IGNORED

Bristol City v Exeter City - Carabao Cup R1 - Match Day

Septic Peg

Pleased we start the season with a win but still felt like it was solid, if unspectacular for me. Not necessarily a problem, given it's the first game of the season. Got the job done.

Nice cameo from Semenyo - Moore looked good. Massengo some great moments, but i'm not waxing lyrical as much as some, still had a few dodgy moments that against superior quality would get punished more.

Little concerned though with some of the space they found against us, especially in first half. Felt we could still have perhaps moved it quicker from the back, but maybe we were controlling the game. Will be interested to see if we continue the long ball from Bentley to Fam tactic, or if that was game specific. Worked a few times with Fam putting Wells in and the busy bees doing well to feed off the scraps. Not sure it will work in the Championship, however.

Promising we've got some key players to return....let's hope we build on that. 

1 hour ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Ha, I've just got an obsession with good old fashioned wingers. Some of the best Bristol City teams in the past always had them. But you're right, I can only see us shifting to a 4-3-3 outside of this 1st choice 3-5-2. That's why it's probably curtains for Eliasson here and maybe O'Dowda too. 

Most likely. But I want an identity. A style of play we stick to and not worry about opposition. And condemn LJ tombola  to the bin. If we get that with Holden and the new set up great stuff. We will get injuries loss of form etc but simply replace like for like. 

15 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Most likely. But I want an identity. A style of play we stick to and not worry about opposition. And condemn LJ tombola  to the bin. If we get that with Holden and the new set up great stuff. We will get injuries loss of form etc but simply replace like for like. 

Dean after today's game:

"People talk about DNA and identity, I’m not one of them who has a set way of playing. You’ve got to find different ways to win against how opposition set up."

16 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Dean after today's game:

"People talk about DNA and identity, I’m not one of them who has a set way of playing. You’ve got to find different ways to win against how opposition set up."

See, I consider this a negative approach (and I did when LJ used similar language), I'd much rather we had an identity that required the opposition to find a way to play against us.

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Jonny Smith - what a goal for Swindon. Everything perfect from the time he brilliantly controls the long pass.

@Garycpos Happy with it mate?

Yes, made the first touch look simple which took it away from the defender ? Nice Goal on his debut ? changed the game when he come on, but unfortunately the team lost and Charlton just had that little bit of extra edge.

Still , good start , ??

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Would you have him in your first choice XI in a 5-3-2?  Wouldn’t be in my team. Much better midfield options and isn’t better than Wells or Fam. 

That’s not an easy question to answer until all the transfer business has been done. 
given who we have now I’d say yes - playing as a deep midfielder - he has the pace and engine to make runs forward but get straight back into position if we lose the ball. 
He’s not great in a tackle and he isn’t prolific in front of goal either, but he is good at pouncing on stray balls, laying off and making a general nuisance of himself. 
I may not start him every game but I wouldn’t want to lose him either. 

25 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Dean after today's game:

Which report/interview was that ?

Only seen the one on BCFC Twitter.

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

@ExiledAjax

@paul_fox

@M.D

@Kingswoodactor

@Monkeh

@Super

Can you hear me?

Can you hear me?

Your negative posts took a hell of a beating

?

To be fair they were quite justified to moan in the first half especially against div 2 team who we should be stuffing.

They probably stopped moaning in the second half. 

Good result in the end but not a particularly good performance - I am sure we will improve with better players returning.

I'd like to put a word in for the sadly much-maligned Jack Hunt. I thought he had an excellent game today. I just don't understand why he always seems to receive negative comments. Unless it's because he is now fulfilling the role of the latest fall guy and scapegoat, which fans seem to relish for some reason.

5 minutes ago, glastonred said:

I'd like to put a word in for the sadly much-maligned Jack Hunt. I thought he had an excellent game today. I just don't understand why he always seems to receive negative comments. Unless it's because he is now fulfilling the role of the latest fall guy and scapegoat, which fans seem to relish for some reason.

Hunt's one of the most prolific assisters City have had in recent times. Fair play to him.

53 minutes ago, glastonred said:

Thought he had a very decent game going both ways today.

I was shouting at him to pull it back for the first....he did.

Far from perfect today, but Exeter made it difficult for us.  We were a bit “safe” with our passing at times.

Thought their RB Kee was useful.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Far from like preseason for me. Exeter were right up for it.

We did well overall I think. We can see in other games that championship teams struggle against teams in lower divisions in the cup.

Good thing is there are obvious things to improve on. Yet we controlled much of the game. And some very promising performances too.

"...and I know it's preseason..." 

28 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Screenshot_20200905-204734.png

Wow!

Portsmouth have won the First Division twice and FA Cup. Wigan, the FA Cup, Hull got to a Final.

Charlton have been a top tier club several times.

So how does a Watney cup compare with Sunderland, Ipswich and better those in first paragraph?

Talk about deluded.

4 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Wow!

Portsmouth have won the First Division twice and FA Cup. Wigan, the FA Cup, Hull got to a Final.

Charlton have been a top tier club several times.

So how does a Watney cup compare with Sunderland, Ipswich and better those in first paragraph?

Talk about deluded.

I see he`s trotting out the old `the ground is holding us back` myth. They can`t even fill the tented village now, how do they reckon they`ll get on with a 20k capacity?

Archived