IGNORED

Lee Tomlin (Merged)

Ian M

Found this from January;

He clearly likes to share his thoughts!

WHEN Cherries played Sunderland at home on September 19, this newspaper reported, 48 hours later, how Eddie Howe could have found a 'missing link' in Lee Tomlin.

Tomlin was outstanding in that first Premier League win at home, a 2-0 victory featuring a wonder strike from Matt Ritchie.

Despite Ritchie's golden moment, it was Tomlin who caught the eye playing in behind Callum Wilson.

"His character is one that demands good, sound people around him," this correspondent wrote. "In Eddie Howe, Tomlin has the perfect guide."

Fast forward to January 22, the Friday night before a crucial game in the North East, and Tomlin's vexation at a lack of opportunities since those early days of the season seemingly boils over on Twitter.

Comments attributed to Tomlin, but yet to be verified as his, in a private Twitter conversation that was subsequently leaked can only be assessed as a betrayal, if they are genuine, of the manager who gave him a chance to sit at English football's top table. His treachery, if he did make those comments, of a dressing room full of players who would run through brick walls for Howe is another matter altogether and there can surely be no way back at Dean Court for Tomlin now.

Some players need drive, encouragement but also a firm kick up the rear end from a manager to fulfil their potential. Others need an arm around them. Some are beyond all of those things.

Tomlin looks likely to end up in the 'what might have been' file. A genuine talent, but one with a make-up far too complex for his own good. Too heterogeneous for even Howe to fix.

Tomlin's frustration was understandable. He believes he should have been in the team. He wanted to be in the team.

But frustration does different things to different people, of course. The frustration felt by Dan Gosling and Junior Stanislas last season, when neither could establish any kind of run in the side during Cherries' greatest season, simply inspired them to work harder, keep quiet and be ready should a chance come. How bright are their lights shining now?

Tomlin, meanwhile, looked to be facing some very dark days indeed prior to completing a loan move to Bristol City earlier this week. You can't help but think this is his last chance.

4 minutes ago, Redandy said:

As I am sure has been said I hope LJ is not putting all his efforts  in to signing Tomlin. By the lack of further signings as we move in to July it is a concern.

We might find there will be 3 or 4 signings already done waiting for Friday 1st July (Start date of players contracts) before annoucing them  :fingerscrossed:

Am I the only one who finds Tomlin's tweets just that little bit irritating? Clearly maintaining a dignified silence isn't something that comes easy to him.

Put yourself in Lee Johnson's shoes. Or Mark Ashton. How impressed are you that we're all getting a running commentary from the player himself? Not very. However much we like our players interacting with us. Sometimes it's best not to say anything.

I want the guy here as much as the next person but this is getting beyond ridiculous. He is one player. Yes, he was great to watch, but time we stopped treating this guy like some demigod. Mark Ashton has spoken about not putting all our eggs into one basket and finding players with the right DNA. In other words, players who won't rock the boat and are fully committed to the team.  Two things: whilst we've all been obsessing about this one transfer the club have obviously been in talks about several others. They're not stupid. They will have known from the start getting Tomlin was going to be hard. Secondly, how do you think our current squad have viewed all this? Most are on Twitter.

Something else to think about. Say he signed, we have a better season, but finish no higher than 12th, how do you think Tomlin will behave? Let's say a top 6 side (or relegated Prem club) come in for in. Would he leave? How about his second season with us? We finish outside the play-offs. Tomlin has two good seasons but there's no sign of Premiership football. Do you think he'd stick around? I don't. Despite what his beloved clothing range says, the Loyal Love Tomlin feels is probably for himself.

I've said on here more than once that I have strong doubts Tomlin will be signing. Now I'm convinced he won't be.

There was an interesting and revealing piece by the Bournemouth Echo back in January all about him being too complicated even for Howe to fix. The writer wrote: "His character is one that demands good, sound people around him."  And (in reference to what Tomlin was alleged to have said about the club): "His treachery, if he did make those comments, of a dressing room full of players who would run through brick walls for Howe is another matter altogether and there can surely be no way back at Dean Court for Tomlin now."

He also annoyed Karanka at Boro when he criticised their preparations for their play-off final in 2015.

Remember him praising Rooney's goal against Bournemouth? Still his club. Sorry, you just don't do that.

Tomlin is a maverick. He's a polarising player. He's a joy to watch. But, I don't want someone here who's going to be a destabilising influence, who will divide the dressing room, who thinks he's top dog. We are slowly but surely building up a young and exciting squad.

Yes, I'll still be thrilled, over the moon, if we get him, but he's not without his problems. Reminds me a lot of Kevin Pietersen to be honest. The difference was that Pietersen was world class and won things for England.

15 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

Am I the only one who finds Tomlin's tweets just that little bit irritating? Clearly maintaining a dignified silence isn't something that comes easy to him.

Put yourself in Lee Johnson's shoes. Or Mark Ashton. How impressed are you that we're all getting a running commentary from the player himself? Not very. However much we like our players interacting with us. Sometimes it's best not to say anything.

I want the guy here as much as the next person but this is getting beyond ridiculous. He is one player. Yes, he was great to watch, but time we stopped treating this guy like some demigod. Mark Ashton has spoken about not putting all our eggs into one basket and finding players with the right DNA. In other words, players who won't rock the boat and are fully committed to the team.  Two things: whilst we've all been obsessing about this one transfer the club have obviously been in talks about several others. They're not stupid. They will have known from the start getting Tomlin was going to be hard. Secondly, how do you think our current squad have viewed all this? Most are on Twitter.

Something else to think about. Say he signed, we have a better season, but finish no higher than 12th, how do you think Tomlin will behave? Let's say a top 6 side (or relegated Prem club) come in for in. Would he leave? How about his second season with us? We finish outside the play-offs. Tomlin has two good seasons but there's no sign of Premiership football. Do you think he'd stick around? I don't. Despite what his beloved clothing range says, the Loyal Love Tomlin feels is probably for himself.

I've said on here more than once that I have strong doubts Tomlin will be signing. Now I'm convinced he won't be.

There was an interesting and revealing piece by the Bournemouth Echo back in January all about him being too complicated even for Howe to fix. The writer wrote: "His character is one that demands good, sound people around him."  And (in reference to what Tomlin was alleged to have said about the club): "His treachery, if he did make those comments, of a dressing room full of players who would run through brick walls for Howe is another matter altogether and there can surely be no way back at Dean Court for Tomlin now."

He also annoyed Karanka at Boro when he criticised their preparations for their play-off final in 2015.

Remember him praising Rooney's goal against Bournemouth? Still his club. Sorry, you just don't do that.

Tomlin is a maverick. He's a polarising player. He's a joy to watch. But, I don't want someone here who's going to be a destabilising influence, who will divide the dressing room, who thinks he's top dog. We are slowly but surely building up a young and exciting squad.

Yes, I'll still be thrilled, over the moon, if we get him, but he's not without his problems. Reminds me a lot of Kevin Pietersen to be honest. The difference was that Pietersen was world class and won things for England.

Just out of interest, why wasn't he playing if he was so good at the beginning of the season?

38 minutes ago, westonred said:

We might find there will be 3 or 4 signings already done waiting for Friday 1st July (Start date of players contracts) before annoucing them  :fingerscrossed:

Wishful thinking I'm afraid.

Clubs all around the country are announcing signings pre July 1st. 

41 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I agree 100% with you Fat Cigar. May be time to move on and add LT to the list with Andre Gray and Dwight Gayle.

Except they don't belong on the same list with LT. Gray and Gayle didn't want to be here and LT does. It amazes me people all of a sudden don't want what would be our best player by a good margin(Kodjia aside) because he's open on Twitter. Jamie Vardy is racist but everyone here would be quick to sign him if we could. Some even right now would've taken a chance on Ched Evans who was involved in something much more serious than saying contract talks aren't going well. 

DNA will only take us so far. We need some actual footballing talent to go along with it. 

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Except they don't belong on the same list with LT. Gray and Gayle didn't want to be here and LT does. It amazes me people all of a sudden don't want what would be our best player by a good margin(Kodjia aside) because he's open on Twitter. Jamie Vardy is racist but everyone here would be quick to sign him if we could. Some even right now would've taken a chance on Ched Evans who was involved in something much more serious than saying contract talks aren't going well. 

DNA will only take us so far. We need some actual footballing talent to go along with it. 

People have gone off him because he is it seems messing us about 

we can't spend all summer chasing 1 player

time to ditch him and move on, 

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

No that's is fine. If we don't sign him it should be for two reasons. We can't afford him or we can't wait any longer. Those are fine. I don't go the we shouldn't sign him because of his Twitter use is all I'm saying. 

If he's messing about a bit, OK, this could be his last full value contract. If we need to put out foot down and get an answer and he says no, then so be it. 

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

As far as I can see, we appear to be in negotiations with his agent and are yet to agree terms......how is that "messing us about"?

Funny how LT has been joking around on twitter all summer, making all sorts of statements, many of which have been untrue. Example, the going back to Bournemouth for pre-season tomorrow tweet.

And yet people are very quick to jump on the back of BCFC over this statement of the changing of the deal. 

I for one have a little more trust in the actions of BCFC than to a player who isn't even ours and who clearly writes before he thinks and writes quite a bit of nonsense too. He has already fallen out with one club and doesn't appear to have a host of offers on the table. Use your common sense and read in-between the lines a bit here everyone.

3 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Funny how LT has been joking around on twitter all summer, making all sorts of statements, many of which have been untrue. Example, the going back to Bournemouth for pre-season tomorrow tweet.

And yet people are very quick to jump on the back of BCFC over this statement of the changing of the deal. 

I for one have a little more trust and loyalty in the actions of BCFC than to a player who isn't even ours and who clearly writes before he thinks and writes quite a bit of nonsense too. He has already fallen out with one club and doesn't appear to have a host of offers on the table. Use your common sense and read in-between the lines a bit here everyone.

Yes but doesn't it say something that he writes about us even though he isn't our player? Something is going on, most likely from his end(agent), and it's being ironed out. He wouldn't be in any rush to sign a deal, especially if it's for less than his current one. We need to be patient a bit longer I think. He'd be worth the wait. Have a deadline, I'm ok with that. We need to move on and sign many other players. If it gets closer to deadline, start lining up option B,C and D. 

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yes but doesn't it say something that he writes about us even though he isn't our player? Something is going on, most likely from his end(agent), and it's being ironed out. He wouldn't be in any rush to sign a deal, especially if it's for less than his current one. We need to be patient a bit longer I think. He'd be worth the wait. Have a deadline, I'm ok with that. We need to move on and sign many other players. If it gets closer to deadline, start lining up option B,C and D. 

A deal is well and truly on, yes. Whether or not it is 'the' deal, time will tell.

All i'm saying is, like most of the countries Daily Mail and Sun readers are slowly realising, don't believe everything you read in the papers. And in this case, on twitter.

6 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I for one have a little more trust in the actions of BCFC than to a player who isn't even ours and who clearly writes before he thinks and writes quite a bit of nonsense too. He has already fallen out with one club and doesn't appear to have a host of offers on the table. Use your common sense and read in-between the lines a bit here everyone.

My thoughts too. Where are the other offers? Where are the so-called bigger clubs competing with us for his signature? We may be his only option. 

4 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I guess it must come down to one of two things:

Whilst in long and complex negotiations in becoming the highest ever paid player since our Club started with probably the largest ever transfer fee package- he got frustrated and vented his frustration on social media. That being the case, I suspect SL will be thinking: "Nah- not worth the risk" and LT will find himself in a whole world of hurt.

or

He's a jolly naughty windy up josher who in a couple of tweets has outdone what has taken Robbored about 20,000 posts.

While he is undoubtably a fantastic player does anyone else think that tomlin will be a pain in the arise and probably more trouble than he is worth.

starting to get tired of all of this and he seems to not be conducting himself In a very professional manner on social media. Hope we can move onto other targets if this drags on

The guy has bags of talent agreed, but he is certainly no messiah and we could find better players out there. He stood out last season in a tired looking poor team, one because he was a step up from what we had but also because he only played 20 odd games all season compared to everyone else's 50. 

A lot of fans are warped by moments of magic when apart from those Tomlin was no better than any other player in our team. (Games he did nothing ect)

Personally I think if he does want to sign brilliant get him ready for the season. If not then say TADA and move onto the next target 

In The Evil Post

As for Robins head coach Lee Johnson, he would like to be in a position to announce "one or two" new signings when City throw open the doors of their Failand training headquarters to the media on Friday afternoon. As things stand currently, one of those players could still be Tomlin.

Archived