IGNORED

Nigel Pearson

EmersonsRed

Well he did say that his next job would need to be the right fit, and that he needs to feel that the owner is right behind him doing the job.

Can't see it happening here then, we have a structure in place and the next man needs to fit into the structure, the complete opposite at how he sees his next job. He didn't sound like he was desperate to take the first thing that came along, so unless we can clear the decks and give in to what he wants fully, we are looking at another person in charge.

33 minutes ago, cynic said:

Publicly berate his son ?

I don't think so, you protect your family not slag 'em off.

Privately he probably went wild, but you don't dump on family publicly.

Do you ?

I don't think anyone asked him to berate his son. By not admitting his son and other members of staff were in the wrong, he risked the race issue. Why not say some of his staff were in the wrong and the matter has been dealt with internally. 

Maybe such an eloquent person could word it better than that. 

Saying nothing leaves a big question mark.

6 minutes ago, screech said:

Well he did say that his next job would need to be the right fit, and that he needs to feel that the owner is right behind him doing the job.

Can't see it happening here then, we have a structure in place and the next man needs to fit into the structure, the complete opposite at how he sees his next job. He didn't sound like he was desperate to take the first thing that came along, so unless we can clear the decks and give in to what he wants fully, we are looking at another person in charge.

Totally agree. The only person lansdown and co will be looking for is a cheap and easy yes man, Pearson certainly isn't that. 

10 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

would be my first choice but can we afford  his wage demands ? was said to be earning 800k a year when leaving leicester. cotts would have been on a third of that figure. 

A little bird told me that Pearson turned down Fulham and Reading because they wouldn't agree to his salary demand for £1.25 million per annum.

9 minutes ago, I'm Brian said:

I don't think anyone asked him to berate his son. By not admitting his son and other members of staff were in the wrong, he risked the race issue. Why not say some of his staff were in the wrong and the matter has been dealt with internally. 

Maybe such an eloquent person could word it better than that. 

Saying nothing leaves a big question mark.

Give it a rest mate 

29 minutes ago, 29AR said:

You don't, no, but I think it is a question mark. That incident was deplorable and included 3 members of the squad, not just his boy. 

Earlier I considered it a big question mark, not least considering what the club was like during the Wilson era and the draws this city can have. 

However, the players we have seem a whole lot more professional and I've tempered my opinion if honest because I think they are a determined bunch and not a bunch to believe in their own hype. So a question mark reasonably, and I think it reasonable to level the question at him, but I don't think it should preclude a deal. I just hope his recruitment would not include players who could become 'bad eggs' which could taint the good that we have. 

I would like him and I think his abilities are beyond questioning really. But, it is a gamble on him being able to keep this squad up simply. If he doesn't that's a big wedge for a league one manager and, ultimately, silly really in my opinion. With the days left of the window I don't think he has long enough to improve us significantly personnel wise and @Davefevs will know better than I do the loan rules so I don't know how much business can be done in Feb and beyond. 

Given all of that, and our real threat of relegation actually I think the stakes are possibly too high to gamble on him, particularly if he wants a back room reshuffle. We're not cut adrift and we would still have a reasonable chance of survival with an interim, in my opinion.

To put it another way, with months left I'm not sure he could achieve more than, say Warnock. If the worst were to happen I don't think he's worth the outlay for us in League One and I'm not sure he would know that league well enough too. For those reasons I'd probably pass on him, which even I would agree sounds bloody stupid given his skills and our position and standing. However if we got to the summer still here and with an interim gone I'd be delighted to get him. 

Maybe im too risk averse :s 

I'm no expert on the loan rules, but I've read lots of confusing stuff.  I believe we have used our maximum of 4 standard loans;

Hamer - full season, cut short

Moore - half season, ended Jan 3rd

Baker - full season, still here

O'Donnell - half season, til end of season

We have also used a Youth Loan;

Robinson - full season, cut short on Jan 3rd

We subsequently had two Emergency Loans;

Cox - to Jan 3rd

Bennett - to Jan 3rd

Bearing in mind Baker is the only one of our standard loans still here, and our max of 4 used, Baker would have to sign permanently (little to no chance) to allow another standard half season loan to come in.

We can however take several more Emergency Loans (might be a max of 12 per season) which can last 28-93 days.  Don't forget you can only name a max of 5 in your match day squad of 18 (max - don't have the name 7 subs!).  So if you think we might bring in 7 loans, assuming O'Donnell and Baker start, only 3 of them can be in the 18.  If Frank resumes fitness, then you might see O'Donnell not named so that an extra loan player could be selected.

Any emergency loan (assuming max 93 days) taken before 4th or 5th Feb will mean a player won't be able to see the season through with us.  Let's call that the Matt Smith calculation!  

So I think that's it....and I bet I've got something wrong.  So what dies this mean?

Whoever comes in ought to try to get a couple or three really quick permanent transfers in, because the scope for loans is quite limited.

....and I've just thought of something else.  Players out of contract can of course join without any of the above restrictions.  So when Bolton go bust, and their records expunged (love that phrase), Zac Clough, Dean Moxey, Darren Pratley, Jay Spearing and Ben Amos will be out of contract and will be desperate to join us.

Re Nigel Pearson, no doubting his credentials, just would be surprised we are a club he needs.  He's probably been announced in the time it took me to type all of this!

6 minutes ago, Cider red said:

Having seen it, think we're being over hopeful. Mark what's his face says there are a lot of Bristol city fans, and before he can finish pearson says well bristol is a big place. Doesn't seem anymore in it to me.

It goes on a bit after that , he looks at Mark what's his face with a big grin on his face .

From that my conspiracy theory is that he has been approached and is considering things. Mentions being a good fit and touches on commitment to each other basically. So maybe has asked for certain things and is awaiting a response? Chappers certainly had a big grin on his face when he mentioned Bristol. Or am I over analysing things!?

28 minutes ago, howey_ducky said:

The 5live interview with him tonight made me think that it looks very likely he'll be our next manager.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03fmskp?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_5_live_sports_extra&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=radio_and_music

I listened to the 5live Interview and given his response to the chat with the presenter I also thought he could be our next manager.

The smile on Chappers' face was the grin of a bloke that knew something but couldn't say what it is.  It's the same grin I give to my missus when her brother in law goes on about his new fish tank.  (We know he's a bore but you can't tell him to his face as it isn't a nice thing to do.)

SL isn't stupid we all know that, makes clear sense to at least approach Pearson....imagine the negativity amongst fans if we employed Appleton.

one thing worth noting, Pearson highlighted the need of a good fit and good owners.....And one draw of Lansdown is he is 

1) well respected

2) he isn't a dodgy foreigner (aka what they've got at Leicester)

that must be attractive, no rash decisions and dodgy dealings, which is what he has had to deal with at both Leicester and hull.

cotterill said as much when he joined. Up to Lansdown now to make some sacrifices, look at the bigger picture and make the feel happen.

Interesting thread about this thread and him coming here on the Leicester forum:

http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/104044-has-pearson-gone-west/

Seems to be held in quite high esteem there despite the impression you might be given by the media (and THAT YouTube clip). Many feel we would be very lucky to get him. 

Be warned, you'll need to bite your tongue on a few of the posts about us. They seem to have got a bit Billybigbollux over there (understandably), or just ignorant. 

Archived