IGNORED

Mo Eisa - NOW OFFICIALLY SIGNED (merged)

GrahamC

3 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Far from an isolated example, I'm afraid. Plenty of others available - how about missing a tap in from about 2 yards away at Derby just after half time that would finished the game. On all the available evidence, and there's enough of it to take a considered view, he's not good enough as a goal-scorer at this level. Those who would persist with him are doing so on the basis of hope rather than expectation. 

I don’t disagree, Of course there’s an element of hope, but it would be the same with Marriott who some are creaming themselves over.  Taylor’s League 1 record is not too bad either in comparison.  £300k versus £6m raises huge expectation and risk.  And you’ve got to wonder where Marriott fits in with Diedhiou as the no9, and the likes of Weimann, Taylor, Paterson, Watkins, as different types of partner.

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

He`s always going to be one of those players that divides opinion I think (I am a fan of his BTW). I guess we`ll just have to wait and see what the future holds.

The question for me is do we keep MT and use him as a regular starter and pay £1.5m or so for someone like Eisa or spend £5-6m on Marriott? I think I come down in favour of the former.

Yes, a definite marmite player RRH. If I'm being honest, I've never warmed to a single player we've signed from across the river, even the ones to have played well for us, so Taylor could do a Bobby Reid next season (he won't :thumbsup:) and I still wouldn't like him - respect him, yes, but not like him. Being honest again, he does offer something a little different in being able to drop off, find space, and sometimes this pays dividends - the assist for the winner against Man U of course and also for the winner at Brighton as already mentioned earlier in this thread, but I don't think this happens often enough to justify a starting place and, as I've already stated, I don't think he'll ever get in a championship side as a goalscorer either - so what's his role? Impact sub for me, at best, to bring on when we need a Plan B and his movement might cause problems.  

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t disagree, Of course there’s an element of hope, but it would be the same with Marriott who some are creaming themselves over.  Taylor’s League 1 record is not too bad either in comparison.  £300k versus £6m raises huge expectation and risk.  And you’ve got to wonder where Marriott fits in with Diedhiou as the no9, and the likes of Weimann, Taylor, Paterson, Watkins, as different types of partner.

Can't argue with any of that, Dave.

Cheltenham want £1.5m according to Peterborough, bit pot calling the kettle black, them saying good luck asking that price for a league two, 24 year old player, coming from the club wanting £6.5m for a 24 year old league one player...

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

Cheltenham want £1.5m according to Peterborough, bit pot calling the kettle black, them saying good luck asking that price for a league two, 24 year old player, coming from the club wanting £6.5m for a 24 year old league one player...

Thought the exact same mate. 

I would tell Posh to do one, in fact I wouldn't even tell them. Just leave them be and let them do all their sh1te on social media and out in the open, it really is pathetic how they act.

16 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

He's not been here 2 years.

He's been here 18 months, and spent the majority of that time with an injury of some sort.

Thanks for telling me that, i really didn't know. Fancy Lee Johnson playing him when he's not fit, the poor bloke.  There was me thinking that his finishing was not up to championship standard. 

I think we should be taking a chance on this lad.  When I think of some of the expensive ‘one for the future’ type punts we’ve made over the past few seasons or the expensive hit and miss foreign imports we’ve brought in this one seems like a bit of a low risk, no brainer.  Sign him up, look at him until January and loan down the league if deemed not ready.

1 hour ago, marksy said:

Always thought he didn't play that much because he didn't score enough goals?

Try to keep up........:facepalm:

Taylor was carrying a groin injury early season and it eventually led to him being out for months having gone under the knife.

Every true City fan knows that.

32 minutes ago, General Zod said:

I think we should be taking a chance on this lad.  When I think of some of the expensive ‘one for the future’ type punts we’ve made over the past few seasons or the expensive hit and miss foreign imports we’ve brought in this one seems like a bit of a low risk, no brainer.  Sign him up, look at him until January and loan down the league if deemed not ready.

How is this one any more low risk than the others? 

1 hour ago, marksy said:

Thanks for telling me that, i really didn't know. Fancy Lee Johnson playing him when he's not fit, the poor bloke.  There was me thinking that his finishing was not up to championship standard. 

That was happening when we had no other choices.

Who should Johnson have played last December?

Diedhiou who was still a month away from recovering, Djuric who was in the process of having an operation, or Taylor who has a few niggles, but could manage a game?

35 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

That was happening when we had no other choices.

Who should Johnson have played last December?

Diedhiou who was still a month away from recovering, Djuric who was in the process of having an operation, or Taylor who has a few niggles, but could manage a game?

Woodrow

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Valid answer.

Though it was evidently thought that Taylor would bring more to the side even when not at 100% than Woodrow.

I disagree. Woodrow had a lot more to give than he was allowed to. Was always brought on late to see out a lead often behind the striker just to do defensive work. Arguably our best performance of the season was with Woodrow starting up front early in the year at home against Derby. Was very good that day and always said LJ missed a trick not playing him more when those 3 were injured. Instead wore Pato down and risked the same to Bobby(found out that wasn’t happening but was a fear for me at the time as he had never played more than 20 or so times in a season often off the bench!). 

24 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I disagree. Woodrow had a lot more to give than he was allowed to. Was always brought on late to see out a lead often behind the striker just to do defensive work. Arguably our best performance of the season was with Woodrow starting up front early in the year at home against Derby. Was very good that day and always said LJ missed a trick not playing him more when those 3 were injured. Instead wore Pato down and risked the same to Bobby(found out that wasn’t happening but was a fear for me at the time as he had never played more than 20 or so times in a season often off the bench!). 

I'm not saying Woodrow was poor, I actually defended him a fair bit last season.

But I'm saying that those in the best position to judge deemed a not fully fit Taylor a better option than him.

2 hours ago, JBFC II said:

How is this one any more low risk than the others? 

He’s not going to cost a fortune, he’s playing locally so would know the area and hopefully would have heard good things about us from the management and loanees so you hope he would settle reasonably quick. Compared to punts on the likes of Taylor Moore, Engvall, Eliasson it feels like he ticks a few boxes.  All transfers carry a risk though.

29 minutes ago, Sergio Georgini said:

He wasn't given a chance because every time the manager put faith in him he was utterly useless.

Harsh but he certainly didn't pull up any trees. I may have missed the clamour for him to be picked at the time though.:shifty:

Often the best way for a player to enhance his reputation is to spend a long time on the bench.;)

17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Sunderland said to have offered £1m for him today.

If we do want him we will have to make a move soon.

That’s interesting. I suppose it’s less of a risk for Sunderland as he would only have to move up one division. If he helped them get promotion, but couldn’t cut it in the Championship, it would still be worth the money. 

6 minutes ago, ooRya said:

Scored again today against Reading.

That's 5 in pre-season so far.

Think this may be one that we really regret if we don't sign him.

Would we equally regret it if we sign him and he struggles to make the step up to the championship, whereas Marriott goes to another championship club for £5.5m and scores 20+?

He does seem to have something about him, which might make £1.5m or so a worthwhile gamble. Mariott is a lot more, but Posh have a pretty proven track record of turning out strikers able to hack it at higher level.

You pays your money and makes your choice - or rather SL does! :)

Archived