IGNORED

Nigel Pearson

EmersonsRed

9 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

Without reading through seven pages of stuff I'd like to further reiterate what I was told last night and has confirmed to me today, we approached Nigel Pearson and as I said afterwards this afternoon, we aren't particularly keen about bringing in all of his backroom staff he demands (I presume that's what he meant by the hierarchy of a club trusting him fully on the radio tonight).

That'd be right. "We're not particularly keen about bringing in all of his backroom staff," that is: staff who along with Pearson put together first a team to climb out of the Championship, then stay in the Prem and now sit on top of the Prem as we speak. A team on course to play in the Champions League. In other words, people that can recruit great players, including lower league bargains, and run a f#$&ing football club properly. In the PL.

Why the f#$& would "we" be "particularly keen" about any of that?!

We're doing quite well with the people we've got here, are we not?

I know it would cost a bomb, but the alternative is just more mediocrity.

19 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

That'd be right. "We're not particularly keen about bringing in all of his backroom staff," that is: staff who along with Pearson put together first a team to climb out of the Championship, then stay in the Prem and now sit on top of the Prem as we speak. A team on course to play in the Champions League. In other words, people that can recruit great players, including lower league bargains, and run a f#$&ing football club properly. In the PL.

Why the f#$& would "we" be "particularly keen" about any of that?!

We're doing quite well with the people we've got here, are we not?

I know it would cost a bomb, but the alternative is just more mediocrity.

Agree with all of this.

Lansdown needs to dig deep this time. No sentiment to backroom staff and no cheap options. Enough jam tomorrow. If he wants us to be a force in this league and get 20k crowds he has to front up now and get a proven championship mgr in and let him define his own backroom setup.

Anyone who knows theyve gowhat it takes wont compromise their principles.

29 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Love the fact that Gary Johnson is the same price as Clarence Seedorf.  

Have to say though that Jon Pemberton at 33/1 is a good price.  I'm not convinced the board have anyone lined up and if we have an upturn whilst not getting our preferred target (not impossible) he might well get the job.    Looking at it logically, how on earth is Garry Monk shorter than Chris Powell, Steve Clarke and Uwe Rosler?  

Trying to be as dispassionate as possible, it seems to me that the best bets in there are Pearson, but failing that one of Steve Clarke, Chris Powell and Uwe Rosler.  All those 3 have championship experience and are fairly unblemished having been sacked prematurely from their last jobs.

Quoting myself...

I am astounded that John Hartson is mentioned. What about Jermaine Jenas, Danny Mills ,Kevin Kilbane and other lower level BBC pundits?

Might as well include that bloke from Channel 5 who looks like David Walliams and used to play for the gas,

Steve Claridge?  Pat Nevin? Henry Winter? 

Richard Latham?

Stocky? 

Red Trousers.

8 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Agree with all of this.

Lansdown needs to dig deep this time. No sentiment to backroom staff and no cheap options. Enough jam tomorrow. If he wants us to be a force in this league and get 20k crowds he has to front up now and get a proven championship mgr in and let him define his own backroom setup.

Anyone who knows theyve gowhat it takes wont compromise their principles.

Yes, he comes across as an impressive bloke.

This feels like a fork in the road moment, if Pearson is a possibility. One way Nigel Pearson, and maybe the chance to break out of mediocrity; the other way, Appleton or similar, and the likelihood of more of the same.

Pearson is a clear step-up from Cotts, he could take us up a level

6 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Yes, he comes across as an impressive bloke.

This feels like a fork in the road moment, if Pearson is a possibility. One way Nigel Pearson, and maybe the chance to break out of mediocrity; the other way, Appleton or similar, and the likelihood of more of the same.

Pearson is a clear step-up from Cotts, he could take us up a level

Think you're right, 2 ways to play this.

Not convinced by NP (we can use his initial, right?) as a person.  Think he's had some serious media training, which doesn't mean that he comes across 100% natural.  But I cannot knock his credentials, and I can overlook a small chink in his persona.  He has exactly the attributes we need.  Will he come....no idea.  If he does, we have a much better chance of staying in this division that if we take the Appleton-type route.

SL/KD- it's over to you.

McInnes appointed - Fans delighted
O Driscoll appointed - Fans delighted
Cotterill appointed - Fans outraged.

Whoever we appoint, let's just get behind them. I think the above three pre-judgements made shows that people on this forum are very poor judges of who will be a successful manager. So maybe its best to refrain from posts such as "If ____ is appointed, I'm done with this club" or whatever.

All that said, I am hoping for Pearson. :)

12 minutes ago, Kim_il_sung said:

McInnes appointed - Fans delighted
O Driscoll appointed - Fans delighted
Cotterill appointed - Fans outraged.

Whoever we appoint, let's just get behind them. I think the above three pre-judgements made shows that people on this forum are very poor judges of who will be a successful manager. So maybe its best to refrain from posts such as "If ____ is appointed, I'm done with this club" or whatever.

All that said, I am hoping for Pearson. :)

I was going to jump off the bridge when O'driscoll was appointed  , delighted , you're have a ******* laugh !!!

5 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

Without reading through seven pages of stuff I'd like to further reiterate what I was told last night and has confirmed to me today, we approached Nigel Pearson and as I said afterwards this afternoon, we aren't particularly keen about bringing in all of his backroom staff he demands (I presume that's what he meant by the hierarchy of a club trusting him fully on the radio tonight).

I'm led to believe the club will talk to Pearson over the weekend and hopefully come to an agreement by Tuesday.

As I also stated before, the bloke who's telling me this has no interest in Bristol City, no reason to wind me up, works within football. I have my trust in him.

(Thanks for nobody abusing me by the way)!!!

I think there is some substance in what your saying. What annoys me is, and I have been saying this for years....We need a complete over haul behind the scenes and a different way of thinking, if we are ever going to succeed at this level.

If he wants his own backroom staff. Give him his back room staff. New and fresh ideas is what this club needs as we fail every time at this level with the foundations we currently have.

A manager cannot transform a club by himself. It's a team job.

Lansdown.....listening to that interview last night, Pearson is the best man for the job! Please....Give him what he wants and get him in.

A new back room team could prove just as, if not more valuable, then a couple of new signings

8 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Go and get pissed or laid or both , miserable bleeder. :disapointed2se:

Why the personal abuse? This is a forum for discussions after all. 

Seeing as I couldn't get a reasoned response I researched Pearsons exit from Leicester myself. Seems the only source suggesting he was in the wrong is the Daily Mirror so not exactly credible. The real reason for his dismissal seems very open to interpretation and only a few people know for sure. I imagine any prospective employer would seek clarity on this. 

If innocent he is the standout candidate.

Best post from the Leicester forum...

Hi Brizzle fans.  :wave: 

Don't let ostrichgate and his other controversies fool you into thinking bad of our Nigel.  His approach to the game is all about the bigger picture: Finding players who not only have enough talent to push the club forwards but who also have the right attitude in the dressing room; focusing on sports science to ensure those players are always as close to peak condition as possible; above all have the right structure in place in terms of backroom staff and a chairman who is willingly to let him get on with what's necessary to build and improve.  By all reasonable accounts he's an absolute top bloke behind closed doors too.  

The majority of the media did what they could to demonise him because he's a principled man who won't stand for inane lines of questioning from them which in turn means they'll happily put a negative spin on events like him not willingly taking abuse from absoute cvnts in the stand who don't understand what a good thing they have.  Look around a bit though and you'll see that when an interviewer shows a bit of respect in their approach to him that he'll happily respond in kind with proper answers.  He's unfortunate that the battle against tabloid media is a futile one.

All in all you should be honoured to just be linked with the man, not because I'm a Billy big bollocks but because I've seen how he turned us around from our lowest ever position, completely transforming the mentality at the club in the process.  It's out of praise for him rather than contempt for Bristol when I say that in all seriousness he should be attracting larger clubs.  If he does rock up in Bristol you'll certainly stay up this season and probably be playoff contenders the next, and If Lansdown doesn't shit the bed over failed playoff campaigns between then and 5 years from now you will most certainly be gracing the Prem.  

If you can tempt him.

-------------------------------

Can't get a much better recommendation than that!

13 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Don't let ostrichgate and his other controversies fool you into thinking bad of our Nigel.  His approach to the game is all about the bigger picture: Finding players who not only have enough talent to push the club forwards but who also have the right attitude in the dressing room; focusing on sports science to ensure those players are always as close to peak condition as possible; above all have the right structure in place in terms of backroom staff and a chairman who is willingly to let him get on with what's necessary to build and improve.  By all reasonable accounts he's an absolute top bloke behind closed doors too.  

The majority of the media did what they could to demonise him because he's a principled man who won't stand for inane lines of questioning from them which in turn means they'll happily put a negative spin on events like him not willingly taking abuse from absoute cvnts in the stand who don't understand what a good thing they have.  Look around a bit though and you'll see that when an interviewer shows a bit of respect in their approach to him that he'll happily respond in kind with proper answers.  He's unfortunate that the battle against tabloid media is a futile one.

All in all you should be honoured to just be linked with the man, not because I'm a Billy big bollocks but because I've seen how he turned us around from our lowest ever position, completely transforming the mentality at the club in the process.  It's out of praise for him rather than contempt for Bristol when I say that in all seriousness he should be attracting larger clubs.  If he does rock up in Bristol you'll certainly stay up this season and probably be playoff contenders the next, and If Lansdown doesn't shit the bed over failed playoff campaigns between then and 5 years from now you will most certainly be gracing the Prem.  

If you can tempt him.

Rightly or Wrongly, I have said to my network of fans that I was not sure about having NP at our club but having read the above comments, maybe I am focussing too much on his media style and not his record as a manager. An overall 43% win ratio is good in today's terms.

As you have mentioned, he could be the answer to our serious problems, although Moyes would be my first choice (however unrealistic that is!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigel_Pearson 

21 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

If you can tempt him.

video-undefined-18F8A6D400000578-351_636

Seems he is our number 1 target. 

Didn't rule it out in the interview, is ready to come back - I guess we're about to find out just how much ambition SL really has. 

Was very impressed with what Pearson had to say. 

Were in a results business; which is ultimately why SC got the Spanish archer on the phone. It does seem that NP has all of the attributes and attitude we require right now. I say push the boat out for him and his team - "build it and they will come" might work with the stadium and paying customers; im sure it will definitely apply too with having a proper manager in place like NP to attract the right kind of players to BS3. 

All this talk of Appleton bringing some of his best young players with him is bollocks, let's just sign them anyway if they're good or promising enough! 

2 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Didn't rule it out in the interview, is ready to come back - I guess we're about to find out just how much ambition SL really has. 

Yes but what Pearson has said doesn't fit with what our own club have just stated they are looking for.

They are looking for a head coach, he said he is looking for a club he can fit into and an owner who backs his judgement. The two of these things just aren't compatible, he wants control we want someone to fit in to the current system.

Morning all, unfortunately this will be my last post until Sunday afternoon as I'm off to London this morning. I received a text about an hour ago which simply said "Pearson wants to be a manager, Bristol City want to employ a head coach. Common nowadays, JFH is becoming increasingly frustrated at QPR about having little control. City will have to give in or lose their man"... Then went on to talk about his wedding, but I'll leave that bit out.

We need to let him bring in who he wants and have full control. Give the bloke trust. He's not exactly got a bad record. 

Hope we get him, or at the very least I hope my source is right and we are talking to him. Coyr

11 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Hi kibs 

dont really want to re read pages and pages... What is this interview you make reference to?

cheers. 

For me, a top manager is essential if you want this football club to be a success.  You simply cannot scrimp on this. It's a bit like a Grandmother driving for Mercedes. You can have all the top infrastructure you like, but if the person "driving" everything forward isn't experienced or right, then all that infrastructure and money is irrelevant. 

So, if Appleton was appointed, I would seriously give up on this club. 

Archived