IGNORED

England - New Zealand

'Orns

Did that not used to be the case in the UK?

Thanks to our parliament, just FIVE events are ring fenced for free to view terrestial channels.

The FA Cup Final and the Grand National are two.

The Olympics are not on Sky as the IOC insist on the Games being available to as many people as possible.

Agreed. I've never understood some of the totally weird calculations it throws up. England have benefited from a few and will do so again, but I think we copped the rough end of that one tonight.

Aye, given there were only 6 overs left and at least half of them would have to have been bowled by spinners, it wouldn't have taken long to play it out. That said, I don't think we'd have won with only 3 wickets left

• Admin

Aye, given there were only 6 overs left and at least half of them would have to have been bowled by spinners, it wouldn't have taken long to play it out. That said, I don't think we'd have won with only 3 wickets left

If the rain hadn't come at all I think we'd have run them close as Rashid & Plunkett had played themselves in & were doing so well. The rain delay will have been huge in taking the momentum away from our batsmen. England may even be able to use this as motivation for the next ODI.

If the rain hadn't come at all I think we'd have run them close as Rashid & Plunkett had played themselves in & were doing so well. The rain delay will have been huge in taking the momentum away from our batsmen. England may even be able to use this as motivation for the next ODI.

Yeah, quite possibly- they were both seeing the ball well and Trent Boult was bowled out. I think the biggest factor was just that the Duckworth-Lewis calculation is incredibly unfair in some circumstances

Anyway, on to today. Plunkett and Jordan out, Wiley and Wood in. Feel sorry for Overton being called up and the not used, especially as Plunkett has contributed with the bat in both games and I wouldn't say that either of the two coming in are particularly good with the willow. Most importantly though, Trent Boult is out for NZ. No idea what this Wheeler is like, but can't see he's going to carry Boult's consistent threat on his debut. England batting first, hopefully we can pile the runs on again

The fact that we weren't at our best and still scored 300 is still a positive. I think in truth that Morgan probably called the toss wrong and should have had a bowl.

Hope Craig Overton gets a shout in the next one.

Should definitely have bowled given conditions, though I understand why Morgan wanted to try and set a total. The ODI average 1st innings score at the Aegeas Bowl (or whatever it's called these days) was 248, so in that respect we did pretty well. On another day Stokes might have been dropped instead of Ross Taylor and NZ would have failed chasing down an extra 30 or 40 runs

Both Overtons in the sqaud now. Hope one of them gets a game - Jamie really has tidied up his wild deliveries this year and still can hit 90mph

It's so enjoyable, even when we lose.

NZ are such great team of sportsman, a lot of respect how they go about everything.. The right way. Unlike the next team to visit.

This is sensational to watch and the change in our ODI approach is nothing short of staggering. Though if I'd paid a few grand to go to the World Cup I'd be pretty pissed off now, because we could have done this a few months earlier and had a serious shot at winning the thing. Maybe we needed the global humiliation to finally bring about serious change, but a few of the people in charge past and present should be hanging their heads now because the right players were there waiting and they just didn't pick them.

I just pray that if we do lose the ashes we don't change rhe approach (even if the test side is a bit different anyway)

The new attacking style in England's ODI is very refreshing to see and great to watch. The games against NZ have been as exciting as the test matches were entertaining.

Although very different types of cricket and largely different players the positives and feel good factor will hopefully carry over from ODIs to the test match team and I'm optimistic we'll see some thrilling cricket during the Ashes series.

I don't think the Aussies will win the series.

I think what this goes to demonstrate is that the malaise that has enveloped English cricket in the last few years had little to do with the ability of the players and everything to do with the attitude of the selectors, coaches and, it has to be said, captain. I've always been a supporter of Cook as I think he's a world class opening batsman, but I do wonder whether the writing is on the wall for him. It's like a switch has been flicked in the minds of the England players and he has to take some criticism for that switch being left 'off' for so long

As for the ashes, we still won't win because our bowling attack isn't good enough. But I'm now confident it won't be a vicious Aussie bumming

Training squad for Ashes named this morning.

No Adil Rashid so it will be Moeen as the spinner. Interestingly, and pleasingly, they have picked Mark Footit who has had a good start to the season off of the back of a strong 2014. Would love to see him in the team as reckon we need a left arm quick. And he is pretty quick.

My worry is that if you pick Anderson, Broad and Footit, that is a very long tail. Something that England have obsessed about for years. Personally I think if your top 7 can't do it then sort them out rather than worry about how good the bowlers can bat.

Team for first test will be this I reckon:

Cook, Lyth, Ballance, Bell, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Ali, Wood, Broad, Anderson.

Others in the squad are Finn, Plunkett and Footit. Would love to see them be brave and pick Footit ahead of Broad.

No Adil Rashid so it will be Moeen as the spinner. Interestingly, and pleasingly, they have picked Mark Footit who has had a good start to the season off of the back of a strong 2014. Would love to see him in the team as reckon we need a left arm quick. And he is pretty quick.

My worry is that if you pick Anderson, Broad and Footit, that is a very long tail. Something that England have obsessed about for years. Personally I think if your top 7 can't do it then sort them out rather than worry about how good the bowlers can bat.

Others in the squad are Finn, Plunkett and Footit. Would love to see them be brave and pick Footit ahead of Broad.

Footit is a great call, certainly doing the business at Derbyshire right now

Agree about the tail too, not their job to score runs. Will be interesting to see the first test team that Bayliss takes charge of - don't think we'll come close to beating the Aussies, but hopefully we'll give them a bloody good fight

The real bowling issue is not the seamers. England simply have no front line traditional or leg spinners. Ali did well against India but has struggled since and if he bowls against the Aussies they'll whack him out of the attack.

That's England's real weakness.

The real bowling issue is not the seamers. England simply have no front line traditional or leg spinners. Ali did well against India but has struggled since and if he bowls against the Aussies they'll whack him out of the attack.

That's England's real weakness.

We have good medium fasts in Anderson and broad and I do like wood but there is no variation after that this is why we wil struggle to take 20 wickets

Look at the last Ashes series and how many times we had them 5 down for 150-200 yet they always doubled the score. Vital that these guys make some runs.

We need to hope Steve Smith has a shit tour, he's in crazy good form. That and Mitchs radar going south again.

Smith is on fire right now. Remember when he first played, and you couldn't see him being any more than a 5 test wonder.....look at him now

As for Mitch, I hope the crowd get stuck into him, wind him up a bit, it may make life difficult for the batsmen from time to time, but if you can get under his skin you've got half a chance of it going Pete Tong for him. But, as the bbc pointed out yesterday, they've got 5 very good, very quick bowlers to choose from. If one goes down someone just as good is ready to come in

Archived