IGNORED

Nigel Pearson

EmersonsRed

1 hour ago, Frenchay Red said:

I am assuming that like Pearson they are out of work. Otherwise how could they be his LCFC assistants. They would be Ranieri's assistants?

All the back room staff and coaches at Leicester are Pearsons, some like Stowell have been there since his first stint in charge. I believe it's Walsh who went to Hull with him...and came back. (Very Only Fools and Horses)

5 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Someone who has taken Leicester to the prem, kept them up and now is getting a lot of the credit for where they are now.  Tarnished goods is he ? 

You are a joking right ? 

That for me is the real issue. Why, on earth, would he come here? Not a pop at us, but another Premier side, or at least a Championship side with pararchute payments far more likely I would have thought?

2 minutes ago, cityexile said:

That for me is the real issue. Why, on earth, would he come here? Not a pop at us, but another Premier side, or at least a Championship side with pararchute payments far more likely I would have thought?

What he kind of related to earlier on the programme , and iv'e heard managers mention this before. Managers tend to go to clubs because of the chairman/owner rather than the club itself. From the outside , we have a 27,000 ground, massive catchment area and a owner who tends to give managers time (relatively speaking) and historically has backed managers financially. 

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

What he kind of related to earlier on the programme , and iv'e heard managers mention this before. Managers tend to go to clubs because of the chairman/owner rather than the club itself. From the outside , we have a 27,000 ground, massive catchment area and a owner who tends to give managers time (relatively speaking) and historically has backed managers financially. 

He said when asked what he was looking for in a new job that he needed a club that was completely committed to him, as he would be completely committed to it.

Read into that what you will.

4 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

If he is to consider us I'd imagine that would be one of the very key things. I reckon he could only possibly join if SL and the club were really going to go for it next season in conjunction with the finished stadium, he'd want the finances to compete for promotion and build a side capable to do it.  The big question is, will the board be willing to do that?

3 minutes ago, RedBrizzleRobin said:

If he is to consider us I'd imagine that would be one of the very key things. I reckon he could only possibly join if SL and the club were really going to go for it next season in conjunction with the finished stadium, he'd want the finances to compete for promotion and build a side capable to do it.  The big question is, will the board be willing to do that?

Bear in mind the corporate stuff will come into play next season so our FFP figure SHOULD be much higher. It's all about survival this time. That said, I have no doubt the purse strings will have to be relaxed to get Pearson.

1 minute ago, cynic said:

Publicly berate his son ?

I don't think so, you protect your family not slag 'em off.

Privately he probably went wild, but you don't dump on family publicly.

Do you ?

I'd imagine be he was furious in private, but as cynic says; he has no obligation to speak publicly, and his son was sacked, so that was the really underlined things.

I doubt he was impressed; he dropped Wayne Brown while in his first stint for sounding off in front of the team on his views on immigration.

3 minutes ago, RedBrizzleRobin said:

Why I find modern football a bit depressing really. Think we can do a lot better than we are, but how the heck does a Board back their manager against sides that as a starting point will be getting 70m? just for getting relegated? 

5 minutes ago, RedBrizzleRobin said:

Lansdowne must know the Championship is a completely different league compared to the last time we were here. If we want to compete we have to spend a few quid. There will be even more money washing around next year.

5 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Why I find modern football a bit depressing really. Think we can do a lot better than we are, but how the heck does a Board back their manager against sides that as a starting point will be getting 70m? just for getting relegated? 

I agree and don;t agree with parachute payments but it is what it is and we have to sink or swim. It's virtually a prem 2 now. Top half is anyway.

14 minutes ago, cynic said:

Publicly berate his son ?

I don't think so, you protect your family not slag 'em off.

Privately he probably went wild, but you don't dump on family publicly.

Do you ?

You don't, no, but I think it is a question mark. That incident was deplorable and included 3 members of the squad, not just his boy. 

Earlier I considered it a big question mark, not least considering what the club was like during the Wilson era and the draws this city can have. 

However, the players we have seem a whole lot more professional and I've tempered my opinion if honest because I think they are a determined bunch and not a bunch to believe in their own hype. So a question mark reasonably, and I think it reasonable to level the question at him, but I don't think it should preclude a deal. I just hope his recruitment would not include players who could become 'bad eggs' which could taint the good that we have. 

I would like him and I think his abilities are beyond questioning really. But, it is a gamble on him being able to keep this squad up simply. If he doesn't that's a big wedge for a league one manager and, ultimately, silly really in my opinion. With the days left of the window I don't think he has long enough to improve us significantly personnel wise and @Davefevs will know better than I do the loan rules so I don't know how much business can be done in Feb and beyond. 

Given all of that, and our real threat of relegation actually I think the stakes are possibly too high to gamble on him, particularly if he wants a back room reshuffle. We're not cut adrift and we would still have a reasonable chance of survival with an interim, in my opinion.

To put it another way, with months left I'm not sure he could achieve more than, say Warnock. If the worst were to happen I don't think he's worth the outlay for us in League One and I'm not sure he would know that league well enough too. For those reasons I'd probably pass on him, which even I would agree sounds bloody stupid given his skills and our position and standing. However if we got to the summer still here and with an interim gone I'd be delighted to get him. 

Maybe im too risk averse :s 

4 minutes ago, 29AR said:

You don't, no, but I think it is a question mark. That incident was deplorable and included 3 members of the squad, not just his boy. 

Earlier I considered it a big question mark, not least considering what the club was like during the Wilson era and the draws this city can have. 

However, the players we have seem a whole lot more professional and I've tempered my opinion if honest because I think they are a determined bunch and not a bunch to believe in their own hype. So a question mark reasonably, and I think it reasonable to level the question at him, but I don't think it should preclude a deal. I just hope his recruitment would not include players who could become 'bad eggs' which could taint the good that we have. 

I would like him and I think his abilities are beyond questioning really. But, it is a gamble on him being able to keep this squad up simply. If he doesn't that's a big wedge for a league one manager and, ultimately, silly really in my opinion. With the days left of the window I don't think he has long enough to improve us significantly personnel wise and @Davefevs will know better than I do the loan rules so I don't know how much business can be done in Feb and beyond. 

Given all of that, and our real threat of relegation actually I think the stakes are possibly too high to gamble on him, particularly if he wants a back room reshuffle. We're not cut adrift and we would still have a reasonable chance of survival with an interim, in my opinion.

To put it another way, with months left I'm not sure he could achieve more than, say Warnock. If the worst were to happen I don't think he's worth the outlay for us in League One and I'm not sure he would know that league well enough too. For those reasons I'd probably pass on him, which even I would agree sounds bloody stupid given his skills and our position and standing. However if we got to the summer still here and with an interim gone I'd be delighted to get him. 

Maybe im too risk averse :s 

Got to take the chance and try and get him now. Can't see a manager of his caliber still being available end of the season. Be proactive rather than reactive imo 

7 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Got to take the chance and try and get him now. Can't see a manager of his caliber still being available end of the season. Be proactive rather than reactive imo 

I don't disagree necessarily, and 2 months ago this could have been a great move. I mean no disrespect to any individual players though, but more in respect of an 18 man (I could have my numbers wrong) at this level; you can't polish a turd and I think SC was at least trying to make that point to the board. 

Just to be clear I think we have a good quality core of players that ought compete at this level. I mean no slur on them. However the squad is so threadbare with little room to maneouver that I think it is a mammoth job. That's the 'turd' really. 

I think with the real risk of failure to turn us around - that risk much lower had this happened weeks back - puts the stakes too high and not worth it versus some other options who I think could do just as well between now and us knowing where we are next season given how little movement can be done. 

5 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I don't disagree necessarily, and 2 months ago this could have been a great move. I mean no disrespect to any individual players though, but more in respect of an 18 man (I could have my numbers wrong) at this level; you can't polish a turd and I think SC was at least trying to make that point to the board. 

Just to be clear I think we have a good quality core of players that ought compete at this level. I mean no slur on them. However the squad is so threadbare with little room to maneouver that I think it is a mammoth job. That's the 'turd' really. 

I think with the real risk of failure to turn us around - that risk much lower had this happened weeks back - puts the stakes too high and not worth it versus some other options who I think could do just as well between now and us knowing where we are next season given how little movement can be done. 

I get your point ,i just think someone of his standing will find it much easier to bring in 4-5 players. If he could bring a new spine to the team (position wise ) i think we would gradually get out of trouble. 

9 minutes ago, 29AR said:

There is a simple answer as with Moyes, give him the option of till the end of the season (if he prefers) big bonus if he keeps us up and discuss the full time job in the summer wherever we are, everyone's a winner, well hopefully anyway.

Archived