IGNORED

Pet hates OTIB room 101

Major Isewater

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

Totally with you on that Dave, sadly the majority follow the narrative and January is a quiet damp Squibb, when it should be just a normal month. 

I absolutely hate Xmas...had to endure Christmas songs on repeat from the middle of November until January at work. Worse than Chinese water torture 🙈🥴

Ha,ha tell me about it, i work in one of the big 5 starting at 03.00 and the shite is on at that time.

Although New Years Eve i'v never liked 12.00 every man and women trying to hug you like you've been best friends for 20 years.

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

We go out to eat more in January than in December.

December most places seem to think that Christmas, works parties etc etc means that it’s  OK to charge inflated prices for very average food.

January - much quieter, back to a proper menu, personal service, and like you say get to forget the weather, cold etc etc! 

My wife and I hold the same view about Valentines Day.

We haven't eaten out on February 14 for years, but usually have a very nice romantic dinner (dressed up, candles etc.) and a nice bottle of wine.

Far nicer all round.

• Like 1

When you pull out onto a road in perfectly good time, but the person behind feels the need to drive quickly up your backside to prove a point that I shouldn’t have pulled out?

**** off init.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Ha,ha tell me about it, i work in one of the big 5 starting at 03.00 and the shite is on at that time.

Although New Years Eve i'v never liked 12.00 every man and women trying to hug you like you've been best friends for 20 years.

I've started putting ear buds in :laugh:

10 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

My wife and I hold the same view about Valentines Day.

We haven't eaten out on February 14 for years, but usually have a very nice romantic dinner (dressed up, candles etc.) and a nice bottle of wine.

Far nicer all round.

My birthday is 14th Feb. Unless you book well in advance trying to get in any restaurant is impossible.

I was apparently born at 3:20am and mum wasn’t aware what day it was - had she realised she’d have called me Valentine.

Dodged a bullet there!

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 21/01/2024 at 02:23, Lew-T said:

When you pull out onto a road in perfectly good time, but the person behind feels the need to drive quickly up your backside to prove a point that I shouldn’t have pulled out?

**** off init.

Or they blow their horn. If you have time to blow your horn then you didn’t need to do it. 
People who dash out from a junction in front of you and then poodle along at speeds lower than necessary. 

People who say “Absolutely” rather than “Yes”

TV interviewers who ask people how they feel

Adverts in which people smile so widely they almost break their jaws, especially if for life insurance or funeral plans.

No apostrophe after names ending in s, as in the hairdresser near me called ‘Kris’ Barber”

Hugging relative strangers*

Telling relative strangers that you really love them*

[*cf The Traitors]

People who don’t know the difference between ‘infer’ and ‘imply’

TV news readers and presenters who think it is humorous to pretend they are as thick as two short planks

People who laugh mockingly about things that happened in ‘the olden days’

Contestants on quiz shows who say they don’t know an answer because ‘they weren’t even born then’.

I could go on…

• Like 1

On 28/01/2024 at 21:26, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

TV news readers and presenters who think it is humorous to pretend they are as thick as two short planks

Having seen a few on "celebrity" game/quiz shows, I'd say there's some who aren't pretending!

• Like 1

• Admin
On 15/01/2024 at 20:49, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Too busy looking at their phones from what I've seen before :facepalm:

Another annoyance of mine at lights (this happens every sodding day by where the Happy Landings pub used to be, behind a car in right hand lane and then when the lights change they suddenly decide to indicate right and everyone behind is stuck, so inconsiderate) 

Along with the bellends that can't read or tell the time and drive like the bus lanes on the A37 in Knowle (both directions) are 24 hours - should have their licences taken away.....🤬

• Like 1

• Admin
On 28/01/2024 at 21:26, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

People who say “Absolutely” rather than “Yes”

TV interviewers who ask people how they feel

Adverts in which people smile so widely they almost break their jaws, especially if for life insurance or funeral plans.

No apostrophe after names ending in s, as in the hairdresser near me called ‘Kris’ Barber”

Hugging relative strangers*

Telling relative strangers that you really love them*

[*cf The Traitors]

People who don’t know the difference between ‘infer’ and ‘imply’

People who laugh mockingly about things that happened in ‘the olden days’

Contestants on quiz shows who say they don’t know an answer because ‘they weren’t even born then’.

I could go on…

People who don't know the difference between accepted and excepted.

People who don't know the difference between lone and loan - I was reading a SM post last week that made no sense until I realised, they had the wrong loan in there....

7 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

People who don't know the difference between accepted and excepted.

People who don't know the difference between lone and loan - I was reading a SM post last week that made no sense until I realised, they had the wrong loan in there....

They know the difference in meaning, they just can't spell.

In my experience, the most common misspelling - other than there/their/they're - is loose instead of lose. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

In my experience, the most common misspelling - other than there/their/they're - is loose instead of lose. 

Are you shore about that ?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Bear and bare are two other homonyms that are frequently confused on Otib, as well as NTTDS favourite hoards rather than hordes. 

Source & source ?  

PS: I had them spelt correctly and this forums software obviously corrected it !!!  Says a lot about the problem.

S a u c e & Source

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 1

Just now, PHILINFRANCE said:

So, I was reading this thread and, obviously….

Why, and from where did this habit of starting sentences with ‘So’ and then interspersing them with numerous mentions of ‘Obviously’ originate?

Annoys the living carp out of me

• Like 2

• Admin
1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

I’m not so sure, there does seem to be plenty of illiteracy in this country, quite comical sometimes when you see some SM posts moaning about foreigners and the person posting cannot communicate correctly in their own language.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Slippin cider said:

Idiots who won’t move over to let traffic join motorways from slip roads!!! 
MOVE OVER TO THE MIDDLE LANE YOU MORONS!!!!!! :ranting:

The ones that wind me up more are those that, when you move over to let them out, proceed to sit in your blind spot matching your speed so you can`t get back in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Midred said:

And their "World Series" !

I read ages ago that the ‘World Series’ originated from an American newspaper long out of print called the ‘The New York World’ who I assume must have sponsored the games - hence ‘World Series’

• Thanks 1

One thing that always irritates me is when elderly people whinge and complain about their ailments.

I reached the point that when I’m burdened with elderly peoples health issues  I simply reply by saying “now that you’ve told me all that, do you feel any better?”

They don’t do it again.

• Facepalm 1

38 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I read ages ago that the ‘World Series’ originated from an American newspaper long out of print called the ‘The New York World’ who I assume must have sponsored the games - hence ‘World Series’

That's an urban myth. 

• Thanks 1