IGNORED

U20 World Cup - Television Coverage

Bristol Rob

13 hours ago, Northern Red said:

They've got Norton-Cuffy to come in once Coventry are done in the playoffs, think he played RB in the U19 tournament last year.

Is Chukwuemeka from Chelsea going to be a part of the squad when he is finished with Chelsea?

Certainly made a difference in their Euro campaign/

10 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

The comms guy said that he owned midfield .

He looked calm and assured, looking for a forward pass and to get the England team going. Not that easy as they didn't need to do that much, and because of the amount of control they had in the game, the pace slowed, which didn't help. 
Looking forward to see him against the better sides who are happier to come at us a little more.

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 3

Just now, 1960maaan said:

He looked calm and assured, looking for a forward pass and to get the England team going. Not that easy as they didn't need to do that much and because of the amount of control the pace slowed, which didn't help. 
Looking forward to see him against the better sides who are happier to come at us a little more.

I think where you could see the difference was the occasions where he would zip a 20/30m pass through the lines, it would completely change the tempo at times.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Is Chukwuemeka from Chelsea going to be a part of the squad when he is finished with Chelsea?

Certainly made a difference in their Euro campaign/

Believe that he's available after the group stages, same with Lewis Hall of Chelsea. Absolutely ridiculous to pull them from at least half of the tournament when Chelsea have nothing to play for, and they've got about 15 players in each position. Obviously understandable with the players that start week in, week out and have something to play for, like the Coventry boys.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I think where you could see the difference was the occasions where he would zip a 20/30m pass through the lines, it would completely change the tempo at times.

Exactly what I meant about a forward pass, he did it a few times to get us going.
Even his short passes just to keep the ball moving and trying to up the tempo , keeping control and just shifting the defence around. He does look the real deal already.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

Exactly what I meant about a forward pass, he did it a few times to get us going.
Even his short passes just to keep the ball moving and trying to up the tempo , keeping control and just shifting the defence around. He does look the real deal already..

You can definitely see the difference in his game compared to kids of the same age, who have had so little "proper" football.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

You can definitely see the difference in his game compared to kids of the same age, who have had so little "proper" football.

He definitely plays that role that people used to call a "quarterback" sitting deep and dictating tempo, but as much of a creative outlet as players playing further up.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Was just chatting to someone about “game maturity”….too many of the England team in both last summer’s Euro u19s and last night dribble too much.  I’m surprised that they’ve not yet built that maturity to play more pass and move.  Scott and Edwards showed their maturity, I thought Gyabi played well too out of the outfield players.

I think it is clear that the two “lower league lads” show up well, and possibly why Scarlett hasn’t played week in week out for Pompey.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

It’s recorded as a ‘second assist’ in football 

Good to know, and I imagined it was tracked somewhere. I mean more the masses who focus on just goals and assists :). e.g. a 'second assist' in hockey is counted in the stats as indistinguishable from a regular assist.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Good to see Alex pick up a 'hockey assist' i.e. an assist to the assister. Even if that's not a stat most track in Football! :)

Another column for Davefevs' spread sheets? :)

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was just chatting to someone about “game maturity”….too many of the England team in both last summer’s Euro u19s and last night dribble too much.  I’m surprised that they’ve not yet built that maturity to play more pass and move.  Scott and Edwards showed their maturity, I thought Gyabi played well too out of the outfield players.

I think it is clear that the two “lower league lads” show up well, and possibly why Scarlett hasn’t played week in week out for Pompey.

I've seen Scarlett a few times now and he can finish, but his decision making is awful. That team would be lifted by Tommy Conway being in it - proper team player.

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Was just chatting to someone about “game maturity”….too many of the England team in both last summer’s Euro u19s and last night dribble too much.  I’m surprised that they’ve not yet built that maturity to play more pass and move.  

Yep, some of them have an air of "look at me, I'm a Premier League player". Except of course they aren't really if they spend their time e.g. on loan in League 1 or at best perpetually on the bench for their club.

However talented they are they are going to have to rein in their ego if they are to succeed in the club game.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Jebbison is miles better than Scarlett.  Bizarre decision to favour him unless it was just to give him a start with Jebbison being 1st choice ongoing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

image.png.f52eb8ff8741b8326033938ff85600ed.png
?????

Damn - missed it.

As soon as I posted I just knew you'd already have it covered and would doubtless tell me so!

Then again I haven't yet attended my summer school class on interpreting Excel spreadsheets. :)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, The Bard said:

Jebbison is miles better than Scarlett.  Bizarre decision to favour him unless it was just to give him a start with Jebbison being 1st choice ongoing.

I agree, but that was a shocking miss at the very end of the game.

6 hours ago, Tom said:

He definitely plays that role that people used to call a "quarterback" sitting deep and dictating tempo, but as much of a creative outlet as players playing further up.

As mentioned last night it was a bit odd to see him blocking the keeper at corners or lining up with forwards for free kicks into the box when there were 3 other players stood over the dead ball.

Would have expected him to be over the ball, seems there is a pecking order.

One thing I did enjoy was with it not being a City game I could kind of ignore the match and track his movement. Not that there was a lot of excitement to distract me.

6 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

I've seen Scarlett a few times now and he can finish, but his decision making is awful. That team would be lifted by Tommy Conway being in it - proper team player.

Shame Conway isn’t their age group then 

27 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Not sure. 21 in August isn't he.? 

Its based on age group rather than actual age, Conway was age group above Scott so if he wanted to represent England he'd have to get into our U21's side.

7 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

He could play for England despite his caps for Scotland U21s.

Scotland missed a trick there. 5 mins in a friendly would have tied it up

FYI. Fort those who have VPN and other thingies the tournament is being shown by FS2 In the USA. 

Edited by REDOXO

15 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Scotland missed a trick there. 5 mins in a friendly would have tied it up

FYI. Fort those who have VPN and other thingies the tournament is being shown by FS2 In the USA. 

I believe you’re only tied to a particular country once you’ve appeared in a competitive full international.