IGNORED

Hordur "Hodor" Magnusson - Signed

Rocky

2 minutes ago, Clarky89 said:

Ah, he decided to leave and go backwards each transfer. Makes sense. 

Yes because leaving League Two Plymouth for the Scottish Premiership is backwards...

And 2 successive promotions with Rotherham proved what a mistake that move back to England was...

2 minutes ago, !james said:

Yes because leaving League Two Plymouth for the Scottish Premiership is backwards...

And 2 successive promotions with Rotherham proved what a mistake that move back to England was...

He didn't leave Plymouth in League 2.

Not saying successive promotions aren't good, but they got rid as soon as they were out of League One. 

He didn't leave Plymouth in League 2.

Not saying successive promotions aren't good, but they got rid as soon as they were out of League One. 

Okay League One, point still stands.

Not really sure what your overall point is apart from your original nonsense! 

4 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/aberdeen-fc/kari-wont-rule-out-return-to-dons/

By "fans' favourite" they must have meant "abject failure".

I answered someones question of whether he played for Iceland at the Euros. I said no, Arnason was ahead of him, a player that played mostly in the lower leagues of English football. 

Both true. 

Never seen Magnusson play, so not quite in the 'what an amazing transfer' bandwagon as everyone else. 

Simple. :) 

I answered someones question of whether he played for Iceland at the Euros. I said no, Arnason was ahead of him, a player that played mostly in the lower leagues of English football. 

Both true. 

Never seen Magnusson play, so not quite in the 'what an amazing transfer' bandwagon as everyone else. 

And unless I misread then tried to cast shade on his club career and got caught out. But anyway, calling it an amazing transfer might be OTT (has anyone said that though?) but he was doing fairly well in the second division of Italian football last season so...

5 minutes ago, Clarky89 said:

Both true. 

Factually incorrect. 

image.png

3 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

And unless I misread then tried to cast shade on his club career and got caught out. But anyway, calling it an amazing transfer might be OTT (has anyone said that though?) but he was doing fairly well in the second division of Italian football last season so...

Wouldn't say I was caught out, had a different opinion and discussed it with some of you. That's what we do on forums, no? 

75 games in The Championship according to Transfermarkt.

Oh, and Champions League too.

We aren't (allegedly) buying a finished article, so the comparisons are futile to some extent, as are many comparisons.

Lets hope our scouting network and their ability to scout a player is more knowledgeable than us....although we can all have our view.

Kari Arnason - Transfermarkt

image.png

Boys, boys. Surely you are all missing the point. Iceland's success was built on the team ethic, putting together an 11 that worked best together. It could be that Arnason had certain attributes that fitted that better in Lars Lagerbeck's opinion, nothing to do with whether a player is more talented, has a greater future or even a better CV, just what suited the way they wanted to play. Maybe Magnusson is more attacking than Arnason, or less attacking, has a different passing style, who knows. It's totally irrelevant to us as we are not signing Arnason, but apparently are someway towards signing another member of the squad.

1 hour ago, bcfcRobbo said:

Liked the sound of this until I found out he didn't even play at the euros. Obv could still turn out to be and excellent signing but it worries me a little. I know he plays for Juve but £3m for a player that doesn't even start for Iceland....?

Yet most on here were happy when we were "close" on signing a youngster who had barely played for Liverpool for £3.5m...

For Juventus to have signed him, and to have been named in Icelands squad, he obviously has something.

Matthews never made the final Wales squad, but most would take him right now!!

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Boys, boys. Surely you are all missing the point. Iceland's success was built on the team ethic, putting together an 11 that worked best together. It could be that Arnason had certain attributes that fitted that better in Lars Lagerbeck's opinion, nothing to do with whether a player is more talented, has a greater future or even a better CV, just what suited the way they wanted to play. Maybe Magnusson is more attacking than Arnason, or less attacking, has a different passing style, who knows. It's totally irrelevant to us as we are not signing Arnason, but apparently are someway towards signing another member of the squad.

Precisley. Magnusson is good on the ball for a centre half but Iceland don't play a possession based style so they don't need him like that , they just need someone to defend balls coming into the box and someone with experience that will know what to do.

How about we don't judge a player we've never seen play till he actually plays for us? I'm sure there are instances of a young player not playing over an exprienced player in a major tournament that have ended up being a good signing.

7 minutes ago, Clarky89 said:

Actually thought he was released by Rotherham before the Championship season. So hands up on that one. 

Haha! ;) 

Guess that fact didn't fit your agenda ;)

Hey, its all good fun, nothing like a nice healthy debate over a 33 year old Icelandic defender to motivate you on a Monday morning when you should be working... 

5 minutes ago, !james said:

Guess that fact didn't fit your agenda ;)

Hey, its all good fun, nothing like a nice healthy debate over a 33 year old Icelandic defender to motivate you on a Monday morning when you should be working... 

Had more productive mornings. ;) 

51 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

You're not allowed to post sensible stuff. I agree with you. Maybe they just fancied the experience. He's been playing for Iceland since 2005. You would assume he's got the experience they wanted as he's been playing long before Magnusson was even relevant. 11 years ago our target was 12. Can't discount the experience Arnason has. 

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

It appears that the initial excitement and ecstasy of the first few pages of this thread revealing a spectacular 'record signing' of an Icelandic International and young Juve starlet has  miraculously given way  to us possibly signing a guy who can't even make a part time side and actually plays for a team I've never heard of.

.........And some posters saying humour isn't allowed on this thread- or was that just intentional humour?

You've never heard of Juventus?

Archived