IGNORED

Nigel Pearson

EmersonsRed

Re: Bringing in his own staff: We said we wanted a head coach to work within the DOF structure we have attempted to implement. By all accounts we utterly adandoned that with the appointment of Cotterill (The main reason I was uneasy at the time about the appointment, though had long since accepted that I was wrong to be so). By the sounds of it "Dino" (several of my friends support Middlesbrough and that's what they called him back in the 90s) would require to be the "manager" perhaps in an even more vice like way than Cotterill.

I suppose the real concern won't be the appointment of his staff so much as ripping up our "structure" as well as the inevitable compensatory payments as Burt, Pemberton and potentially Elliott, Coles and even Tinnion may all have to have their contracts paid up.

9 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I tried to bet NP with Paddy at 9/4  ...event already started

Tried MA at 2/1          not taking bets

I DON'T LIKE THE SOUND OF THIS!

Don't worry.

Last time we appointed a manager most fans didn't want we staved of relation that season and gained promotion the very next season, with our best season ever!  :)

Not sure how relevant this is but one of his 'backroom' staff is ex City goalkeeper Mike Stowell.. I've seen him on the bench helping Ranieri. 

He must still have connection down here as I saw him in my local chippy in Warmley a few months ago with his young daugher and their dog.

Not sure he would want to leave joint premiership leaders for us!

4 minutes ago, Warwickshire Red said:

Or here's the link to the section on 5live:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03fmskp

Thanks. Having just watched it I'm not sure anything can by read into it.nit would have been unprofessional of him to comment more than he did. 

Who knows where the next stop of the BCFC roller coaster might be. 

It did very much sound as if he was saying last night that he is happy to take on any challenge, but requires trust and support to build something, which would include areas like recruitment (which he spoke eloquently about), and it does then depend on the board making a conscious and bold choice to commit to that.

I think the backroom staff thing is complex; if it is indeed Shakespeare and Walsh he's talking about, would I be right in saying we'd essentially have to promise Pearson we'd pay anything to bring them in, yet not be able to know what that would cost until he was appointed, and we then attempted that?  I'm not sure if that is how it works (i.e. like players; can't talk unless bids accepted), but that would be the trick, as who is to say if they'll want to come, or how much that will cost.

Ultimately, I hope we are wise enough to see an opportunity such as this for what it is; if Pearson is genuinely interested, and we can actually afford what he needs, then it looks like getting him in might be the smart thing to do.

If you're going to sack the most successful manager in recent times (realise GJ may query that 'fact') then we really need to be appointing someone who can step up from that, and push us further forward still.

9 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

we approached Nigel Pearson and as I said afterwards this afternoon, we aren't particularly keen about bringing in all of his backroom staff he demands

I would be happy if Pearson brought the Leicester scouting team with him as they obviously have an eye for a quality player at a bargain price.

10 minutes ago, ojjy said:

Not sure how relevant this is but one of his 'backroom' staff is ex City goalkeeper Mike Stowell.. I've seen him on the bench helping Ranieri. 

He must still have connection down here as I saw him in my local chippy in Warmley a few months ago with his young daugher and their dog.

Not sure he would want to leave joint premiership leaders for us!

Could this be something to replace the well worn Avon Gorge stories? Every keep a look out at chippies in Warmley for Nigel Pearson with any of his back room staff

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Best post from the Leicester forum...

Hi Brizzle fans.  :wave: 

Don't let ostrichgate and his other controversies fool you into thinking bad of our Nigel.  His approach to the game is all about the bigger picture: Finding players who not only have enough talent to push the club forwards but who also have the right attitude in the dressing room; focusing on sports science to ensure those players are always as close to peak condition as possible; above all have the right structure in place in terms of backroom staff and a chairman who is willingly to let him get on with what's necessary to build and improve.  By all reasonable accounts he's an absolute top bloke behind closed doors too.  

The majority of the media did what they could to demonise him because he's a principled man who won't stand for inane lines of questioning from them which in turn means they'll happily put a negative spin on events like him not willingly taking abuse from absoute cvnts in the stand who don't understand what a good thing they have.  Look around a bit though and you'll see that when an interviewer shows a bit of respect in their approach to him that he'll happily respond in kind with proper answers.  He's unfortunate that the battle against tabloid media is a futile one.

All in all you should be honoured to just be linked with the man, not because I'm a Billy big bollocks but because I've seen how he turned us around from our lowest ever position, completely transforming the mentality at the club in the process.  It's out of praise for him rather than contempt for Bristol when I say that in all seriousness he should be attracting larger clubs.  If he does rock up in Bristol you'll certainly stay up this season and probably be playoff contenders the next, and If Lansdown doesn't shit the bed over failed playoff campaigns between then and 5 years from now you will most certainly be gracing the Prem.  

If you can tempt him.

-------------------------------

Can't get a much better recommendation than that!

Great post. The reason why we should go after him bigtime

35 minutes ago, sarasin said:

I would be happy if Pearson brought the Leicester scouting team with him as they obviously have an eye for a quality player at a bargain price.

I'm sure the Foxes would be keen to retain the services of the man (Walsh) who brought in Vardy and Mehrez for virtually nothing. 

I just can't see this happening sadly 

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Best post from the Leicester forum...

Hi Brizzle fans.  :wave: 

Don't let ostrichgate and his other controversies fool you into thinking bad of our Nigel.  His approach to the game is all about the bigger picture: Finding players who not only have enough talent to push the club forwards but who also have the right attitude in the dressing room; focusing on sports science to ensure those players are always as close to peak condition as possible; above all have the right structure in place in terms of backroom staff and a chairman who is willingly to let him get on with what's necessary to build and improve.  By all reasonable accounts he's an absolute top bloke behind closed doors too.  

The majority of the media did what they could to demonise him because he's a principled man who won't stand for inane lines of questioning from them which in turn means they'll happily put a negative spin on events like him not willingly taking abuse from absoute cvnts in the stand who don't understand what a good thing they have.  Look around a bit though and you'll see that when an interviewer shows a bit of respect in their approach to him that he'll happily respond in kind with proper answers.  He's unfortunate that the battle against tabloid media is a futile one.

All in all you should be honoured to just be linked with the man, not because I'm a Billy big bollocks but because I've seen how he turned us around from our lowest ever position, completely transforming the mentality at the club in the process.  It's out of praise for him rather than contempt for Bristol when I say that in all seriousness he should be attracting larger clubs.  If he does rock up in Bristol you'll certainly stay up this season and probably be playoff contenders the next, and If Lansdown doesn't shit the bed over failed playoff campaigns between then and 5 years from now you will most certainly be gracing the Prem.  

If you can tempt him.

-------------------------------

Can't get a much better recommendation than that!

I thought Nigel Pearson had been banned from posting on the Leicester forum?

I think this is (potentially) a massive turning point in the history of the club and where we go from here. I also think the next managerial appointment will tell us a huge amount about where we go (or don't go) under the stewardship of Steve Lansdown and the rest of the current board.

At this moment in time I'm undecided as to whether sacking SC was the right thing to do in the short term. Thinking more long term, would he have taken us to the Prem (if that really is SL's aim as he suggests?) Probably not.

At the minute we are at risk of turning into a yoyo club bouncing between the Championship and L1. If we really want to establish ourselves in the Championship and kick onto the Prem, we need to stop going for lesser known low league managers who will dance to the SL tune, and go for an established Championship / Prem manager.

If we go for someone like Pearson (who putting cost aside would be a fantastic appointment in my opinion) then I think we can gauge that SL is serious about us getting to the Prem. If we go for someone like Appleton or Tisdale, then all this talk of the Prem is hearsay and we should accept that we are resigned to being a good L1 club or a bottom end Championship club.

All IMO of course.

Pearson did an amazing job turning Leicester round and Ranieri struck lucky being able to continue what he started, not to take too much away from him as let's be fair he is also doing a great job there. 

If he did get appointed it is going to be fascinating to see what players he goes for. Will he build to establish us as a recognised Championship force for a few seasons or immediately want same as Cotts did and strike lucky because he is a bigger name currently? 

I feel Cotts got caught up in the success of last year and was pushing slightly too quickly for the Prem, although I do think had the summer signings come off it would have been really interesting to see where we would have been. Who knows we may have been using this January as our push into the playoffs or more. 

I do think whoever takes over is at least taking on a committed team and a strong proven appointment like this would help to keep the nucleus of that commitment there. A lesser known cheap alternative I think could spell disaster as at the end of the day these players are like us and also need collective belief, they don't just blindly play.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Hi kibs 

dont really want to re read pages and pages... What is this interview you make reference to?

cheers. 

Not sure if you've seen it yet Fordy but its also the look on Chapmans face as he's asking the question, major giveaway!!

14 minutes ago, Rule The Waves said:

I think this is (potentially) a massive turning point in the history of the club and where we go from here. I also think the next managerial appointment will tell us a huge amount about where we go (or don't go) under the stewardship of Steve Lansdown and the rest of the current board.

At this moment in time I'm undecided as to whether sacking SC was the right thing to do in the short term. Thinking more long term, would he have taken us to the Prem (if that really is SL's aim as he suggests?) Probably not.

At the minute we are at risk of turning into a yoyo club bouncing between the Championship and L1. If we really want to establish ourselves in the Championship and kick onto the Prem, we need to stop going for lesser known low league managers who will dance to the SL tune, and go for an established Championship / Prem manager.

If we go for someone like Pearson (who putting cost aside would be a fantastic appointment in my opinion) then I think we can gauge that SL is serious about us getting to the Prem. If we go for someone like Appleton or Tisdale, then all this talk of the Prem is hearsay and we should accept that we are resigned to being a good L1 club or a bottom end Championship club.

All IMO of course.

I agree completely, this appointment is going to prove one of two things to me either 

a) ambition, despite last years success under SC (who I was not pleased was removed) the board are willing to be ruthless and accept the cost to keep us in this league by appointing someone like Pearson.

b) SL is only a money man and the board don't have a clue. If someone like Appleton or Tisdale is appointed then we know the only important thing here is money. They have less experience of league 1 than SC did let alone the championship, why appoint either at this point! Not to mention the fact that the timing of the sacking and the time to appoint completely ruins this transfer window (a suspicious person might think there was a plan there by the money saving board).

i hope to god it's the ambition one, id be very pleased with Pearson, but I fear we are about to appoint a manager with league 1 promotion in mind! Please BCFC prove me wrong

14 hours ago, Just Red said:

Exactly the person we need. Someone who can get the whole club focused on achieving success from the club shop staff to the first team squad. He would be able to change the whole mentality of the club and I'm sure he would have the majority of the support because of his past achievements.

Exactly the Pearson  we need !

Comment from the Leicester forum

I can't believe some of their fans' views on him. 
Just goes to show how much influence the media have on other clubs fans. Suppose they can't really be blamed. 

I looked to try and join their forum to set the record straight but couldn't see how to join lol

They seem to think our players hate him or were scared of him. Nothing could've been further from the truth once he'd weeded out the egos Sven had signed. 

How well NP would fare without Walsh and Shakey though remains to be seen as WE all know it's Walsh's scouting abilities that unearthed Vardy Mahrez etc rather than Sir Nige.   

10 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

Without reading through seven pages of stuff I'd like to further reiterate what I was told last night and has confirmed to me today, we approached Nigel Pearson and as I said afterwards this afternoon, we aren't particularly keen about bringing in all of his backroom staff he demands (I presume that's what he meant by the hierarchy of a club trusting him fully on the radio tonight).

I'm led to believe the club will talk to Pearson over the weekend and hopefully come to an agreement by Tuesday.

As I also stated before, the bloke who's telling me this has no interest in Bristol City, no reason to wind me up, works within football. I have my trust in him.

(Thanks for nobody abusing me by the way)!!!

(Thanks for nobody abusing me by the way)!!! " 

sorry but you can't have everything .

Archived