IGNORED

2016/17 kit

alexukhc

If you ask me it all went wrong when they dropped the gold and maroon stripes in 1900 and went under the damn umbrella organisation of "Bristol City".

Oh and bring back Woodbines as the shirt sponsor.  "The snout recommend by semi-professional sportsman".

1 minute ago, havanatopia said:

Your next task sir, if i may be so bold or daring, is to find out how many seasons we have played with white shorts amd how many with red. And, perhaps more importantly, what we started with and what we wore in those 9 seasons in the top flight. :)

Oh I know for a fact that we have played far more seasons in white shorts....

I think my outlook on the whole 'tradition' aspect is that you won't find many clubs who have stuck rigidly to the same colour shirt, shorts and socks over the last century. Liverpool are known for their all red kit but that hasn't always been the case as they wore white shorts for half a century, Sheffield Wednesday have swapped between white shorts and socks and black shorts and socks constantly throughout their history, Newcastle have changed from Black to white socks in different seasons. I expect the same pattern at other clubs with supposedly recognisable kits.

As long as our kit is primarily red in colour with at least some white I think it's in keeping with our clubs tradition.

54 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

Nah. city are red socks white shorts and red shirts. fans know it. anybody who knows football know that. not 95% red with bits of white trim. bs should stick to the catering selling tickets running the club shop instead of ditching Citys traditions by stealth.

Was out tradition ditched when Bristol City chose to - as Bristol Sport weren't a thing back then- play in red shorts for 5 seasons at the start of the millennium?

18 minutes ago, City169 said:

Was out tradition ditched when Bristol City chose to - as Bristol Sport weren't a thing back then- play in red shorts for 5 seasons at the start of the millennium?

Depends on how serious people want to take 'history' I suppose.

If you go back to 1894, which some on here say should be the actual date on our crest, the year the club was formed as Bristol South End, the kit was red shirts with blue socks and shorts.

When the name Bristol City was adopted in 1897 we did indeed wear Red shirts, white shorts and red socks.

During the early 1900s the club also used black socks in its kit, and again from the mid 1920's until 1939. Black socks were then ditched in favour of red and white hooped socks.

Red shorts were first used in 1965 until the early 70's.

By the early 80's we were in black shorts and once again, black socks.

1992 saw a return to the white shorts and socks combo, first worn in 1962/3. Red shorts joined the white socks for a one off season in 1999/200 and the all red kit was back for 5 seasons from 2001.

So in summary, blue shorts and socks it is!!

22 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Here's our 1909 FA Cup final shirt....complete with what appears to be an early version of the badge we are using next year. Red and white crest badge and a BLUE shirt. 

Imagine the uproar that caused on 'ye olde OTIB' at the time.....

image.jpeg

My quill is poised and velum stretched.....

1 hour ago, Three Lions said:

Of course city have played in red shorts occasionally. but bs are rebranding the club. # Bristol makingbristolproud red crests. that is not what they are there for.

Usual anti-Bristol Sport nonsense. As if our kit never evolved or included red shorts in the days before Bristol Sport existed.

Perhaps you would like to blame Bristol Sport for the demise of the robin?

Hardly a "rebrand" anyway. Subtle changes like there have always been. Still a red shirt, still called Bristol City, still play at Ashton Gate. We even called a path "Marina Dolman Way"!

2 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Even our badge is red and white (I won't get people started on that although I think it looks great).

I don't mind it either TBH Pierre.

As we all know, Bristol is red, so why not make the coat of arms of Bristol all red?

#nobrainer

2 hours ago, Three Lions said:

Of course city have played in red shorts occasionally. but bs are rebranding the club. # Bristol makingbristolproud red crests. that is not what they are there for.

So, when we wore red shorts for quite a few seasons at the start of the century, was that a 'rebranding'? Of does it only count when you can blame Bristol Sport for it?

The way some people on here go on about it, you'd think that before Bristol Sport existed everything was rosey on and off the pitch, and no mistakes were ever made.

For the record, other than the (frankly ridiculous) hashtags I really like the kit. Sorry to be all controversial.

2 hours ago, Three Lions said:

Did you cry like a girl when Park Furnishers plastered their name over the shirts back in 82 as this was a rebrand too far and our generic red shirt had more to do with interior design than a professional football club?

23 minutes ago, Sixtyseconds said:

They rebrand every year.

Never seen all these weird symbols and terms before.

An infant child with a marker.

Bristol on the socks.

Perhaps these geniuses should include directions as well just in case we the dumb have forgotten where Bristol City are.

Actually its Bristol City on the socks. Sorry for using facts to stop the anti Bristol Sport spin there.

Tinkermania for 'daft herberts' as Red Rob says.

And thanks to Hanrahan for pointing out, as others, that we are what we are which is red top, white shorts and red with white socks... Nothing more and nothing less. Any fart arsing around outside of this is messing with us fans. I hope they sell no shorts whatsoever. Period.

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Tinkermania for 'daft herberts' as Red Rob says.

And thanks to Hanrahan for pointing out, as others, that we are what we are which is red top, white shorts and red with white socks... Nothing more and nothing less. Any fart arsing around outside of this is messing with us fans. I hope they sell no shorts whatsoever. Period.

When I started watching - late sixties - we were all red, do that has always seemed normal to me.

As far as I know, Liverpool were red and white until 1964, when Shankly changed them to red shorts. Around the same time, Revie changed Leeds to all white, to imitate Real. I'm guessing we changed to all red to copy Liverpool for a few years.

White shorts haven't been a constant and aren't crucial.

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

And thanks to Hanrahan for pointing out, as others, that we are what we are which is red top, white shorts and red with white socks... 

I didn't say that at all mate, I said we are red and white. The new kit uses both colours although obviously more red than white.

Fine by me, I love red.

3 minutes ago, Leveller said:

When I started watching - late sixties - we were all red, do that has always seemed normal to me.

As far as I know, Liverpool were red and white until 1964, when Shankly changed them to red shorts. Around the same time, Revie changed Leeds to all white, to imitate Real. I'm guessing we changed to all red to copy Liverpool for a few years.

White shorts haven't been a constant and aren't crucial.

Every club in the country has at some point, made changes to their socks and shorts combinations. The one constant is the colour of the shirts, although as you point out with Leeds, even that can change. Styles can chane as well. The gAss have not always worn quarters, having had stripes and plain shirts at times in the 60's and 70's.

Leicester as an example, are this season wearing all blue when they have traditionally worn white shorts. Doubt their fans give much of a hoot about it at the moment though.

6 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Here's our 1909 FA Cup final shirt....complete with what appears to be an early version of the badge we are using next year. Red and white crest badge and a BLUE shirt. 

image.jpeg

The only City shirt I own.

7 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

image.jpeg

Where's the Robin

10 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I understand thats an extra fiver a sleeve.

As for the red shorts?.... What are these clowns thinking of? We are not Liverpool, we do not want to be Liverpool so why trash, yet again, 100 years of tradition. Sorry folks but its an awful decision.

Two years ago they got it right, for the first time since the first division days. At the beginning of this season they should have left it well alone, they tinkered and its not bad and now this crap. I don't care what some people say about my rant it is exploitation of the masses by utterly disregarding tradition and that is everything for a sports club around for a century or more. Shameful.

I hope they repent and revert back to our original white shorts. 

Whilst I prefer the white shorts we have worn red shorts between 1965-1971, 1999-2000, 2001-2006 and 2012-2013 so it's not exactly the first time it's happened. I don't mind it too much, would much rather white shorts but all red doesn't look bad and our kit is basically red with white highlights, it's actually a very nice kit minus the hashtags. One thing we have going for us and should be thankful is it's not a template kit with our badge thrown on it, at least it's original.

8 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

image.jpeg

It wouldnt have raised an eyebrow since Rovers were playing in black and white stripes at that time, and didnt start wearing blue until 1930.

Archived