IGNORED

The Zak Vyner Range

5 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I know it’s easy to get carried away with things that don’t really matter, but for me this says so much about our club and it’s culture.

The lack of care. The lack of attention to detail. The lack of concern for the quality of the product. The disconnect and disregard for supporters demonstrated by charging £35 for a cheap looking white t shirt. The lack of self awareness to not realise how embarrassing this all is.

I really don’t like this club at the moment.

Exactly - it’s not about the clothing range, it’s precisely what you’ve written above. 

• Thanks 1

Apart from Zak Vyner who would contemplate wearing a shirt bearing someone else's middle name.

I get kids wanting a Messi or Ronaldo shirt but would they be so keen if only had their middle names on it ?

• Like 3

How many of those £35 t shirts are they expecting to sell do you think? Because I genuinely can’t imagine anyone wanting one at that price.

Clearly it’s aimed at a younger market. But that’s not a generation flush with cash - and why would anyone buy one at that price point when they could buy a much higher quality product from a recognised designer or sports brand? After 30 seconds on google I found Hugo Boss t shirts selling for less than this crap.

Just embarrassing.

59732FA8-BA9F-4539-A1D3-BC319DEB6EA3.jpeg

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Interestingly, Vyner hasn’t shared anything about it on social media. If this was his initiative - he surely would’ve done.

Wonder what on earth he thinks of it.

He’s probably seen the reaction.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Jeez didn't realise it was £35. Wow £35 !!!!! For basically a plain white t shirt. 

Could be a lot worse, a lot. I'm no fashionista and I've never heard of either label , but man you have to be seriously rich to buy these.

Screenshot2024-03-28at08_43_16.png.6e6835f8a14bc307959f5b84ae16a2f0.png

Screenshot2024-03-28at08_43_31.png.3704c6adcad431e660679797d694ac93.png

Or really plain ....

Screenshot2024-03-28at08_45_09.png.76c4061d4e85c774568ab48605ebefa7.png

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Could be a lot worse, a lot. I'm no fashionista and I've never heard of either label , but man you have to be seriously rich to buy these.

Screenshot2024-03-28at08_43_16.png.6e6835f8a14bc307959f5b84ae16a2f0.png

Screenshot2024-03-28at08_43_31.png.3704c6adcad431e660679797d694ac93.png

Or really plain ....

Screenshot2024-03-28at08_45_09.png.76c4061d4e85c774568ab48605ebefa7.png

Couple of points, you’re a stylish bloke…

Secondly I read the second one as “Lavin” & immediately thought if Zak Vyner’s middle name on a T shirt is niche, what does it make that!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The social media team also have favourite players

I’m going to make an educated guess as to how this came about… in all “fun” social media posts, players are asked:”Who has the best fit?” and the answer is always Zak.

Some social media junior (probably Jon) put two and two together and came up with this mess of an idea.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Secondly I read the second one as “Lavin” & immediately thought if Zak Vyner’s middle name on a T shirt is niche, what does it make that!

About £240 more niche 🤣

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

18 minutes ago, SydneyCity said:

I’m going to make an educated guess as to how this came about… in all “fun” social media posts, players are asked:”Who has the best fit?” and the answer is always Zak.

Some social media junior (probably Jon) put two and two together and came up with this mess of an idea.

Agreed. Without wanting to turn this into a criticism of Manning, I don’t think this would’ve happened under Pearson. Actually I think most of our previous managers - perhaps Holden aside - would’ve had objections.

How they failed to anticipate the response this would’ve received is beyond me.

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Whilst I normally agree with all your posts SD, surely the U18's farce and not filling the bench is a case in point. Pearson had no problem playing and using Yeboah, presumably against the wishes if Tinnion, bearing in mind their stated aim of winning the youth Cup.

The minute Manning walks through the door Yeboah is nowhere near the first team. He and the other U18' involved at first team level, start training seperately and Yeboah is loaned out to prepare for the youth Cup.

These decisions show to me that Manning is malleable and Pearson told them what to do with their youth Cup.

I think that is more to do with LM being desperate to get results and can’t risk trying youngsters.  Nige was happy to try them out.  If Mebude can’t get minutes, Yeboah, Meerholz etc ain’t gonna.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Whilst I normally agree with all your posts SD, surely the U18's farce and not filling the bench is a case in point. Pearson had no problem playing and using Yeboah, presumably against the wishes if Tinnion, bearing in mind their stated aim of winning the youth Cup.

The minute Manning walks through the door Yeboah is nowhere near the first team. He and the other U18' involved at first team level, start training seperately and Yeboah is loaned out to prepare for the youth Cup.

These decisions show to me that Manning is malleable and Pearson told them what to do with their youth Cup.

Yes. And I strongly suspect things like this are just the tip of the iceberg.

My main concern is when the big bids come in from the US consortiums and Oligarchs, this range of clothing has likely pushed us out of their price range. Negotiating the sale of x 2 football clubs, rugby club, basketball team, ground, training ground, sports complex, and now Onyego - they are going to need deep pockets. And then there is fever pitch, who I can only imagine will look to buy out of their current situation and float themselves, but will they hand over the Onyego rights. It feels oh so very much like Jordan v Nike. Or Bas savage v Matalan. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Surely nobody is actually outraged? It's just funny/weird.

When you think about it... the team 14th in the Championship, off the back of losing six of their past seven games, have decided it's a good time to release a clothing range alongside a solid and reliable but not spectacular mid-20s centre-half.

I mean... what?!

Or perhaps it's just the time the stuff was ready?

If they'd waited for us to win 3 on the bounce the same people would be say it's capitalising on a few good results.

It's a frankly stupid thing for people to give a shit about one way or the other.

• Like 1

Just now, transfer reader said:

If they'd waited for us to win 3 on the bounce the same people would be say it's capitalising on a few good results.

It's a frankly stupid thing for people to give a shit about one way or the other.

I understand where you're coming from but if you really want to run with it, maybe just park the whole thing until the club - or Zak himself - is doing better? When there's a better feeling about the place?

The broader point is as a club we're just absolutely horseshit at reading the room.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Just now, The Journalist said:

I understand where you're coming from but if you really want to run with it, maybe just park the whole thing until the club - or Zak himself - is doing better? When there's a better feeling about the place?

The broader point is as a club we're just absolutely horseshit at reading the room.

So you'd rather wait then moan they're cashing in on good results.

Lose/lose for the club then.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think that is more to do with LM being desperate to get results and can’t risk trying youngsters.  Nige was happy to try them out.  If Mebude can’t get minutes, Yeboah, Meerholz etc ain’t gonna.

Yeah exactly. He had Yeboah in his first squads but save for that cameo at Blackburn didn’t play him - think he’s a bit too chaotic for Liams order. As noted, he’s not got a great history of playing youngsters so there’s no reason why he’d start now anyway.

I’d maintain that there is a lot to criticise Liam for. But I don’t think you make the single minded career moves he has and stick steadfastly to the way of playing he has without a strong belief in himself and what he thinks is right. 

I don’t think he’s a puppet. I think he’s just not very good!

5 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

To be fair there was never a good time to release these because it’s a shit idea. People would be more likely to laugh it off if things were going well, but it is just a rubbish idea. 

The lose/lose is that nobody is paying £35 for a white T shirt with a good to middling championship centre half’s middle name on it, and that the club thought it would be a seller is just mental.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

Not at all, but obviously football clubs can get away with a lot more when things are going well and the fanbase is onside. I'm not talking about a couple of good results, I'm talking about when there's generally a better feeling about the place. Obviously results contribute to that, but it's not just about results. It's about perception and, to use the same word again, feeling.

Just to use an example, if I'm still not being clear enough - Lee Johnson talking about bottles of wine with Jose Mourinho ahead of the Man Utd cup tie was lapped up and loved at the time because the fans were up and things were going well.

If Lee Johnson gives an identical answer to that question during his final season ahead of the same cup tie but when fans are getting frustrated with how things are going and becoming bored of his David Brentisms the reception is completely different.

Edit: Just to add, as @Silvio Dante says, the idea is a dreadful one full stop. But I still think *if* you're committing to it you can pick your moment.

Edited by The Journalist
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

People aren’t fussed about the clothing range itself - it’s the lack of awareness from the decision makers which obviously will bleed into meaningful decisions they need to make. 

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

£35. THIRTY. FIVE. POUNDS.

Look at the state of it. Joke club.

9891567E-CAB9-47F9-8F98-78FD7504B4BA.jpeg

This has given me a fantastic money making idea. I’m going to buy some of these tee shirts from Peacocks for £5.20. Then I’ll write “Frank” (my middle name) on them in felt tip and sell them for £35, giving me a quick £29.80 profit. OTIB members can have a 5% discount. Just PM me

IMG_5701.jpeg

Edited by pongo88
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not at the price Steve wants, no. Because guess what? He wants most, if not all, of his money back.

I would rather new owners, yes. Even something like the Man U investment with help from the outside would be very welcome. 

Forgot to quote this yesterday, the first bit I really wish every fan would understand and get their head around. He is not treating us as some kind of charity and ploughing money into us out of goodwill. He wants it all back!

I don’t understand why everyone is so quick to be so thankful to him, when he wants all the money hes spent to be reimbursed. It’s not like some Blackburn situation in the 90s. 

It’s like paying rent to your landlord, and personally thanking them every month for letting you live in their house. 

• Like 7
  • Flames 1