yes like you won't derail, when he was good though he offered  a way to play him as the advanced behind the striker, morphing between a 4-3-3/4-5-1 and 4-4-1-1.

Decent hit rate for sure. Anyway yes let's stick to it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Superjack said:

I’ll derail It because the 2 things that really piss me off over the last 20 years are the nepotism when the manager played his son ahead of infinitely better players, and the nepotism when the owner found a way to sack the most successful manager he’d ever had in order to appoint his “son”

Edited by NickJ
  • Flames 4

7 minutes ago, NickJ said:

I’ll derail It because the 2 things that really piss me off over the last 20 years are the nepotism when the manager played his son ahead of infinitely better players, and the nepotism when the owner found a way to sack the most successful manager he’d ever had in order to appoint his “son”

Absolutely agree.

But I still don't want this thread derailed for good reason.

• Like 1

Just now, Superjack said:

Absolutely agree.

But I still don't want this thread derailed for good reason.

Fair enough but it’s all part of the same underlying issue isn’t it and of course I haven’t even mentioned maybe the worst of the lot the nepotism of the owner making a complete clown in charge of the major decision making process.

In what other world would the owner of a Championship club:

Allow the manager to consistently play his son ahead of better players

Appoint a nobody as manager in preference to a proven winner

Appoint a dimwit as Chairman and Managing Director 

Promote somebody with such little credibility (pains me to say it because that aside he is still a playing hero to me despite what is being said about him on here) to such an influential position.

So yes in a way this thread as should all others be derailed to highlight the underlying cause of the idiotic way in which the football club is run 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 4

A Technical Director who played majority of football at that level with us along with managing unsuccessfully at that level and rooting us to the bottom upon exit. 

Add a recruitment strategy linked to lower leagues only, when players like Chris Martin are leading the way at that level, it’s shows the gap in quality.

Finally, a manager whose success at that level is losing to Wycombe in a play off, I think we can see where this is going if we are not careful  

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Leabrook said:

The amount of time people spend worrying about relegation is mind boggling!  

Maybe not this season but ShaunTaylor is right. If League one is your mentality then that's where you will end up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1