IGNORED

16 Points, 13 League Games

Tomo

Manning will go nowhere anytime soon if things don’t go well.

BT and JL will do what they can to justify their position to remove NP and to hire LM. In this case, back him with money to make the signings in order to make it work… all sound familiar?

I’m not convinced by Manning as I’ve stated previously and do feel we will put ourselves in a position come the time we will need an experienced head to come in and steady the ship. Round the track we go ago.

Whatever happens come the end of the season. Fans should not forget what JL and BT have done and stated. Therefore should continue to be accountable for this seasons outcome.

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

25 minutes ago, goalie100 said:

Ridiculously sacked!! If after 30 months he hadn’t moved the club forward how much longer did he need? If by end of may 26 manning hasn’t moved us forward no doubt he will get the same treatment. Be interesting to see where we are this time next year 

I misread your post initially.

NP and for a good period Gould too, absolutely moved us forward.

Value in the squad.⬆️

Sense of morale  spirit and cohesion.⬆️

Average age of the squad.⬇️

Financial position.⬆️

On the pitch position.⬆️

Underlying metrics to underpin results.⬆️

Sense of drift and collapsed morale.⬇️

There maybe the odd duplication in there, or I maybe missing some points but this sums a lot of it up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

I have three concerns.

1. I can't be bothered any more. The games are on at 2am to 4am over here and I have to be up at 7am to take my kid to swimming. I find the games extremely boring to watch under Manning, so I now choose bed instead. I don't bother with Manning's pre/post match either. Again I find them boring.

2. I think the pathway will fall apart. Manning will get to bring his own players in - to prove that he was the right choice - and there'll be less chance for Academy players. I also fear that if it's taking seasoned professionals (and I do think they are good enough / talented professionals) time to adapt, then it will take the Academy longer. When Manning inevitably leaves, we'll lose a generation / class of young talent who aren't suited to the needs of the new manager / coach. I didn't have this concern with Nige as I felt he had a personality that was shifting the whole club on and off grass, so to speak (and I think Tinnion has the personality to do as he's told).

3. The club now seem to be pushing Manning more than the team. A lot of the official comms are now predominately talking and asking about Manning and his principles and philosophies. We're being smothered in soundbites. I was concerned by the Behind the Scenes Scott Twine video too. It literally was just him. Nothing personal against Scott Twine but we are shifting away from an emphasis on team / squad to look at our new head coach and his new players. Regardless of what we individually thought about the overall ability of Nige's squad, I think we pretty much all felt a togetherness and connection and they were working hard for us and the badge.

Other than the first concern, I don't blame Manning. He's been given a very specific role and he's doing it.

The first concern is the big one though. To perform in our current style, in a way that excites, you need elite players playing against elite players. You can get away with it below the Championship as there are a lot of really good players who have, for whatever reason, found themselves at a level lower than their ability. Their ability shines and they look like Barcelona by comparison. The Championship is a brutally contested league where everyone is very good and relatively evenly matched, including the managers. You're not going to break many teams down playing slow, passing football.

Something needs to change if we're going to improve on last year, but Manning seems to have one coaching manual, and he doesn't have the experience yet to know when you've got to do something different.

• Like 15

5 hours ago, Fuber said:

I don't trust them with decision making 

Yet here we are.

It was the wrong time to sack him by every metric especially after throwing him under the bus with the Scott sale.

We had, considering the injury crisis in spite of the loss to Cardiff, a relatively strong position.

NPs only mistake was thinking he could speak his mind or preceding that, that our incompetent leadership would listen.

It's literally Cotts into LJ all over again.

Can't deal with being told their errors by an experienced manager, not actioning said coach's requested recruitment scenarios (Pilling's interference), said experienced coach is sacked after a poor run, then replaced by a malleable younger fashionable 'coach' to do what he's told while having money chucked at the problem so that it looks like such a great idea and that we have such progressive leadership at the club.

This. Board. Doesn't. Learn.

It's like watching someone trying to paint a wall with a spoon. Twice. I need a drink.

You're probably not far wrong, as I said there must have been things we don't know about as otherwise, the sacking made no sense, time will tell whether the right decision was made as you say those up top haven't the best record on decision making.

5 hours ago, maxjak said:

Some posters on here should apply for the UK Moaning Olympic Squad.  So much negativity and blind criticism.  It is sad, from people who call themselves "Supporters"?   13 games compared to Two and a Half years?  I liked NP, but we have a new manager now, who needs our backing, instead of people setting up their own agendas as to why everything is a terrible failure.  Patience young Jedi's, give it some time?  13 Games is No time at all..... and far too soon for so much defeatism.                 

This summer was the first time since Pearson has been here that he had a settled squad. So I think the 2 seasons before of basically fire fighting can be written off. 

Manning has come in and he too like Pearson has had a settled squad but he also has had greater player availability than Pearson.

So therefore Pearsons 14 games and Mannings 13 games this season are directly comparable. 

4 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

So you "apparently" joined in 2006, and this is your first post????

If you couldn't see the progress he made considering the shit squad he inherited, the players that had to go, the wage reduction and the brilliant way he brought through the kids from the academy.....and retained championship status, then maybe, your first post should be your last!

I'm just wondering why after 18 years, did a post about it being a ridiculous sacking, cause them to break their duck. 

It's almost as bizarre as Tinnion posting more on Twitter since he came off Twitter. 

Not that there is any correlation between the two, of course 😉 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 1

Our system, tactics and style of play are being overhauled for long term success, LM cannot just snap his fingers and change our whole approach of playing overnight?.   It needs some time and patience.  The constant comparisons between a manager who had a number of windows to recruit and one who has hardly had one is irrational.  NP was a great bloke who was poorly treated........but he's gone.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

22 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Our system, tactics and style of play are being overhauled for long term success, LM cannot just snap his fingers and change our whole approach of playing overnight?.   It needs some time and patience.  The constant comparisons between a manager who had a number of windows to recruit and one who has hardly had one is irrational.  NP was a great bloke who was poorly treated........but he's gone.

Why did that need to be done? Why should I blindly accept that? There is zero guarantees that tactics and system being overhauled etc will lead to long term success. Why do we have to change to suit Manning? Surely it should be the orher way around?

There is zero appetite from the majority of our fanbase for another rebuild. We've just been through 3 years of that. Manning was hailed as the guy to get the best out of THIS team. 

I do have concerns that if Manning can't get the best out of the current squad which is a decent squad and the best he has ever managed, can he really deliver long term success? 

Other managers go into clubs and can deliver straight away, this was Mannings brief and currently he is failing that brief. 

Of course there will always be comparisons for two reasons, the way Pearson left the club and because there has been no tanglible improvement with better squad availability. In fact it could be argued we have slightly regressed. We're now 6 points off the play offs and that's off of a team that we were above! That's quite a swing. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

29 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I wouldn't mind that if it were indeed that simple.

But what evidence is there to suggest that our system, tactics, and style of play under Manning are more conducive to long term success than under Pearson?

It appears to be a new plan that doesn't have any greater chance of success than the plan we already had.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SydneyCity said:

The club now seem to be pushing Manning more than the team. A lot of the official comms are now predominately talking and asking about Manning and his principles and philosophies. We're being smothered in soundbites.

Good post and just to pick up on this bit.

Earlier on in the thread there was a poster who said they felt LM was “not my coach”, and Fevs mentioned about having a lot of smoke blown that wasn’t warranted and this kind of plays to the same thing.

I can see both sides of the communication piece - the fact is that LM isn’t a “known” quantity as if we’d appointed a Lampard, John Eustace etc and there is a need to get him out there a bit. The trouble there is that LM is, as your first point indicated, quite straight bat and textbook in his quotes. After Saturdays game the clip is again about “emotion” - it’s rinse and repeat, and makes people think they’re in a seminar as opposed to being football fans.

(NB - nothing wrong with it as a communication style, but one of the tricks of “marketing” - as this is - is if your message is a bit boring mix it up. Get Hogg to speak for example. This isn’t on LM, it’s who he is)

Where I don’t think LM is helping himself communication wise is that there is a bit of forcing the connection. The fist pump thing - that’s not him. You can tell immediately he’s not comfortable and is doing it as it’s the done thing - what is him is the phrase of “I’ll ****ing bounce when we win something” (which the club should have kept up as it shows the will to win and was bloody endearing). He's not a man who celebrates a 1-0 win with loads of fist pumping - he’s a man who sees results in an overall process. That pump - like the bounce - comes as part of a natural bond between fans and manager and again, it’s a bit of forcing the issue.

And to be clear, none of this would matter if the football was great and results were better. But there is a bit at the club at the moment of there having been a connection across fans and club which has been broken, and they’re trying to “force” a new connection as opposed to going organically. 

Again, this is a club/comms issue in large part as opposed to LM. And it does appear to be a message - Robins TV payroll Chris Honor being a case in point Saturday - but it’s in a lot of ways better to leave him be to make mistakes, learn and hopefully develop us. All the current comms strategy is doing is putting more pressure on LM.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, maxjak said:

Who said we are changing our whole approach of playing? How do you know that? That is completely at odds to what has been said, and the expectation that Manning will make a promotion push this season. This is a big change, have I missed something? Apologies if I have, but I have not picked up on this big overhaul. Did Tinnion mention it at the senior reds meeting? 

In any case, what approach brings long-term success? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SydneyCity said:

I have three concerns.

1. I can't be bothered any more. The games are on at 2am to 4am over here and I have to be up at 7am to take my kid to swimming. I find the games extremely boring to watch under Manning, so I now choose bed instead. I don't bother with Manning's pre/post match either. Again I find them boring.

2. I think the pathway will fall apart. Manning will get to bring his own players in - to prove that he was the right choice - and there'll be less chance for Academy players. I also fear that if it's taking seasoned professionals (and I do think they are good enough / talented professionals) time to adapt, then it will take the Academy longer. When Manning inevitably leaves, we'll lose a generation / class of young talent who aren't suited to the needs of the new manager / coach. I didn't have this concern with Nige as I felt he had a personality that was shifting the whole club on and off grass, so to speak (and I think Tinnion has the personality to do as he's told).

3. The club now seem to be pushing Manning more than the team. A lot of the official comms are now predominately talking and asking about Manning and his principles and philosophies. We're being smothered in soundbites. I was concerned by the Behind the Scenes Scott Twine video too. It literally was just him. Nothing personal against Scott Twine but we are shifting away from an emphasis on team / squad to look at our new head coach and his new players. Regardless of what we individually thought about the overall ability of Nige's squad, I think we pretty much all felt a togetherness and connection and they were working hard for us and the badge.

Other than the first concern, I don't blame Manning. He's been given a very specific role and he's doing it.

The first concern is the big one though. To perform in our current style, in a way that excites, you need elite players playing against elite players. You can get away with it below the Championship as there are a lot of really good players who have, for whatever reason, found themselves at a level lower than their ability. Their ability shines and they look like Barcelona by comparison. The Championship is a brutally contested league where everyone is very good and relatively evenly matched, including the managers. You're not going to break many teams down playing slow, passing football.

Something needs to change if we're going to improve on last year, but Manning seems to have one coaching manual, and he doesn't have the experience yet to know when you've got to do something different.

Thanks for writing this - saved me a huge amount of bother. And makes a large amount of sense at the same time.

It goes all the way back to Steve Lansdown and his total lack of any ****** idea what the strategy is for this club. Cyclical Steve. We'll never get promoted with him owning the club.

I may live to regret writing that ⬆️⬆️⬆️, but I just don't see the plan. If Manning gets us promoted it will be through a massive slice of luck (IMHO) rather than a calculated piece of strategic development and growth of this football club.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

Who said we are changing our whole approach of playing? How do you know that? That is completely at odds to what has been said, and the expectation that Manning will make a promotion push this season. This is a big change, have I missed something? Apologies if I have, but I have not picked up on this big overhaul. Did Tinnion mention it at the senior reds meeting? 

In any case, what approach brings long-term success? 

If i knew what brought long term football success i would be manager  of Manchester City?   Of course there are no guarantees, but LM is attempting to bring long term success with his approach and tactics, whether he succeeds, we will have to see?   If you have not seen any difference in our set up   approach, and tactics since Manning came in, and took over from NP then I Am not sure what you have been  watching.  As regards overhaul, until there is a summer window.....he can't really overhaul our playing staff yet?

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Why did that need to be done? Why should I blindly accept that? There is zero guarantees that tactics and system being overhauled etc will lead to long term success. Why do we have to change to suit Manning? Surely it should be the orher way around?

There is zero appetite from the majority of our fanbase for another rebuild. We've just been through 3 years of that. Manning was hailed as the guy to get the best out of THIS team. 

I do have concerns that if Manning can't get the best out of the current squad which is a decent squad and the best he has ever managed, can he really deliver long term success? 

Other managers go into clubs and can deliver straight away, this was Mannings brief and currently he is failing that brief. 

Of course there will always be comparisons for two reasons, the way Pearson left the club and because there has been no tanglible improvement with better squad availability. In fact it could be argued we have slightly regressed. We're now 6 points off the play offs and that's off of a team that we were above! That's quite a swing. 

You don't have to blindly accept anything? , but i try to support my team whoever the manager is?  Of course there are no guarantees of success, what ever you or anyone else thinks of NP, we were 15th in the table when he left.  I thought NP did a great job in clearing out the deadwood and sorting out our finances, and i would have been happy for him to stay.   But he is not coming back, so i will give LM  a chance, and not constantly moan about things....and personally i believe that after 13 games, it is too early to judge.     Instead  of constantly criticising, I prefer to watch some great football, like last Tuesday, and give the guy a chance?

8 hours ago, maxjak said:

As a few others have said, the appointment of Manning wasn’t to undertake an overhaul…where have you got that from?  It was to build upon what was here, and improve what was here by “coaching on the grass”.  If you hold that belief, then that’s your interpretation and not what was said, and I’m not talking about the “top 6” type comments, which were wrong.  

Tinnion even commented that recruitment would continue along the path of what they had been working to for the past two years.  There was nothing wrong with the players.  Tinnion said the fans were more than happy with recruitment.  We were.  He wasn’t suggesting ripping it up

Will players come and go?  Yes, that’s natural, but not an overhaul.

So, Manning should be starting to see his methods playing out on the pitch.  Will his on the grass coaching be completely ingrained yet?  Nope, but these aren’t hoofball merchants suddenly being asked to play a completely different way.  They are modern players who have been groomed in academies, they have been taught the basics.  Manning should be fine-tuning.

Nigel Pearson didn’t have 5 windows to recruit what he wanted, he had 4 windows of wheeling and dealing, compromising to keep a competitive squad on a dwindling budget.  This summer was his first window of trying to get players to fit what he really wanted.  Even then he was constrained.

And he left Manning with a good squad to push-on.  That is the key point.  This wasn’t a 2-3 year rebuild.

Manning has come in and done ok, but as it stands we are slipping a bit further away from where we were trending.  That can be recovered though.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, maxjak said:

If i knew what brought long term football success i would be manager  of Manchester City?   Of course there are no guarantees, but LM is attempting to bring long term success with his approach and tactics, whether he succeeds, we will have to see?   If you have not seen any difference in our set up   approach, and tactics since Manning came in, and took over from NP then I Am not sure what you have been  watching.  As regards overhaul, until there is a summer window.....he can't really overhaul our playing staff yet?

Change in the process / way of playing….yes, but what change it outcomes (so far)?

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As a few others have said, the appointment of Manning wasn’t to undertake an overhaul…where have you got that from?  It was to build upon what was here, and improve what was here by “coaching on the grass”.  If you hold that belief, then that’s your interpretation and not what was said, and I’m not talking about the “top 6” type comments, which were wrong.  

Tinnion even commented that recruitment would continue along the path of what they had been working to for the past two years.  There was nothing wrong with the players.  Tinnion said the fans were more than happy with recruitment.  We were.  He wasn’t suggesting ripping it up

Will players come and go?  Yes, that’s natural, but not an overhaul.

So, Manning should be starting to see his methods playing out on the pitch.  Will his on the grass coaching be completely ingrained yet?  Nope, but these aren’t hoofball merchants suddenly being asked to play a completely different way.  They are modern players who have been groomed in academies, they have been taught the basics.  Manning should be fine-tuning.

Nigel Pearson didn’t have 5 windows to recruit what he wanted, he had 4 windows of wheeling and dealing, compromising to keep a competitive squad on a dwindling budget.  This summer was his first window of trying to get players to fit what he really wanted.  Even then he was constrained.

And he left Manning with a good squad to push-on.  That is the key point.  This wasn’t a 2-3 year rebuild.

Manning has come in and done ok, but as it stands we are slipping a bit further away from where we were trending.  That can be recovered though.

Yes a good squad, that was sitting 15th, BUT he did have major injury issues.   I meant more of a tactical overhaul, and not changing the playing staff? , but i do see a number of players leaving in the summer., and players that he prefers coming in.   I just believe that Manning is being criticised by a lot of posters, when more patience needs to be shown?   My assessment of him will come in March/April.  As you state at the end......"Can be recovered though ".....I think it will get better given more time and patience, and as the cliche goes.........I see a half full glass and not a half empty one?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SydneyCity said:

We're being smothered in soundbites.

Amen Brother........a technique often used by people when they don't have a clue what they are doing. Talk the Talk and worry about not walking the walk months down the line after everyone has (hopefully) forgotten what you said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Yes a good squad, that was sitting 15th, BUT he did have major injury issues.   I meant more of a tactical overhaul, and not changing the playing staff? , but i do see a number of players leaving in the summer., and players that he prefers coming in.   I just believe that Manning is being criticised by a lot of posters, when more patience needs to be shown?   My assessment of him will come in March/April.  As you state at the end......"Can be recovered though ".....I think it will get better given more time and patience, and as the cliche goes.........I see a half full glass and not a half empty one?

I see the vast majority of criticism being levelled at Lansdown jnr and Tinnion tbh.

Manning is hardly being hammered by the fanbase from my perspective. Some find the passing a bore and some rightly point to him not reacting when other managers have made tactical changes.

He shouldnt be immune from such observations.

• Like 6

On 21/01/2024 at 09:12, Sir Geoff said:

15 goals scored. 7 of those in 2 games.

It's not many goals, is it. Not a lot of "action," not in the opposition's penalty area. I notice that Plymouth, newly promoted Plymouth, have scored twice as many as us at home. You might expect Leicester or Leeds to score that many more than us, but Plymouth? Perhaps Preston and Millwall get all the way down to Devon and the sea air goes to their heads and they "bomb" forward with gaya abandon, like they never do here. I don't know.

But dear me - to borrow from another thread - how bleedin hard is it (for us) to score goals?

And it's not just Manning, it has been four or five seasons of largely dour football served up at Ashton Gate. It's a wonder the attendances continue to be around 20,000. In previous times, crowds would've dropped off significantly given such poor standard of attacking football. 

• Like 2

Plymouth are just fairly enterprising full stop, at home especially.

They probably aren't built certainly weren't under Schumacher to stifle and sit so they just go for it.

Some changes via loan recalls and replacements but this season I imagine their ethos will remain similar...they are open at both ends and on the road In particular can concede an awful lot of chances and at times goals.

Plymouth are some outlier, not just va us they're outscoring at home but a lot of the division I would guess.

Rowett came, saw and stifled- it finished Plymouth 0 Millwall 2 in Autumn.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

For the benefit of @Bristol Oil Services

They are the top home scorers in the division to date.

Score a lot, concede a lot. Home Park is a bit of a fortress.

Screenshot_20240122-150944_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f4a8048a069ff58fd6958d6d76ba12c0.jpgScreenshot_20240122-150950_Chrome.thumb.jpg.314a5bdbb6af0de45a00e34925dfef6e.jpg

Not just us they're outscoring its pretty much everyone.

Yes, every week they appear to be having a lively game at Home Park, and few problems finding the back of the net, or creating opportunities. Maybe it'll be different next season. You just wonder how we find creating opportunities and putting them away so difficult given we have been at this level for years.

5 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Yes, every week they appear to be having a lively game at Home Park, and few problems finding the back of the net, or creating opportunities. Maybe it'll be different next season. You just wonder how we find creating opportunities and putting them away so difficult given we have been at this level for years.

It's the whole division they're outscoring at home. An outlier?

24 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's the whole division they're outscoring at home. An outlier?

They have the 2nd hottest attack in the league (goals v xG).  They are scoring 9.14 goals more than their xG!

xG for: 38.86 (scored 46)

xG against: 46.05 (conceded 43)

(non-pens in all cases)

• Thanks 1

Well. If we’re looking at home records. 
This season :

Nige

Played 7, Won 2, Drawn 3, Lost 3. GF 9, GA 9, Points 9

Liam

Played 6, Won 3, Drawn 1, Lost 2. GF 9, GA 8, Points 10. 

So, in 1 less game, LM has won 1 more game, has 1 more point and scored the same number of goals. So Liam has more points and has a game in hand. 

Thats an improvement in home form. And for me, it’s the home form that is the most important and has been the problem we’ve had for 5 years! 
If we can start to get the home form on the up then we’re going on the right direction. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Harry said:

Well. If we’re looking at home records. 
This season :

Nige

Played 7, Won 2, Drawn 3, Lost 3. GF 9, GA 9, Points 9

Liam

Played 6, Won 3, Drawn 1, Lost 2. GF 9, GA 8, Points 10. 

So, in 1 less game, LM has won 1 more game, has 1 more point and scored the same number of goals. So Liam has more points and has a game in hand. 

Thats an improvement in home form. And for me, it’s the home form that is the most important and has been the problem we’ve had for 5 years! 
If we can start to get the home form on the up then we’re going on the right direction. 

Oh and also. 
In the home games this season. 
Since Liam’s arrival :

Shots are up 9% (average per game 10.71 to 11.67)
Shots on target are up 40% (average per game 3.43 to 4.83)

The Home form is definitely going in the right direction so far. 

Edited by Harry

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Does player availability play a role too.

Think the home games v West Brom, Plymouth and Stoke scored well for underlying metrics too..notably shot data.

Not a huge difference in key player availability to be honest. 
In Nigel’s 7 home games, Conway missed 3, Wells missed 2. 
In Liam’s 6 home games, Wells missed 3, Sykes missed 2. 

That aside, they’ve fielded pretty much the same teams. 
Mehmeti instead of Yeboah is pretty much the only major difference in regular players. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

Not a huge difference in key player availability to be honest. 
In Nigel’s 7 home games, Conway missed 3, Wells missed 2. 
In Liam’s 6 home games, Wells missed 3, Sykes missed 2. 

That aside, they’ve fielded pretty much the same teams. 
Mehmeti instead of Yeboah is pretty much the only major difference in regular players. 

Alright kid? I don't care about shots, possession, home or away statistics. I look at PPG and we are achieving less atm.

Fingers crossed, that improves bud.