IGNORED

Manning in

Curr Avon

17 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Despite supposedly losing the dressing room, being out of his depth, and boring I'd say our manager deserves a lot of credit for today's excellent victory against Premier League bound Leicester.

Although I expect several of you to disagree.

And FBC isn't knee jerk. Ok

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, TV Tom said:

The vast majority of games in the last five years have been well below standard, Mannings had five months and his tenure is going from the sublime to the ridiculous and back again, as usual, it’s more consistency that’s needed because when we are good we are good and when we are bad we are very bad

Because we have someone ****ing 'learning on the job'.

Again.

Yesterday, I thought we were realistically about as 'on it' as we could have been, which, compared to the horrible efforts we've dialled in recently, was a relief more than anything.

Yes, Leicester had some great opportunities that Max dealt with (including a shocker of his own devising) but I thought we gave them a game and I don't think, when they factor in our penalty shouts, they can complain about it too much - that's football.

However, when push comes to shove, this performance (and result) is something we've already shown we can do; going toe-to-toe with a team with financial advantages over us and getting something out of it while playing to the strengths we have developed over the last couple of seasons.

Ultimately, the only reasonable metric I can hold LM to, bearing in mind the position we were in when he arrived, is to get us performing and stop us being so passive and/or toothless against teams that we should be better than, that we should be looking to take 3 points from. 

I get it, consistency of performance (let alone result) is a difficult task in The Championship, especially with what feels like our abysmal injury record, but Monday is another opportunity to show me that he has something and can genuinely make a difference.

Edited by awbb
Clarity
  • Like 6

Me and the boy enjoyed the game yesterday.  Like many on here have said, we were at them from the start, showing a level of intent that has been missing in recent games. 

We were surprised that Vardy couldn’t hit a cows arse with a banjo, and equally surprised when Anis scored that belter (really glad for him - want him to kick on and do well). 

After the game, as we were exiting the south stand, a lone supporter was chanting ‘Liam Mannings Cider Army’…..not surprised at all that it didn’t catch on…..as my boy (aged 13) pointed out “most folk just aren’t there yet!”

• Like 2

Lest we forget...

We produced an excellent performance away to Watford, followed by a series of dire performances and awful results.

We produced an excellent performance home to Southampton, followed by a series of dire performances and awful results.

We produced an excellent performance yesterday against Leicester, followed by ......    tbc 

Let's see if Manning has learnt anything from what happened after those Watford and Southampton games, before we start thinking he might not be totally out of his depth!

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

11 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

This place is crazy. One win doesn’t change the fact he has been incredibly poor since being appointed. Today was good and if it carries on then brilliant, but we need consistency and we’ve been here before. Always expected us to win today, we always do in these types of games. 

We certainly don’t usually do well against top teams particularly a team as good as Leicester.

We’ve been poor in some games, average in others and very good in some, very much Bristol City of the last six years, the only difference for me is that we have played our good games against top sides which hasn’t been the norm over the years

• Like 1

This terrific win will keep Manning here until next season. Is he the right man for the job…. No in my opinion but I don’t know if that’s because I don’t warm to him. What I found refreshing about Pearson when we had all the injuries his response is it is what it is… we go with what we got etc. Manning blames injuries / lack of time on the grass. Comes across has pathetic in all honesty.

You could argue that the games that we have won under Manning the players have needed no motivation but the games the players do it doesn’t seem to be there. Mannings subs against a park the bus team also seems to be like for like. For example how often has Conway and Wells been played up top together. They struck a good partnership under Pearson. I’m not talking about them being in the same team and one being played out of position out wide like the Leeds game but actually up front together as a two.

With a full pre-season for Manning lack of time grass excuse what have gone. 

Next season if we continue to play one up it’s imperative that Tinnion sticks to his word and brings in a striker who can play up top on his own. Conway 1 league goal in 2024 just isn’t good enough and he isn’t strong enough to play there at the moment.

It was also great to see Knight playing deeper as he has been out of position for months. When Twine goes back to Burnley it is vital that this position is recruited. If James is also not kept on we will struggle to replace someone that good.

I still feel we have a good squad we just lack that killer instinct.

• Like 1

The players were certainly up for it. As they were the last two times they’ve been on sky. Can manning get them up for it away from the cameras?  I’m not Manning Out yet as may as well give him time. But a lot will depend on the next 15-20 games, taking us into next season 

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Like 1

All this, Manning In, Manning Out = Manning is Staying!

Mark @Curr Avon don't get too happy clappy though. Like Southampton, yesterday is just 1 game. 

I read in another topic that since Liam came in, he's attained 29 points from 24 games, so the squad are performing at mid table levels like we have done all season.

That is where the current squad are. They will win some, lose more and get the odd draw. Simples.

10 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Lest we forget...

We produced an excellent performance away to Watford, followed by a series of dire performances and awful results.

We produced an excellent performance home to Southampton, followed by a series of dire performances and awful results.

We produced an excellent performance yesterday against Leicester, followed by ......    tbc 

Let's see if Manning has learnt anything from what happened after those Watford and Southampton games, before we start thinking he might not be totally out of his depth!

We won’t have long to wait, as Plymouth could certainly provide a different test.

Big credit to Manning and the team for a really bright performance yesterday.   What baffles me is how they could play with such intensity and determination yesterday and yet that’s been totally lacking in the previous few games.  If we could get some consistancy in that area, we would probably see a big upturn in results.

Cue a sluggish, downbeat performance at Plymouth, to leave us all baffled and frustrated again!!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I’m sure we’re all very happy with the win which puts us pretty much out of danger especially against a team that’s full of former PL players. 

The Foxes missed at least 3 golden opportunities with Vardy being the main culprit and the one gifted to him after a defensive error was incredible that he didn’t bury it. Should City give up chances like those at Home Park we definitely won’t dodge a bullet again.

That said - City had two stonewall penalties denied and it’s remarkable that the Conway incident wasn’t given considering that the referee had a perfect view. As for Dickie getting wrestled to the ground that was a more difficult to award especially as things like that occur at virtually every corner.

I’d have been satisfied if the game had been a 2-2 draw but obviously delighted with a (albeit a fortunate) clean sheet and the victory.

Yeah I get that. A draw wouldn't have been a travesty and Vardy missed some big chances but we had some big ones of our own other than the goal. The one if not two penalties of course.

One of theirs was hugely self-inflicted, ie a rare rare judgment on the day by Max. Fortunately they couldn't capitalise.

The two Vardy ones that flew wide well there was the Hermansen double save first half (that's one) and the Mehmeti near miss.

I can see a case for a high scoring draw too.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah I get that. A draw wouldn't have been a travesty and Vardy missed some big chances but we had some big ones of our own other than the goal. The one if not two penalties of course.

One of theirs was hugely self-inflicted, ie a rare rare judgment on the day by Max. Fortunately they couldn't capitalise.

The two Vardy ones that flew wide well there was the Hermansen double save first half (that's one) and the Mehmeti near miss.

I can see a case for a high scoring draw too.

Margins innit? If we look back to the hallowed Southampton game as well as we played what is forgotten is that at 0-0 at the start of the second half they should have scored and then it’s a different game.

I think @Harry posted the xG from yesterday on another thread and Leicester posted high numbers - ultimately it doesn’t matter as only one stat counts but their chances were certainly better than ours, and you’d have put a fair wedge on Vardy finishing at least one of the four chances - particularly the two second half. Again, both of those were pre our goal and ball goes in, different game.

Avoidance of doubt I’d have been happy with yesterday even with a high scoring draw or a narrow defeat as the performance itself was a step up. One of the issues recently is that we’ve not only been losing, but we’ve been losing without a performance. I’ve long said that with not going up or down the latter piece is far more important, or, to coin a phrase, the biggest bit…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BrizzleRed said:

We won’t have long to wait, as Plymouth could certainly provide a different test.

Big credit to Manning and the team for a really bright performance yesterday.   What baffles me is how they could play with such intensity and determination yesterday and yet that’s been totally lacking in the previous few games.  If we could get some consistancy in that area, we would probably see a big upturn in results.

Cue a sluggish, downbeat performance at Plymouth, to leave us all baffled and frustrated again!!!

Easy they put themselves in the shop window manning doesn't need to do anything to motive them in big games. Unfortunately this club and the way it is only performs against better teams(Cup games and Southampton 😂). Unless we get the club performing in EVERY game then we won't get to where we want to be. It says everything about the club perform on the cameras to make us look good. It's becoming tiresome as I've said before. People only take notice of these games and not the bigger picture.

Edited by Street red
  • Like 1

It was a good win against a poor Leicester team. Nothing to get carried away with and the next few games will be an opportunity that we can hopefully make the most of this time to kick on a little bit

19 hours ago, cityexile said:

Our players seem to enjoy playing against better teams and this is now a run of better performances against them.

19 hours ago, Slack said:

Let's see how we play against a team that's lower in the league.. strange to say but these kind of games seem to be easier for us 

18 hours ago, George Rs said:

He can set us up to beat teams at the top end of the division.

18 hours ago, Capman said:

This squad has constantly proved itself against good teams.

10 minutes ago, Street red said:

manning doesn't need to do anything to motive them in big games. Unfortunately this club and the way it is only performs against better teams.

Ahem

AA07D441-15D0-466E-AAB4-D871F3A83FAC.thumb.jpeg.a53a19744a38f91e85dada922900d1cb.jpeg

First 4 were NP but still. After yesterday (this was flashed up by Sky before the game) Manning is W2 L5 vs the top 6, and as a club we’re W2 D1 L8 vs the top 6. Which is where you’d expect mid table to be, nicking the odd result.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

6 minutes ago, Olé said:

Ahem

AA07D441-15D0-466E-AAB4-D871F3A83FAC.thumb.jpeg.a53a19744a38f91e85dada922900d1cb.jpeg

First 4 were NP but still. After yesterday (this was flashed up by Sky before the game) Manning is W2 L5 vs the top 6, and as a club we’re W2 D1 L8 vs the top 6. Which is where you’d expect mid table to be, nicking the odd result.

Facts. You bastard.

• Robin 1

19 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Despite supposedly losing the dressing room, being out of his depth, and boring I'd say our manager deserves a lot of credit for today's excellent victory against Premier League bound Leicester.

Although I expect several of you to disagree.

If promotion is the aim, why have we appointed a manager who can't beat teams below us in the league?

How do the geniuses running our club square that circle?

Perhaps they could also explain why they've appointed a manager so boring people are staying away in their droves? Empty seats for all to see.

And let's not hear "Oh but it was Mothers Day", "Oh but it was Easter". That's pathetic gAsshole sh1te.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Marv Smyth said:

After the game, as we were exiting the south stand, a lone supporter was chanting ‘Liam Mannings Cider Army’…..not surprised at all that it didn’t catch on…..as my boy (aged 13) pointed out “most folk just aren’t there yet!”

Yeh, I saw Tinnion doing that chant too.

I told him the disguise was crap.

The “Remember Southampton” T-shirt was a dead giveaway.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roe said:

It was a good win against a poor Leicester team. Nothing to get carried away with and the next few games will be an opportunity that we can hopefully make the most of this time to kick on a little bit

They weren’t that poor Roe - they created some very decent opportunities but a combination of Max and woeful finishing denied them. They’ve only got themselves to blame.

2 hours ago, transfer reader said:

Hmm, you've done everything you can not to, or to diminish it.

Context. It's just context. 

Every result should be seen in context. No result stands alone as proof of anything.

I'll try and place a loss that's undeserved within its context, just as I will a win that comes due to an unusually perfect storm.

I'm not kneejerking at all btw.

I posted weeks ago that I could see us beating Leicester - which isn't me trying to crow or be cocky - it's just a demonstration of the fact that I considered the context of this match both before and after it.

Edited by ExiledAjax

20 hours ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Enjoy the result and performance. A lot of the things said today were said after Southampton and looks how it went after.

He got it right today and fair enough to him, the staff and the team. Now try break down a team who sits in and see how the response is on here.

Going to keep going in circles if you get too high and defensive after every win against a big team. From the 25 odd games he's been here, in my opinion he hasn't showed enough.

We're good when we are the counter attacking team and a team gives us space to work in, let's see if you say the same after struggling against a team who sit in.

The one thing I’ll say to that is breaking down teams that sit in has been an issue for years. Yes the manager needs to find a way to move the ball quicker (looks like we did that this week in a clip I saw of training) but the squad is very much set up as a counter attacking side. I’m behind Manning though and hopefully he gets a pre season where he can put his stamp on things and we see performances improve as a whole

15 hours ago, mozo said:

Did Nige play tactics like today or are you just basing it on possession?

Today, literally was Niges tactics. Press high, punish mistakes and turn the ball over in their half. Quick start, high intensity, bravery.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

I think when the season's over and we can reflect it will be clear that the squad was not as good as last season, very difficult to replace the likes of Scott and Semenyo effectively, so if we end up with more than the 59 points we got then it will be a reasonable result.

Yep, we've essentially replaced Scott with Knight, and Semenyo with Mehmeti. We've also got rid of Weimann and won't replace him til the summer. 

Had we not had persistent injury problems all season, we probably couldn't have sacked Nige, and/or Manning would be doing better.

But it's a imbalanced, inconsistent squad.

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

All this, Manning In, Manning Out = Manning is Staying!

Mark @Curr Avon don't get too happy clappy though. Like Southampton, yesterday is just 1 game. 

I read in another topic that since Liam came in, he's attained 29 points from 24 games, so the squad are performing at mid table levels like we have done all season.

That is where the current squad are. They will win some, lose more and get the odd draw. Simples.

If Manning had managed just 3 points at this stage (let say we held on to beat Cov and held on to draw v Ipswich), then we'd be pushing top 10 and you can't grumble with that. Fine margins. Now he needs to find that extra 3 points somewhere else.

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

If promotion is the aim, why have we appointed a manager who can't beat teams below us in the league?

How do the geniuses running our club square that circle?

They appointed a manager with a 40% + win record at all his previous clubs, so the scenario you've described is a bit bizarre.

36 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Context. It's just context. 

Every result should be seen in context. No result stands alone as proof of anything.

I'll try and place a loss that's undeserved within its context, just as I will a win that comes due to an unusually perfect storm.

I'm not kneejerking at all btw.

I posted weeks ago that I could see us beating Leicester - which isn't me trying to crow or be cocky - it's just a demonstration of the fact that I considered the context of this match both before and after it.

So the win needs the context of Vardy missing chances, but not Conway and Mehmeti missing chances?

It needs context of some nonsense involving the Leicester Women's team having a bit of drama but not us being denied two blatant penalties?

Leicester being in poor form, but not us being in worse form.

Seems the context you're providing is more than a bit one sided.

Edited by transfer reader