IGNORED

LUKE! / Cheltenham

Bristol Rob

2 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

FFS, naïve about what, exactly? Do you want to re-read my posts. The two lads have been complete *****s, it's disgusting. You prove to me that Ayling, or any of the other City lads, have done anything wrong and I'll become as sanctimonious as you. I don't doubt the club will be pissed off, but why? Ayling is getting slaughtered for being stood by two idiots - that wasn't an offence, or naïve, or having your head in the clouds, last time I looked. You must be knackered come the end of day, upholding everyone's moral judgement on their behalf

There's far bigger things in life to worry about than who Luke Ayling knocks around with at a horse racing festival. It's not something I'm going to lose any sleep over, I'll let you do that for me

Again, I'm not getting your point, Es

:facepalm:For the second time, I don't give a shit about the incident.  I was looking at it from the clubs perspective.

And nobody is 'slaughtering' Ayling from what I have seen.  Only people agreeing that the club is right to have a word with him and the other players so they know how important it is that it doesn't happen again.

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

You seem to be suggesting that his 'apparent' drunken state is in some way a defence.

Not a defence, just saying it how I see it

You choose 'indignance' as your way of further castigating the bloke, but that's ok?

Right...

Did Luke Ayling get his 'Johnson' (see what I did there?) and pee in a pint glass?

No. That was allegedly a player from MK Dons.

Did Luke Ayling tip the piss pot over the edge?

No. That was allegedly a player from Northampton Town. 

Was Luke Ayling under the influence of alcohol?

Unknown. He has a glass in his hand in one of the photos but the contents are unknown.

Were the other City players there under the influence of alcohol?

Possible. Marlon Pack is pictured with a bottle of beer in his hand. Other players unknown.

Were ANY of the City players in a state of inebriation/drunk from EXCESSIVE alcohol consumption?

Unknown. Impossible to tell from photographs.

Was Luke Ayling aware of the incidents?

Unknown. No pictures (that I've seen) show Luke actually observing said behaviours. In all photos I've seen, he is looking in another direction, even if in close proximity to said incidents.

So what's the end result? Some people will say 'they're lads, having a beer and letting their hair down', others will say 'vile behaviour, fined and sacked'.

From the club perspective, it appears Luke may or may not have been aware of what his friends were doing. He didn't take part in either incident.

However, a simple statement from Luke, not necessarily apologising as he isn't pictured as being involved, but condoning the actions may go some way towards fixing the bad press. The club could also release a statement explaining that they too condone the incidents and also explain the club policy on alcohol consumption.

2 hours ago, frenchred said:

Ah another witch hunt! I would suggest the players have more important things to do at easter, like keeping us in this division? Or does it not matter as long as they kick a few balls around Ashton park with the kids?

I don't think there are any games for us at Easter, due to the International break!

33 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Which race is this filly running in? Can't even jump a ***** fence, so can't see this one winning. 

I think someone ought to give her a carrot meself.

Judging by the self satisfied smile on her face, I think someone already has. :shocking:

1 minute ago, Collis1 said:

:facepalm:For the second time, I don't give a shit about the incident.  I was looking at it from the clubs perspective.

And nobody is 'slaughtering' Ayling from what I have seen.  Only people agreeing that the club is right to have a word with him and the other players so they know how important it is that it doesn't happen again.

No one is slaughtering Ayling? You've missed large swathes of this thread then, suggest you catch up

It's only one or two though, may take some finding.....some people haven't had anything to moan about after the Fulham game

I don't think anyone is suggesting the club doesn't have a quiet word with the lads involved. My point is that they have done nothing wrong, that we are aware of

2 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Not a defence, just saying it how I see it

You choose 'indignance' as your way of further castigating the bloke, but that's ok?

He could and should have walked away and he didn't and that is his error of judgement and one he has to answer to his employers for, impaired no doubt by his alcohol intake but that is no excuse or all drink drivers would use it as their defence.

I am castigating nobody but in life people have to make choices and sometimes those choices are rightfully called into question and this is one of those occasions, it is a poor advertisement for the club and a distraction I am sure LJ could have done without before another big game on Saturday, I suspect LJ knew of their excursion and probably hoped and expected and even told them to act responsibly and that has not happened.

1 hour ago, Collis1 said:

Oh dear. The naivety of people saying its no big deal is staggering...

Bristol City's name has rightly or wrongly been dragged through the mud this morning in probably the most read newspapers and media outlets in the country.  While it might seem funny or just 'banter' to us immediate fans, the problem the club has is that this would have been read by neutrals, Bristol residents, sponsors, potential sponsors, the FA etc.  Its not often Bristol City gets much national media attention so the fact that it is in a bad light will mean that Lansdown, the manager and board will be quite rightly fuming.

Whether or not our players were to blame for anything they were there and Ayling's face is all over the pictures laughing which in my book makes him involved.  Whilst I don't think any of them should have wages docked or anything that severe they need a stern talking and to be warned that this kind of attention is not acceptable. 

Anyway, hopefully the next time Bristol City FC is mentioned on the front page of a national newspaper it will be a more positive story.

As much as you say people are being naive, I do think your post is an equal over reaction. I agree with a lot of what you write, but to say Bristol City's name has been 'dragged through the mud' and it's all over the front pages is slightly over dramatic.

I googled "Bristol City players Cheltenham" what appears are articles in the EP, Sun and Mail (well respected newspapers) and a reference in a Telegraph article saying 'Bristol City players were in attendance'. They all talk focus and title about the MK dons guy.

Of course it's bad to even be associated, but a bit a perspective is needed. 

This is not headline news, this is not going to be on TV to a wider non-football public.

As I've said before Ayling is not pictured doing anything 'wrong' and is not guilty by association.

If people think footballers should be wrapped up inside only to leave home to train or play, well that's a whole other, complicated debate.

3 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

He could and should have walked away and he didn't and that is his error of judgement and one he has to answer to his employers for, impaired no doubt by his alcohol intake but that is no excuse or all drink drivers would use it as their defence.

I am castigating nobody but in life people have to make choices and sometimes those choices are rightfully called into question and this is one of those occasions, it is a poor advertisement for the club and a distraction I am sure LJ could have done without before another big game on Saturday, I suspect LJ knew of their excursion and probably hoped and expected and even told them to act responsibly and that has not happened.

Look, we could argue about this all day, but I suspect people are getting bored

My last word on this, Ayling has done nothing wrong. He was stood by a pissed up **** when he done something disgusting. That doesn't make him a bad guy in my eyes. If he was a foot to either side or has his back to the bloke, there is no issue

Drinking in private or in spare time if it does not affect the 'work' is their business. Glad they are having a good time.

It is only their poor choice of friends with the Franchise 'scum' bags that is a worry and they have proven, it seems with this episode, how classless they are.

Assuming the presumption is correct the idiot should be fined and forced to apologise.

3 minutes ago, BA1 said:

Another fan who saw the antics during the last race of the day, the Close Brothers Novices Handicap Chase, said: "The men were exposing themselves and p***ing in full view.

"It was lucky no one was underneath them when they tossed it away. They should be banned from course and fined for indecent exposure."

Not seen that confirmed before; the impression given was that were pouring it on the heads of racegoers.

Ayling can't be blamed for doing anything based on those pictures but the bottom line is the clubs reputation has been damaged due to him being there. About the only thing Ayling should have done is walked away when his mate starting pissing in a glass instead of laughing at it. It's poor decision making in the circumstances and he must have been aware that there would be press there so in the future he needs to think how his actions reflect on the club. Now he never actually did anything wrong, so sacked would just be stupid, however the club does need to ensure he didn't do anything stupid and then release a statement saying so. He also needs to condemn the actions of his peers and apologise for not walking away, not that he should have to but for the sake of the clubs reputation. 
Most people will just see this as a stupid thing that happened but Bristol City is in the middle of a very big rebuild and they need corporate support and a lot of companies will shy away when they see things such as this.

1 hour ago, bris red said:

44 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

It's even worse than I thought - the players shit into a glass and chucked it over the balcony!

25 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Not sure how 'man pisses in cup at racecourse' has become a news story

Would be if he did from 20 feet away! 

I'm surprised by all these 'negative publicity' comments. Do I think it harks negatively on MK Dons or on Northampton? No, the clubs are frankly an irrelevance: individuals act and individuals get sanctioned when individuals act like nobheads in their own private time. Yes the club might want to have a word, yes it's disappointing if any of our players have acted out of line, but why does it reflect on the club? It only does if the club condones it, otherwise the clubs' names are mearly word-count fillers.

44 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Is this what constitutes a 'model' these days.... absolute states.

Not sure how 'man pisses in cup at racecourse' has become a news story

Not read hardly any of this thread so apologies if it's been mentioned but yes you are right and what was she doing smoking, surely as football stadiums are it's all non smoking???

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

However, a simple statement from Luke, not necessarily apologising as he isn't pictured as being involved, but condoning the actions may go some way towards fixing the bad press. The club could also release a statement explaining that they too condone the incidents and also explain the club policy on alcohol consumption.

I'm sure you meant that Luke and the club don't condone the actions?

Archived