IGNORED

The Dead of 2022

phantom

16 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Jet Black of The Stranglers aged 84 ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63904248

Yes. :( 84, I remember that they were considered old for the punk scene, but didn't realise that any of them were that old.

Edited by Port Said Red

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-63904248

Yes. :( 84, I remember that they were considered old for the punk scene, but didn't realise that any of them were that old.

He was by far the oldest, and was de facto manager by virtue of the fact he sold his ice-cream van business in the early days to finance the band. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

crikey 84, he’d have been into his 40s when I first saw them.

Must have been one of the most popular bands that came to Bristol in the late 70s early 80s 

Absolutely brilliant band, saw them in Bristol 7 or 8 times.

The classic line up of Cornwell, Burnel, Greenfield (who died of COVID) & Black took some beating.

They were so much better than most punk bands, much smarter & far better musicians.

Their gigs resembled going to football back then too, always the possibility of a scrap.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The classic line up of Cornwell, Burnel, Greenfield (who died of COVID) & Black took some beating.

They were so much better than most punk bands, much smarter & far better musicians.

Their gigs resembled going to football back then too, always the possibility of a scrap.

Yeah I think I saw them a similar amount of times, mainly in Bristol but once at Wembley Arena and once in France.

I always thought they were one of those bands that were better live than on vinyl, there were a good few in the eighties that weren’t.

On 08/12/2022 at 20:21, GrahamC said:

Went to see 'em at the Exhibition Centre in 77, they didn't turn up

4 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Ruth Madoc aged 79

Sad indeed. As a youngster I loved watching Hi-de-Hi, still makes me laugh now, especially the awkward moments between Gladys and Jeffrey Fairbrother. I also remember watching the entire Hi-de-Hi cast in Dick Whittington (Ruth Madoc in the leading role) at the Hippodrome back in the early 80's and it was brilliant.  

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Northern Red said:

That's a sad one, brilliant footballer in his day.

I was so sad when I heard this morning.

I loved watching him for Lazio.

One of the best ever at taking free kicks. 

I don't think many realise how good he was.

Some cracking goals on this clip.

• Like 3

On 17/12/2022 at 10:37, spudski said:

I was so sad when I heard this morning.

I loved watching him for Lazio.

One of the best ever at taking free kicks. 

I don't think many realise how good he was.

Some cracking goals on this clip.

A real Curva Nord idol.

As you say, his free kicks were incredible: I really struggle to think of a better free kick taker than he was.

And yet the game I best remember seeing him live was when he missed a penalty! In the last minute of a Rome derby - would have given Lazio the winner. Perhaps not quite so good under pressure as Mbappe or Messi! 

10 minutes ago, italian dave said:

A real Curva Nord idol.

As you say, his free kicks were incredible: I really struggle to think of a better free kick taker than he was.

And yet the game I best remember seeing him live was when he missed a penalty! In the last minute of a Rome derby - would have given Lazio the winner. Perhaps not quite so good under pressure as Mbappe or Messi! 

Apparently his father had to replace their garage door regularly when he was a youngster, as he practiced freekicks against it.

He was a pleasure to watch. Skillful but full of passion and aggression. 

The Balkan war certainly left its mark on him. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He had his demons - diagnosed some years ago with bi-polar after he attempted suicide. No idea if it’s linked to his death tho.

I was/am a big fan of The Specials but I didn't know much about their back story. Just been reading Terry's obituary in the online Guardian - he was a talented football player as a boy and was asked to go to train with West Brom but his parents weren't prepared to take him preferring to spend their time in the pub, similarly he passed the exams to go to grammar school but again his parents wouldn't send him as it meant buying uniforms, books, etc. He also was a victim of paedophilia aged 12 but said he couldn't tell his family. So a tough start and probably the reason for the issues you describe.

Fortunately he had a great career in music and brought pleasure to many fans.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1