IGNORED

SEASON TICKET PRICES (Merged)

RedM

14 minutes ago, RedM said:

As others have said they are taking a gamble that after the scramble for both Manchester tickets that we can attract a big crowd week in week out.

The club would do well to remember that they actually suffered a DROP in season ticket sales at the start of this season, compared with the season before. They were fortunate to an extent with the Man U game, a once in a generation cup tie, that attracted hundreds to sign up to memberships and half-season tickets. Can't bank on that happening every season. 

Barring promotion then I suspect the club will be looking at a DROP in season ticket sales again this season when compared to the final amount sold this season (over 16k?)

What an absolutely stupid time to mess about with the pricing, at the precise moment you've managed to get thousands of new/returning season ticket holders/members. 

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The club would do well to remember that they actually suffered a DROP in season ticket sales at the start of this season, compared with the season before. They were fortunate to an extent with the Man U game, a once in a generation cup tie, that attracted hundreds to sign up to memberships and half-season tickets. Can't bank on that happening every season. 

Barring promotion then I suspect the club will be looking at a DROP in season ticket sales again this season when compared to the final amount sold this season (over 16k?)

What an absolutely stupid time to mess about with the pricing, at the precise moment you've managed to get thousands of new/returning season ticket holders/members. 

A like wasn’t enough. Totally agree

1 hour ago, RedM said:

What age does a child have to leave the family area, i guess if you have a couple of children the adult and older children can stay in there until the youngest is too old. So what happens then, a family or four or five if not more have to locate to other parts of the ground and try to find seats together, that’s pretty difficult I expect, and never mind the cost.

I’m glad there weren’t family area when I started to take my children aged around 5 and 7. We got seats in the Dolman and paid the going rate as they grew up. We are all still there, they now as fully paying adults. We have sat with similar people and watched their children grow up too, gone off to Uni and just come back during holidays etc. Some adults also have grown to be OAP’s and now have grandchildren, it’s a natural system that works, a mix of all ages, some people shout and swear, some just sit and watch. It’s how my children learnt about football, not sat in a sterile area. I guess many of the fans in this thread want the same.

Nicely summed up.....thank you.

Well after going to bed angry I woke up this morning still angry, and after sleeping on it I've come to the conclusion my love affair with Bristol City is probably over.

After being moved out of my seats for 3 of the last 5 or 6 seasons (once from the upper grandstand when the east end lads were moved in there, then from the grandstand when it was rebuilt and then finally last year when we were moved from W11 Lower Lansdown so the club could allow bizarrely for group bookings to sit there) i'm now faced with paying nearly 3 times the price for my kids under 19 tickets in W12.

Sorry Bristol City this is one kick in the nuts too many!

I've no qualms with my tickets going up from £469 to £499 but my 2 childrens tickets have gone from £97 to £255, meaning my 3 tickets have risen from £663 to £1009.

How the club can justify this is beyond me?

And to say they want all families to sit together is just rubbish. 

Football is about atmosphere, passion, the banter with the group of people you sit by. It's not about the singers all sat in one area, or all families in another.

I don't want to move seats yet again, even if they are cheaper. I also don't want to be forced up into the gods to watch my football.

So it looks like my matchday experience will now be watching it on the tele when all games are to be streamed from next season.

Thank you Bristol City. I'm glad my money and loyalty over the last 40 years counts for so much!

4 minutes ago, HIGHRIDGE BCFC said:

Well after going to bed angry I woke up this morning still angry, and after sleeping on it I've come to the conclusion my love affair with Bristol City is probably over.

After being moved out of my seats for 3 of the last 5 or 6 seasons (once from the upper grandstand when the east end lads were moved in there, then from the grandstand when it was rebuilt and then finally last year when we were moved from W11 Lower Lansdown so the club could allow bizarrely for group bookings to sit there) i'm now faced with paying nearly 3 times the price for my kids under 19 tickets in W12.

I've no qualms with my tickets going up from £469 to £499 but my 2 childrens tickets have gone from £97 to £255, meaning my 3 tickets have risen from £663 to £1009.

Football is about atmosphere, passion, the banter with the group of people you sit by. It's not about the singers all sat in one area, or all families in another.

I don't want to move seats yet again, even if they are cheaper. I also don't want to be forced up into the gods to watch my football.

So it looks like my matchday experience will now be watching it on the tele when all games are to be streamed from next season.

Thank you Bristol City. I'm glad my money and loyalty over the last 40 years counts for so much!

Sadly you won't be the only one mate. 

6 minutes ago, HIGHRIDGE BCFC said:

Piss take. The young fans are the future. And they are pricing them out of it . Unless you move. Unbelievable 

I've long been a critic of Bristol Sport, and occasionally perhaps unfairly. They allow us to save money by sharing certain jobs with the Rugby club. They have created (hashtags aside) some rather nice looking football kits that are not template. They have also made the way we recruit and analyse players much more professional. This is all good.

However my criticism has always been surrounding what it means to be a football club. That sense of identity, belonging and family seems completely lost on Bristol Sport, and I have long since believed that they see fans as expendable if it means making the Premier League.

The vast majority of football fans globally would probably expect top flight football and a central seat at the side of the pitch for £345, which is our cheapest ticket. Last years prices were too high and now they are higher. All to pay for what? Inflated wages? Agent fees? Money well spent then!

I'd say the vast majority of us would rather support a 2nd tier Bristol City with our friends & families. With a pride in our club, and with our dignity. Most of us would not want to be paying out the nose to watch top flight football when our identity, pride and fans lay by the wayside. As prices go up, we will get more and more plastic. 

For me this is a crossroads. If we let this go then the runaway train that is Bristol Sport will see no resistance and other things will change. We have to, en mass, show that we are not happy about this. The raise doesn't affect me in the SS, but reading about the guys with children looking at astronomical rises makes me so mad.

For me, the answer is a walkout/boycott. Wouldn't it be great if against Wednesday the whistle went to start the game and Ashton Gate emptied. What a message that would send. It would show that we are a club, and not a group of selfish individuals that would happily see fans suffer as long as it doesn't affect them.

I think Section 82 (@Harry) and SCAT (@Dollymarie) as our two largest fan groups need to suggest something to put up resistance. If we can put up a united front, we can stop this.

And I'll finish by saying; 'If Huddersfield can charge £179 for a ST at this level (anywhere in the ground), why can't we?'

32 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Well said, you speak alot of sense Kid.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

We got seats in the Dolman and paid the going rate as they grew up. We are all still there, they now as fully paying adults. We have sat with similar people and watched their children grow up too, gone off to Uni and just come back during holidays etc. Some adults also have grown to be OAP’s and now have grandchildren, it’s a natural system that works, a mix of all ages, some people shout and swear, some just sit and watch. It’s how my children learnt about football, not sat in a sterile area. I guess many of the fans in this thread want the same.

Couldn’t agree more @RedM

The previous pricing structure was great and encouraged this.  I didn’t want to move to a sanitised area just so I could bring kids as the other aspects of matchday are important, not just watching the match.

Happy we have a family area and the club sought to encourage families by making the first kid free in there, but going with a family shouldn’t mean that is your only option.  This is what is being engineered and is wrong.

2 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

Conspiracy hat on, have they decided to effectively price families out of the areas of the Lansdown that they’ve put the prices up by/got rid of the pricing for so that when we get promoted to the prem (this season or next) they have a bunch of free seats that they can then sell at a premium to day trippers wanting to watch top flight football. More hospitality seating etc. I know it’s not full now, but it would be if we ever got promoted.

Cos that’s how it seems to me the more I think about it. 

That’s exactly what’s happening. My 19 year old who turns 20 in October will now go from paying £99 in the Lansdown W11 to £255 . 

Basically we’re now priced out of Lansdown stand . It’s shame . 

FASCISM: "...characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition and control of industry and commerce". 

Let's add: Social Engineering, Land Grab, and Forcible Removal of Families. Tick, Tick , Tick. Welcome to Fascism, Corporate Style.

An Utter Feckin' Disgrace on Every Level.

Of course, the club will timidly bleat "... look at how many have renewed, suggesting we have got the structure right." That is why the South Stand remains low to get those numbers. In an ideal world nobody would renew and we would ALL fight. This cynical ploy sums up what total ******* Mr Ashton et al really are. Take a walk boys and girls.

6 hours ago, Matt Parsons BCFCSLO said:

Hi all,

First off I hear the frustrations that I’m seeing across OTIB, Twitter, email.

As SLO I am not responsible for setting the prices, however when I was shown them I had many of the same questions that are being voiced on this thread, so I wanted to give a quick summary.

There are lots of comments about Under 12 price rise in the Dolman and it being removed from Lansdown lower altogether. In the Lansdown, the club want to get more families sitting together and feel that is best in the family area. I understand that this means moving from lower to upper tier and possibly moving away from friends that have been made in that area and did raise this point. In the Dolman an under 12’s rate was included, (albeit the season ticket price raised from £50 to £99), and the premium seat price of £4.30 per match was still deemed good value for a child ticket in that part of the ground. At the January FAN meeting, the free shirt home shirt was deemed to be popular, so it was important that was maintained for all under 12 season card holders as it has done for the past 4 years. With more emphasis on the family area there will be a review of what is possible given the restrictions, and working with AGL & Bristol Sport we will look at improving the fan experience in that area of the ground. This also goes for continually looking to evolve the stadium as we become more familiar with the stadium renovation.

A few people asking if price rises were considered across the board and this is something I did raise. The club wanted to ensure the lowest price season card remained the same at £345. There was feedback at FAN that it would be good to look for a further reduction at entry level, however it was felt that £15 a match was still good value. The match day prices in the Lansdown and Dolman were still felt to be really good for Championship football.

There are currently no plans to expand the singing section, however as afar as I’m aware the current blocks will remain unreserved as it has done previously.

The specifics of the loyalty scheme are still being finalised and there will be a further announcement regarding what the loyalty scheme looks like in due course.

My role now as SLO  is to summarise  all of the thoughts, feelings and views of the fans and making sure everyone is aware of them back at Ashton Gate. This is is something that I will do over the next few days. As Harry mentioned I am away at the moment (a wedding that was booked before I got the job offer at the club). I will be jumping on line when I can, however please bear with me as there is a 7 hour time difference. I will be back in the office on Monday 5th March. 

Matt

Ah, the Nuremberg defense. As to "This also goes for continually looking to evolve the stadium as we become more familiar with the stadium renovation". Don't get comfy or make new friends folks, they reserve the right to throw you out of your seat at will.

As to: "the club want to get more families sitting together". No: they want you to SIT WHERE YOU ARE BL**DY TOLD! AND: PRICE out the best views for the inevitable plastics and corporate bums on seats. Cynical, distasteful and shocking. 

Bristol City: First Team: Focus On Youth.  - Supporters: Focus ON MONEY !

I'd take a walk now pal if I were you.

1 hour ago, redordead1 said:

Fantastic post. They have no grasp of what it really means to be a football supporter. It’s the relationships and shared experiences we have with our family and those around us that binds us. It’s people from different backgrounds, different ages who all share a passion for City that ensure this club moves through the generations. This social engineering will kill this off.

Very well put. There at least 3 generations of families around us in the Dolman (possibly even 4 - I wouldn't like to pre-suppose with the older folks). Have no connection with them outside of football but know every single one of them from where we sit and it's part of what makes being loyal to a club and a part of a ground so rewarding.

At the risk of sounding like Sepp ******* Blatter, that is the real "football family".

It's bizarre that the club wants to make families pay a premium to keep their youngest generation in the stand they've always gone in. Or are they asking everyone that reproduces to move to the Upper Lansdown? It'll certainly make the Dolman easier to leave but I do wonder about the atmosphere once they've cleared the lower tiers.

My lad and I ( 19 going on 20) don’t do that much together any more, he’s making his way in the world, discovering the joys and perils of the opposite sex, and understandably doesn’t want to spend to much time with his old man. But we enjoy our time at football together, it’s a common love, and to raise the price nearly 200% to sit together among friends in our favourite part of the Stadium is bloody ridiculous. Stuff you Mark Ashton. You’ve had a bloody bad 2018 . Get your act together quick. 

9 minutes ago, RedM said:

@The Original OTIB, yes it’s quite ironic isn’t it that our team is set up for the future, bringing youth through. The kids are the future with a few older experienced heads amongst them...yet we are doing the opposite for the fans. You really couldn’t make it up. :disapointed2se:

will you be formally writing to: http://www.fsf.org.uk/? I think if the Press get wind of this (FSF, Guardian, Indie, etc). the club will get rightly slaughtered. Talksport and R5 as well. Maybe we should get our own press officer?

If people are being asked to pay more then they justifiably have the right to ask to get more in return. 

Its absolutely clear that this is not the case here. The only possible improvement is the chance of promotion and early bird prices should not in my opinion, reflect that risk.

The early bird price should reward those who already have season tickets first and tempt them into another year of support. Pricing those who have made a commitment to the club out of certain areas of the ground is cynical and damages the relationship between the club and fans.

Given one of the stated aims of Bristol Sport is to embed sport into the Bristol community for generations this clearly flies in the face of that policy.

My fear, given the narrow window for initial renewals is that absolutely nothing will be done to change it. The club will nod and say they have listened and will include fan feedback when looking at future price structures and that will be it.

Follow my lead  - I have 2 children and I am actively ensuring they do not become City fans, as the price of football is pathetic and ludicrous.

I fell in love with City because of my dad's passion; I am trying not too make the same mistake with my kids.  For the record, my dad hasn't been able to go to games for about 6 years now due to the cost, even though before this, he's been attending since the early 70's.

Football is far too expensive and money can be much better spent elsewhere.

I now prefer to go to one game every month.

1 minute ago, reddogkev said:

Follow my lead  - I have 2 children and I am actively ensuring they do not become City fans, as the price of football is pathetic and ludicrous.

I fell in love with City because of my dad's passion; I am trying not too make the same mistake with my kids.  For the record, my dad hasn't been able to go to games for about 6 years now due to the cost, even though before this, he's been attending since the early 70's.

Football is far too expensive and money can be much better spent elsewhere.

I now prefer to go to one game every month.

Are you taking your kids to other football? Maybe Mangotsfield, Brislington or Manor Farm? Would be a shame for them to miss out. 

3 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Are you taking your kids to other football? Maybe Mangotsfield, Brislington or Manor Farm? Would be a shame for them to miss out. 

Interesting idea, one I haven't even considered.  Probably not though, if it's not City, it wouldn't be the same for me.

4 hours ago, Jacki said:

Of course you have a point here. It’s the way football is now, and if we want to compete for the best players I guess the money has to come from somewhere. 

However, the way this has been done stinks. There is no possible justification for the price increases in the Lansdown and Dolman for kids. In the Dolman they’ve doubled, and in the Lansdown they’ve just been made completely unaffordable. The club have played a blinder for years with the prices for kids tickets but all of the goodwill they’ve built up during that time will have gone down the toilet after these decisions. 

I sit in S82 so I’m completely unaffected by all of this, but I can see how totally unfair it is. There should have been a small increase across the stadium if they had to put prices up. At least that would be fair and logical. The way families have been treated in the Dolman, and in particular the Lansdown, is scandalous.  

Correct but we aren't competing for the best players. I thought we were unearthing "gems" and developing them. They don't cost a fortune compared to top end Champ players.

The club has dropped a huge bollock here, announcing prices when the team has been in a bit of a slump in 2018. I suspect people will wait and see how we finish, because next season theres every chance you can pick your seat once you're in the ground like last season.

2 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Interesting idea, one I haven't even considered.  Probably not though, if it's not City, it wouldn't be the same for me.

I spent the second half of last season and the first half of this season away from AG watching those three. It is very different of course, but little things remind you of what makes football great. 

I can't remember the last time I bought food and drink at AG, but at the local non-league clubs I actively want to give them my money. The tea lady greets you with a smile and friendly chat and gets me a cup of tea and some chips for less than a tea at AG would cost. 

There is less singing, and nowhere near the euphoria when a goal goes in, but if modern football is winding you up like it was/is me, then it is nothing short of refreshing. Some cracking tackles too.

I'd take 'em a bit later in the season though when it isn't so cold, even if it is just the once.

Archived