IGNORED

Jason Knight signed from Derby - Confirmed

Bat Fastard

42 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

There are loads and loads of variables in putting together a transfer deal, not all of which can be agreed to in the space of a phone call. 

Obviously we will be aware of what we have available, but we might need to go back to the accountants to understand the consequences of structuring a deal a particular way. Let's not forget the club we are negotiating with here, they're not exactly famed for their ability to do business in the correct way...

We might well have a few other irons in the fire that mean we have no need or desire to rush through a deal. 

Not one of us knows, weird to get impatient about a transfer deal when the window opened a couple of days ago. The idea any transfer has ever been completed after one phonecall is funny. Real life football isn't FM... 

Really? Well **** me.

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I struggle with this. 

The selling club will set a price during the early stages of the negotiation. 

I don’t believe we would make 2 bids without the intention of getting close or matching said price. 

I would expect a fee to be agreed with the next bid submitted.

Not so sure it’s any different than selling your house in that you have a value when you put it on the market. In most cases the vendor will have a figure in their head that they will drop to.  It may take multiple offers to identify that.  Not sure as a buyer in housing or football why you’d over pay.  

If you’ve already bid twice for a player, imo that means he’s top of the list, or at least you really want him. There’s no rumours of any other CMs we’re interested in, in the press anyway. 

I think it’s no coincidence that Wilson to Bolton breaks the same day, only 2 hours later that 2x bids for Knight have been rejected. 

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

If I understand correctly Knight is best known for running about a lot and not having a particular position that he excels in. I suspect there are other players who are similar, better even , if Derby and City can’t agree on the fee. 

He’s essentially a mix of a championship Mason Mount and Korey Smith regen. I don’t think there’s many around. Fits what we want perfectly. 

• Hmmm 1

11 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

If I understand correctly Knight is best known for running about a lot and not having a particular position that he excels in. I suspect there are other players who are similar, better even , if Derby and City can’t agree on the fee. 

Or - he’s a really busy player, and can excel in multiple positions.

Not aimed at you Major, but I’m getting a bit fed up with the mantra that versatile means not good enough in any position.

I suspect the “fact” that we are putting bids in suggests there aren’t similar, better available…and he’s our current “best on the list”.  That list might be very short.

2 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Given that Derby have decided to leak the offer info, wouldn't our normal stance be to walk away out of principle? Or have we walked away, and Derby are trying to signpost what offers are acceptable?

Suspect they trying to get tardy suitors to bid too.  Unfortunately we don’t need to sell to buy, other interested parties might!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Given that Derby have decided to leak the offer info, wouldn't our normal stance be to walk away out of principle? Or have we walked away, and Derby are trying to signpost what offers are acceptable?

Where have you got this from? We knew a week ago we'd bid 1.5 million from an online forum. I'm sure its common knowledge in football circles.

• Like 1

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not aimed at you Major, but I’m getting a bit fed up with the mantra that versatile means not good enough in any position.

I suspect the “fact” that we are putting bids in suggests there aren’t similar, better available…and he’s our current “best on the list”.  That list might be very short.

Suspect they trying to get tardy suitors to bid too.  Unfortunately we don’t need to sell to buy, other interested parties might!

Like the versatile Alex Scott? Useless that lad!

• Like 3
  • Robin 2

Just now, RedRoss said:

Where have you got this from? We knew a week ago we'd bid 1.5 million from an online forum. I'm sure its common knowledge in football circles.

OK, I didn't know.

But a  journo connected to Derby would presumably have tacit approval of the club to report this?

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If Derby are pushing us to a different price bracket then that could change our list. 
We may have hoped to get him for ‘x’ but if we can’t then  ‘y ‘ opens up other possibilities. 

Im not exactly convinced about this deal, if we are looking for goals from midfield, then spending 2 million on a lad with 3 goals last season in a strong team in league 1 doesn’t exactly meet that criteria, regardless of whether his work rate is great or not?! Obviously if he signs we wish him all the best and hopefully he comes in and tears it up!

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

24 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Our visitor to the forum from Derby,whom seemed a rather sensible type was of the opinion he didn't particularly excel in any of the positions he plays...

Busy - yes 

Run all day - yes

• Like 1

Would prefer someone more creative to come in to midfield but there doesn't seem to be many up and coming players in League One/League Two that fit that role who could possibly make the jump up.

Unless we take a risk and look overseas for that type of player it is probably smart to go for someone who is reliable at this level and still has room for improvement in Knight.

Looks like we're going to have a lot of energy and running in this squad but think we might get unstuck against some teams who sit in and look to counter and win the percentages at set pieces, something which has been our Achilles heel in recent years.

Feel like our main sources for creativity will be Mehmeti and Naismith who can make something out of little. Another player who can do the midfield work and add that killer pass or drive past players from that position would be massive for our team. 

I like Knight and think he will be a good signing if he is to come but is he someone who is going to come in and be a real difference maker on the pitch? We'll have to wait and see. 

24 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Im not exactly convinced about this deal, if we are looking for goals from midfield, then spending 2 million on a lad with 3 goals last season in a strong team in league 1 doesn’t exactly meet that criteria, regardless of whether his work rate is great or not?! Obviously if he signs we wish him all the best and hopefully he comes in and tears it up!

Scott scored twice last year- yet we all want teams to spend 20+ million on him

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Flames 2

7 minutes ago, OliOTIB said:

Hes that good at ball carrying and through balls that he was named championship young player of the season.. didnt nige come out and say we want more goals from other areas of the pitch? Scott ought to have been getting at least 5 last season anyway,, and if he stays, as a creative midfielder as talented as he is, he should be getting 10 next season!

33 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

If Derby are pushing us to a different price bracket then that could change our list. 
We may have hoped to get him for ‘x’ but if we can’t then  ‘y ‘ opens up other possibilities. 

Yes, absolutely.  If they want too much we move onto the next.  That’s recruiting in a nutshell, it’s rate you get all your no1 picks.  We don’t even know of Knight was no1, we might’ve already missed no1, no2, etc.. we certainly don’t just have one option.

32 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Being facetious that’s 3 more than Matty James, 3 more than Andy King, 1 more than Alex Scott, etc etc.

You also have to factor in what role in Derby’s team, where he might play in ours, who he might compliment, who might compliment him.

I also thinks Nige wants more goals and although he’s mentioned midfield he wants them all over, inc set pieces.  If Matty James and Kal Naismith got 3 each that’s 5 more than this season, probably 5-6 points worth!!

29 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Our visitor to the forum from Derby,whom seemed a rather sensible type was of the opinion he didn't particularly excel in any of the positions he plays...

Busy - yes 

Run all day - yes

yep but what did our own @BTRFTG say about Andi Weimann? ??‍♂️

He isn’t / wasn’t the only one either!!!

19 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Would prefer someone more creative to come in to midfield but there doesn't seem to be many up and coming players in League One/League Two that fit that role who could possibly make the jump up.

Unless we take a risk and look overseas for that type of player it is probably smart to go for someone who is reliable at this level and still has room for improvement in Knight.

Looks like we're going to have a lot of energy and running in this squad but think we might get unstuck against some teams who sit in and look to counter and win the percentages at set pieces, something which has been our Achilles heel in recent years.

Feel like our main sources for creativity will be Mehmeti and Naismith who can make something out of little. Another player who can do the midfield work and add that killer pass or drive past players from that position would be massive for our team. 

I like Knight and think he will be a good signing if he is to come but is he someone who is going to come in and be a real difference maker on the pitch? We'll have to wait and see. 

For me, this is one of the reasons you get a player like Knight - third-man runs, like Brownhill, Weimann.  Going beyond the strikers.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

yep but what did our own @BTRFTG say about Andi Weimann? ??‍♂️

He isn’t / wasn’t the only one either!!!

The fellow from Derby was balanced/fair in his comments - re; the Roberts signing - was extremely complimentary & said we have a player there.. 

No way he would then be less complimentary about Knight for any other reason than that was his honest opinion...

Imo of course.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I also thinks Nige wants more goals and although he’s mentioned midfield he wants them all over, inc set pieces.  If Matty James and Kal Naismith got 3 each that’s 5 more than this season, probably 5-6 points worth!!

When it comes to more goals I think we are forgetting Sykes who started getting a few when he was moved to an attacking position. He has the knack of sneaking in ahead of the strikers e.g. his goal at QPR.10+ in a season is far from beyond him imo.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Son of Fred said:

The fellow from Derby was balanced/fair in his comments - re; the Roberts signing - was extremely complimentary & said we have a player there.. 

No way he would then be less complimentary about Knight for any other reason than that was his honest opinion...

Imo of course.

No one is saying it’s not an honest opinion, I’m sure BTR was being honest in his opinion of Weimann.  Some people see different things in different players.  We might both agree on player A but be poles apart on Player B for example.

Just like this example, I think Jason Knight is a player that fits into our team in a number of ways.  It looks like our recruitment team think he’s got something that adds to the collective team too.

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

When it comes to more goals I think we are forgetting Sykes who started getting a few when he was moved to an attacking position. He has the knack of sneaking in ahead of the strikers e.g. his goal at QPR.10+ in a season is far from beyond him imo.

Not forgotten ???

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, OliOTIB said:

Shock horror, playing defensive midfield isn't about scoring or providing goals,

Why don't you look at his tackling and passing rate, as well as cross success,

I put far more faith in those stats in a midfielder over goals,

Out of interest how many goals did Roy Keane score a season, or veria?

Edited by Monkeh
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Shock horror, playing defensive midfield isn't about scoring or providing goals,

I think Oli was having a go at others re Scott, not criticising Scott himself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

He was certainly playing further forward than james or Williams, or at least should have been if those 2 were fit!

i wonder what we could get wallace or swift out of west brom for?