IGNORED

The Gaffer speaks after tonight’s defeat

RedLionLad

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

It’s a really good point amongst the madness. If Manning does go who the heck do we get next! Hopefully he turns it around and we don’t need to get to that stage any time soon but the whole set up is such a shit show of incompetence that whenever that time does come you’ll bet it’ll be another nightmare.   They just need to go.   They are completely and utterly clueless.   

They foot the bill for being clueless egomaniacs and utterly incompetent, that's the rub. But that, the HPC and the revamped stadium is the sum total of their twenty two years or whatever it is (couldn't be arsed to look tbh) mega money contribution.

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

10 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

Well that was inspirational he looked and sounded like a man finished already how depressing i fear for the futre

He just sounded like a monotone bore, no disrespect to the guy, and managed to shoehorn "behaviours in" (Bullshit Bingo cards at the ready every week moving forwards lads). To me he didn't sound broken, finished, excited, hyperactive or nothing - just completely and utterly boring and emotionLESS to listen to. As I don't want the bloke to fail but CANNOT listen to that every week, I shall be giving his interviews a miss........permanently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, NewquayRed said:

Totally agree like it or not I don’t see a change happening with the Manager unless we’re relegated and even then not nailed on. Have to back them 

Agreed, they’ve made a big call and have to ride it out now. 

I can understand the thought process behind Manning, that in itself is an improvement when you compare to the appointment of Holden. I just question whether it’s the right time for such a different approach.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm now starting to question the departure of Alexander. I believe in his leaving statement he said something along the lines of "the club is in good hands with Nige and his team" 

So I'm wondering if the writing was on the wall for Nige back then? Obviously something caused Phil to leave and I do not believe them when they say it was a reshuffle. 

I'm guessing when I say this but maybe Phil was an advocate for NP and the lack of funds he was given etc. 

So therefore in order for the board to get rid of Nige, they needed to get rid of Phil too? 

Absolutely this, he constantly called Pearson "football royalty"

Like writing your own P45...

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed, they’ve made a big call and have to ride it out now. 

I can understand the thought process behind Manning, that in itself is an improvement when you compare to the appointment of Holden. I just question whether it’s the right time for such a different approach.

I don't (in hindsight admittedly). Sid clearly intimated that front foot, attacking football would be delivered, HIS words, not our interpretation, and then proceeded to recruit patient, possession heavy football instead. Manning hasn't hoodwinked anyone, that's his style. Tell me the "thought process" behind saying one thing and recruiting another or even whether there was any thought AT ALL let alone a "process" - this isn't a dig at you btw. 

3 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Absolutely this, he constantly called Pearson "football royalty"

Like writing your own P45...

Almost like he wanted to receive his P45................

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I don't (in hindsight admittedly). Sid clearly intimated that front foot, attacking football would be delivered, HIS words, not our interpretation, and then proceeded to recruit patient, possession heavy football instead. Manning hasn't hoodwinked anyone, that's his style. Tell me the "thought process" behind saying one thing and recruiting another or even whether there was any thought AT ALL let alone a "process" - this isn't a dig at you btw. 

What I mean by that the board clearly have wanted to be part of the ‘progressive manager’ club.

They’ve seen lots of similar sized and smaller clubs get promoted with this model.

If that’s what they’re looking for then Manning is a logical choice. He has good credentials and far better experience than Holden or Johnson when appointed. 

Is November, in a competitive league, the right time for such an appointment though? It’s a big risk.

Edited by Phileas Fogg

Sorry, I can't see the logic....you sack an experienced 'old bloke' who has experience of getting promotion to the premier league, who was working with no budget and is expected to use academy players and shop in the bottom half of the championship and league 1. Team were incredibly united and were showing signs of improvement. 'Young bloke' comes in (I like him btw) and trys to adopt a completely different style of playing. Looks reasonably OK on the eye having more possession but we lack any increased chance of scoring.... it's currently 0.83PPG

I think Jon will spend around 5 million to cover his arse in January....his 'we may try and fast track our summer plan comment' should now be amended to 'we need to fast track our summer plan immediately' 😂

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What I mean by that the board clearly have wanted to be part of the ‘progressive manager’ club.

They’ve seen lots of similar sized and smaller clubs get promoted with this model.

If that’s what they’re looking for then Manning is a good choice. He has good credentials and far better experience than Holden or Johnson when appointed. 

Is November, in a competitive league, the right time for such an appointment though? It’s a big risk.

Understand what you are saying. My issue is that had Sid kept his mouth shut and not talked about front foot, attacking football then the recruitment of a possession heavy, patient approach Manager wouldn't have been such an issue. It's the "make it up as we go" ethos of our Board that is grating tbh.

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Of course it is possible but we have a number of the bottom third side a still to play at home.

Now the fact we are even having to think about it a bit is fairly disgraceful and massively self-inflicted but we likely have enough home games that are winnable for one.

Trouble is if we don't get points against those down the bottom then we really are in the sh!t.

My view, how a manager interviews is not really an issue. They have a media job to do but whatever is said is unlikely to hold any real weight.

What is a thousand times more important is how the players see him through the week. I watched about 80% of last nights game in between family duties. What I saw was a City team that only came to life after going 2 goals down. Why was that? What was the mind set before ko?

It might be that LM needs to develop his own style to include some hair dryer treatment or at least a way to fire the team up. They looked set up to pass their way to a draw, little ambition and movement off the ball until it was too late.

I wasn't impressed by Blackburn, there were points on offer there for me. We finished the game well but too little, too late.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Was Manning first choice? I thought Eustace turned us down? 

• Flames 1

Just now, exAtyeoMax said:

I don't think Manning was first choice and I would expect a Technical Director who has just explained the new club "ethos" to have more than ONE person in mind that could deliver it rather than risk getting turned down by said person and then make it up as they go. That is LITERALLY his job to get those "minor details" right.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm now starting to question the departure of Alexander. I believe in his leaving statement he said something along the lines of "the club is in good hands with Nige and his team" 

So I'm wondering if the writing was on the wall for Nige back then? Obviously something caused Phil to leave and I do not believe them when they say it was a reshuffle. 

I'm guessing when I say this but maybe Phil was an advocate for NP and the lack of funds he was given etc. 

So therefore in order for the board to get rid of Nige, they needed to get rid of Phil too? 

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Oh, he was stitched up.  Another who made the mistake of daring to question a Lansdown!!!

Oh for **** sake.

I hadn't clocked this at the time but this is exactly what has happened isn't it?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I don't think Manning was first choice and I would expect a Technical Director who has just explained the new club "ethos" to have more than ONE person in mind that could deliver it rather than risk getting turned down by said person and then make it up as they go. That is LITERALLY his job to get those "minor details" right.

7 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I do think he was first choice, and was pretty much always who they had their eye on to replace Pearson, whenever that would be 

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

10 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

When he joined I made a comparison with Clough taking over after Rennie at Leeds. I did point out that our situation wasn't to that extreme. But there were some similarities. I got laughed out of the building for suggesting that. 

Manning came in and essentially did what Clough did. And that was to rip everything up and say its my way now. 

Whilst I appreciate Manning wanted to get his principles in from day 1. I think it should have been more like what you suggest. An evolution, not a mid season revolution. 

It was Revie. Clough was a one-off maverick. He told the Leeds players that they'd won their medals by cheating. Leeds had been very successful under Revie. Apart from just about all the details, yeah pretty similar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robinforlife2 said:

I feel sorry for Manning. Most new managers are given at least a chance by the fans, but it really does feel that a number are wishing him to fail because of their displeasure at what the board have done. This is not Liam's fault. I don't think we've played badly, and I think over time, when we get a couple of additions and key players return from injury, the way he wants us to play, will improve us. It's going to take time, but I think in the long run he'll come good. Yes vent and have a go at powers at the helm, but we should be giving Manning full support, and chants about Nigel Pearson as nothing but disrespect towards LM. 

Should we feel sorry for LM? For me, no. He has taken on a job that I can't blame him for taking but he must've considered best and worst case scenarios. 

I've made no secret on here that I felt pre-appointment and post-appointment that LM is not the right person for the job for reasons I've given many times. Many times I've been given grief by posters on here that seem to be conspicuous by their absence lately.

Did and do I want him to fail. Absolutely not. Is it his fault. Absolutely, at at least in large part. If you play key players out of position, leave key players out and substitute players that seem to be our better players several times in his first 6 games. Then of course it's his fault!

You and others have mentioned 'the long run', 'injury returns', 'additions'. None of those have any certainty and in particular, a long run in the Championship will not happen if the last 6 games is replicated across the remainder of the season. We don't have time.

I won't be chanting about NP or the Board on Saturday but LM needs to earn some respect before he can be disrespected.

Edited by supercidered
spelling
  • Like 2

The vital spark in most organisation comes from "big characters". We had this in NP and CF - but now we seem totally bland and I worry that there is not enough character in the leadership and staff to fix what they have broken. City is a huge part of life for most of us and we need to see the vital spark. A lacklustre chairman, a bean counter and a dull manage who appears to lack confidence is not what we need right now. How I miss Nige and Curtis.

• Like 9
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

He just has to win next two home matches.  Anything else leads to only one conclusion.

If he does lose these two games then I really wouldn’t want him and Tinnion to spend money in January which potentially will leave our next manager/coach with a problem of a disjointed and low morale squad

Edited by Ivorguy
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

He just has to win next two home matches.  Anything else leads to only one conclusion.

If he does lose these two games then I really wouldn’t want him and Tinnion to spend money in January which potentially will leave our next manager/coach with a problem of a disjointed and low morale squad

At least three points I think. Don’t have a great feeling about Saturday but hope to be wrong obviously.

4 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Completely agree. Win the next two games against Sunderland and Hull and it will be much more positive and look like we have turned a corner.

Lose them and it will be a pretty toxic atmosphere. 

23 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

The vital spark in most organisation comes from "big characters". We had this in NP and CF - but now we seem totally bland and I worry that there is not enough character in the leadership and staff to fix what they have broken. City is a huge part of life for most of us and we need to see the vital spark. A lacklustre chairman, a bean counter and a dull manage who appears to lack confidence is not what we need right now. How I miss Nige and Curtis.

I don't think he's dull or lacking in confidence. He just needs time - admittedly JL etc haven't made it easy for him with their comments.

And I'm not worried that we'll get relegated. NP only managed 12 points in his first 15 games and we stayed up. There are worse teams than us in this division.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Oh, he was stitched up.  Another who made the mistake of daring to question a Lansdown!!!

Alexander's days were also numbered as soon as he described Nigel as football royalty. Steve is the only royalty around these parts.

Edited by chinapig
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

I feel sorry for Manning. Most new managers are given at least a chance by the fans, but it really does feel that a number are wishing him to fail because of their displeasure at what the board have done. This is not Liam's fault. I don't think we've played badly, and I think over time, when we get a couple of additions and key players return from injury, the way he wants us to play, will improve us. It's going to take time, but I think in the long run he'll come good. Yes vent and have a go at powers at the helm, but we should be giving Manning full support, and chants about Nigel Pearson as nothing but disrespect towards LM. 

He's not helping himself by forcing the transition now - that's squarely on Manning.

The big risk for him is if he loses confidence of the players.

He should have stuck with the old system for the time being until he got players in January and made small adjustments. It's just basic poor management.

Either way, I don't think the majority of fans will blame Manning directly, vitriol will be saved for the board. As without them this whole mess doesn't happen.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

At least three points I think. Don’t have a great feeling about Saturday but hope to be wrong obviously.

Would imagine Sunderland will sell their allocation, their players will be full of confidence, frankly I can only see one result, but like you will be praying I’m wrong.

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

I do think he was first choice, and was pretty much always who they had their eye on to replace Pearson, whenever that would be 

Me too.

We weren’t interested in Eustace, we wanted this type & the other 2 possibles were similar to him.

If anyone said no to us my guess is it was the Portsmouth manager.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1