IGNORED

Mason Greenwood

Fordy62

14 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Absolutely revolting. Cannot believe there are so many people keen for him to return.

Who knows what goes on behind closed doors?  But ultimately forgiveness has a part to play.  It is quite possible for, particularly young, people to learn from their mistakes and to change as a result.  Almost everyone deserves a second chance, and it appears that the woman involved had given him that.  Forgiveness is a much more powerful quality than retribution.

• Like 3

Feel like they've hinted at him returning and already trying to soften the blow - the part about the public only seeing partial evidence and where it mentions about him now being a father. Horrible bloke, horrible decision if they keep him, shows that no matter what, it's all about money unfortunately.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Who knows what goes on behind closed doors?  But ultimately forgiveness has a part to play.  It is quite possible for, particularly young, people to learn from their mistakes and to change as a result.  Almost everyone deserves a second chance, and it appears that the woman involved had given him that.  Forgiveness is a much more powerful quality than retribution.

?I wonder why she gave him forgiveness, after even her own Dad berated her for going public with the news.? Put yourself in other shoes - if it was your daughter and a random non millionaire 20 year old and you seen them photos, videos and recordings, would you forgive them?

11 minutes ago, BCFCAL said:

?I wonder why she gave him forgiveness, after even her own Dad berated her for going public with the news.? Put yourself in other shoes - if it was your daughter and a random non millionaire 20 year old and you seen them photos, videos and recordings, would you forgive them?

Exactly. My niece was beaten up by her step uncle last week. Should she forgive him? Should her aunt forgive him?  She’s divorcing him which I think most people would say is the correct decision. Sometimes forgiveness isn’t possible.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Exactly. My niece was beaten up by her step uncle last week. Should she forgive him? Should her aunt forgive him?  She’s divorcing him which I think most people would say is the correct decision. Sometimes forgiveness isn’t possible.

Sorry to hear that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Sorry to hear that. But precisely this, I'm all for forgiveness, but certain things are too big to do so.

• Like 1

The major thing for me is the difference between someone going through a legal process and being found not guilty and a legal process being abandoned because witnesses were not prepared to continue. Legally, he's not been found guilty of a criminal offence but he's in absolutely no way been absolved either and that audio recording is pretty damning. Employers don't have to use the same threshold of evidence as a criminal offence - they can make a decision on the balance of probability rather than proof beyond all reasonable doubt - and it seems pretty clear to me that the balance of probability is that a person heard on an audience recording abusing his girlfriend and attempting to sexually assault her most likely abused his girlfriend and attempted to sexually assault her. 

I fail to see any way that Man Utd or any football club can legitimately say that they believe he is innocent of any wrong doing and I struggle to see how anyone can say even a two year suspension from work is in any way a proportionate enough punishment to say he has paid the price for what he did. Furthermore, there is nothing he has said - or certainly had the courage to say publicly -  that can possibly be construed as genuine remorse for any wrongdoing. So the only possible interpretation of Man Utd keeping him on, or another club taking him on, is that they know what he did and they're okay with it.

It's total moral cowardice. Especially as Man Utd have lacked the courage to even come out and say that is what they intend to do and have instead fumbled the issue and tried to let the news trickle out to try to mute the reaction when they finally make an announcement. 

The last thing I would say is about the players he play with. They don't get to decide who is and isn't on the team and I'm sure that a number of them will have thoughts in private. But any one of them that celebrates with him if he scores a goal is publicly stating they are okay with what he did. I hope at least some of them reflect on that. 

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The disgusting this this comes down to is about money. Man Utd clearly still see him as an asset and that's all they're worried about. It's disgusting.

I don't actually think he should be stopped from having any career in Football completely, but no way should he be given another chance at Man United. What kind of message does this send out to youngsters? You can behave in a disgusting way and as long as you're talented enough, we'll have you back.

If they allow Greenwood back into their squad it will be VERY interesting what the sponsors do and the backlash the club will rightfully get. This isn't just Burton Albion, as Gary Neville would say 'this is Manchester United' - One of the world's elite clubs. It sends out totally the wrong message.

My god Manchester United have gone off a cliff in terms of standards since Fergie left. Never respected them much even back then either.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 2015 said:

The disgusting this this comes down to is about money. Man Utd clearly still see him as an asset and that's all they're worried about. It's disgusting.

I don't actually think he should be stopped from having any career in Football completely, but no way should he be given another chance at Man United. What kind of message does this send out to youngsters? You can behave in a disgusting way and as long as you're talented enough, we'll have you back.

If they allow Greenwood back into their squad it will be VERY interesting what the sponsors do and the backlash the club will rightfully get. This isn't just Burton Albion, as Gary Neville would say 'this is Manchester United' - One of the world's elite clubs. It sends out totally the wrong message.

My god Manchester United have gone off a cliff in terms of standards since Fergie left. Never respected them much even back then either.

I'm guessing it would cost 6 or 7 million to pay up his contract and get shot which tbh is peanuts to a club that size. 

Man Utd seem to be managing PR hard and developing a line that ‘we have seen extensive other evidence that we cannot share, so trust us ok’. Also said they want to see what their women players currently at the World Cup think, which is outrageous in putting them in the firing line.

Its clearly a money call. I think they are in danger of misjudging this badly as ‘yep, some fans will moan but will get over it the first time he scores’. There is at least a chance however this spins out of their control, and frankly the moment sponsors start worrying this is impacting their brand, that is when they will be hammered. Quite rightly.

• Like 1

It really does depend on lots of things and what ifs.

• So many people have made assumptions about her taking a load of cash.
  • Most people have seen some fairly damming footage on Instagram.
  • But none of us have seen the complete picture, there are lots of what if's.

What you can be assured of though is the public lens that's on this case and the court of public opinion is he will never play football in this country again, regardless of what United decide.

• As we've seen pressure group come out and hammer his ex girlfriend.
  • And we've seen pressure groups come out and hammer him.

Which makes any kind of pragmatism on Man Utd's part utterly irrelevant.  Sponsors don't want to associated with perception let alone fact.  

Edited by Lorenzos Only Goal
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Would Greenwood be able to take Man U to court if they just decided to terminate his contract or put something in the media that he won’t play again for them seeing he’s not been convicted of anything? 

You just have to look at the way Mendy has played out, he's gone elsewhere because he knows it's easier.  Greenwood is in a very different place he's not gone to court it might have been better for him has he done so.  It's a very messy case because some of the evidence has been put into the public domain.  He probably won't even be able to get a gig in Saudi without some sort of proper trial to clear things up.  Dropped charges leave so much ambiguity that there will always be noise around this case.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Would Greenwood be able to take Man U to court if they just decided to terminate his contract or put something in the media that he won’t play again for them seeing he’s not been convicted of anything? 

Not if there is anything in his contract about 'bringing the name of the club into disrepute.'

23 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I would guess that Man U are such a prized club to be associated with that the sponsors will stay quiet on this occasion (could be wrong though because backlash from elsewhere will absolutely massive). I would still be surprised if he plays at all for Man U this season due to the feelings people have towards him, loaning him out abroad is the easy way out and can see that being more likely.

Not defending Greenwood but the legal system in Scotland has been changed recently so under 25's are to be 'rehabilitated' and there was a case where someone attacked and raped a 13 year old and was spared jail, if that's going on in this country (Scotland anyway) then I have more problem with that than with Greenwood when he hasn't been found guilty and there is apparently more evidence that the police are aware of but the public aren't.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

You just have to look at the way Mendy has played out, he's gone elsewhere because he knows it's easier.  Greenwood is in a very different place he's not gone to court it might have been better for him has he done so.  It's a very messy case because some of the evidence has been put into the public domain.  He probably won't even be able to get a gig in Saudi without some sort of proper trial to clear things up.  Dropped charges leave so much ambiguity that there will always be noise around this case.

Probably out of order, but I was going to suggest he would be feted in KSA.

30 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I think the nature of this case and the fact some evidence was put into the public domain means he will struggle to play football ever again.

Turkey? Arab world? East Asia?

There are plenty parts of the world that do not recognise the concept of rape unless it's by a complete stranger.

36 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Nonsense. He would 100% be offered something in Saudi IMO. Unfortunately many in the arab world will not see much if anything wrong with what he has done.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

49 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Not if they pay him his contract in full - they would have fulfilled their obligations within the contract

Edited by Riaz
  • Like 1