IGNORED

Season Ticket Renewal!

REDOXO

16 hours ago, Ian M said:

I've said this before, the list of billionaires who wish to own a football club is quite small already.

Imagine how large the list of billionaires who wish to own a football club and a rugby club is?

Now reduce that further by producing a list of billionaires who wish to own a football club, a rugby club and a basketball club.

Add to that the women's teams (I assume there is a womens rugby team)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

Especially when none of those individual entities manage to show a profit.  

In spite of the stadium upgrade and the massively increased matchday and corporate revenues coming from that, we still can’t even produce a profit in that area 🤦‍♂️

It’s little wonder Lansdown can’t find a buyer!

In a nutshell. Who wants to buy 3 loss making teams In one hit.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sir Geoff said:

In a nutshell. Who wants to buy 3 loss making teams In one hit.

Exactly. Buy one and your exposure is limited. Steve takes on the exposure because he’s emotionally invested in it. A hard nosed investor who just wants to buy a football club and is also looking to pay bottom dollar regardless of the Owner’s perceived value isn’t dealing in emotions.

• Like 1

Although the loss making bits of Bristol Rugby and Flyers in Cash terms aren't that high. 

Harder especially for Rugby, if debt repayment part of a Purchase Price to justify for Rugby. Debt was £45-55m in 2022, curiously not listed in 2023 unless I missed it. SL hasn't put any money in since 2021, it may change this year.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

22 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Although the loss making bits of Bristol Rugby and Flyers in Cash terms aren't that high. 

Harder especially for Rugby, if debt repayment part of a Purchase Price to justify for Rugby. Debt was £45-55m in 2022, curiously not listed in 2023 unless I missed it. SL hasn't put any money in since 2021, it may change this year.

If I had enough cash to buy a football club and the Owner tells me I also have to purchase a Rugby Club and a Basketball Club that loses "a bit of money but not too much" I wouldn't be interested in buying it. It might only be double or even one and a half times the work/investment rather than triple but if I'm not interested in Rugby and Basketball then I'm not buying it unless it's a "no brainer" investment opportunity (and as Rugby Union is a mess right now with no signs of recovery on the horizon I'm out!!). @Ian M made a great point that there isn't a queue around the block of Billionaires looking to buy a Football Club let alone a Bristol Sport Football/ Rugby/Basketball Empire.

That said, there must be an exit strategy for Steve in any event, surely? I presume, just looking at West Brom going for £80m, his absolute worst case is that he splits Bristol Sport up for quick sale (£100m tops maybe?) and loses a shed load of money on his overall investment albeit that loss would be circa £5-£6m per year for a billionaire? You no doubt know a lot more on that score than I do.

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

If I had enough cash to buy a football club and the Owner tells me I also have to purchase a Rugby Club and a Basketball Club that loses "a bit of money but not too much" I wouldn't be interested in buying it. It might only be double or even one and a half times the work/investment rather than triple but if I'm not interested in Rugby and Basketball then I'm not buying it unless it's a "no brainer" investment opportunity (and as Rugby Union is a mess right now with no signs of recovery on the horizon I'm out!!). @Ian M made a great point that there isn't a queue around the block of Billionaires looking to buy a Football Club let alone a Bristol Sport Football/ Rugby/Basketball Empire.

That said, there must be an exit strategy for Steve in any event, surely? I presume, just looking at West Brom going for £80m, his absolute worst case is that he splits Bristol Sport up for quick sale (£100m tops maybe?) and loses a shed load of money on his overall investment albeit that loss would be circa £5-£6m per year for a billionaire? You no doubt know a lot more on that score than I do.

Yeah I get it, perhaps not so much the money as the hassle and principle. Albeit in Cash terms subject to purchase price and debt it wouldn't add a huge amount and especially in context of football.

That WBA purchase price was inclusive of certain debt I think. Yes SL needs an exit strategy unless the dreaded scenario is for Jon to inherit it all fully..??  Panic Omg GIF

The one that really sticks out like a sore thumb, incredibly pricy for the level is Ipswich up to £100m or similar for 40%. No brainer for those who purchased Ipswich but...

1 hour ago, Galley is our king said:

Where have you seen/heard this?

Or  a subtle bit of sarcasm?

Sarcasm

If they were going well the club would be shouting about them like they did last year

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah I get it, perhaps not so much the money as the hassle and principle. Albeit in Cash terms subject to purchase price and debt it wouldn't add a huge amount and especially in context of football.

That WBA purchase price was inclusive of certain debt I think. Yes SL needs an exit strategy unless the dreaded scenario is for Jon to inherit it all fully..??  Panic Omg GIF

The one that really sticks out like a sore thumb, incredibly pricy for the level is Ipswich up to £100m or similar for 40%. No brainer for those who purchased Ipswich but...

I’d really like to know what Lansdown’s original plan for BS was, as I’d always thought he wanted to create a sporting legacy for south Bristol.  

That doesn’t look to be the case any more, as he’s cut off the funding and a feeling of neglect is starting to creep in.  It’s not difficult to work out what’ll happen to any sporting organisation where cash has been pulled, or greatly reduced, so there could be some very difficult times ahead for all the teams within the BS group.

Lansdown now appears to have completely lost interest in his sporting project and as he’s made the group pretty unattractive to potential investors, he seems to have painted himself right into a corner.

I can’t imagine his original plan involved presiding over a group of stagnant, loss making clubs under the Bristol Sport banner, where even his flagship new stadium still manages to make a loss.  The fact he has shackled all these teams together into a pretty unattractive package is looking like really poor judgement on his part and not leaving him a way out without a big financial hit.

I wonder what he privately thinks of what he’s achieved, when balanced against his investment.  I can’t imagine he’s exactly glowing with pride, though if he’s somehow convinced himself he’s done well, that’ll surely provide conclusive proof of where our problems really lie!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Relative to rugby, world class massive earners gone or going and replaced by cheap options.

Dont anyone believe Lansdown treats rugby any differently.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Relative to rugby, world class massive earners gone or going and replaced by cheap options.

Dont anyone believe Lansdown treats rugby any differently.

Thanks, I've been looking at bits. I know there is a Salary Cap in Rugby that in theory should increase the solvency but seemingly not. Do Bristol push to the max they can or not especially?

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thanks, I've been looking at bits. I know there is a Salary Cap in Rugby that in theory should increase the solvency but seemingly not. Do Bristol push to the max they can or not especially?

Bristol isnt as "creative" as some cheats who are generally one step ahead of the law.

The cap isnt straightforward as you have exempt marquee players (was Piatau here for example), home gown also get some exemptions.

2 years ago Bristol forgot to terminate some contracts meaning they were stuck with unwanted players and had to then release internationals like Attwood, so the incompetence isnt confined to football.

So far, fairly underwhelming incoming with much better going out.

What is annoying is that the biggest clubs are held back by the cap so that teams drawing 5000 fans like Sale and Newcastle are on an even footing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BrizzleRed said:

I’d really like to know what Lansdown’s original plan for BS was, as I’d always thought he wanted to create a sporting legacy for south Bristol.  

That doesn’t look to be the case any more, as he’s cut off the funding and a feeling of neglect is starting to creep in.  It’s not difficult to work out what’ll happen to any sporting organisation where cash has been pulled, or greatly reduced, so there could be some very difficult times ahead for all the teams within the BS group.

Lansdown now appears to have completely lost interest in his sporting project and as he’s made the group pretty unattractive to potential investors, he seems to have painted himself right into a corner.

I can’t imagine his original plan involved presiding over a group of stagnant, loss making clubs under the Bristol Sport banner, where even his flagship new stadium still manages to make a loss.  The fact he has shackled all these teams together into a pretty unattractive package is looking like really poor judgement on his part and not leaving him a way out without a big financial hit.

I wonder what he privately thinks of what he’s achieved, when balanced against his investment.  I can’t imagine he’s exactly glowing with pride, though if he’s somehow convinced himself he’s done well, that’ll surely provide conclusive proof of where our problems really lie!

The real Madrid and barca model, they both have multiple sporting teams under one umbrella 

The thing is they have a world wide rep when doing this, we didn't 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

The real Madrid and barca model, they both have multiple sporting teams under one umbrella 

I would also imagine both recruit the very best they can in every position withinin the hierarchy (I know the top man is elected)

I think this is where Lansdown has consistently deviated, never more so than right now.

What other club in the champ would have a trio of junior, Tinnion, and Manning running things, with (apparently) jono's inept mates throughout the bs structure.

Tinpot dictatorship .

• Like 6
  • Flames 2
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Amazing how many occasions Lansdown has tried to copy what another club is doing.  

Trouble is, he seems oblivious to how to actually achieve it, or if it’s even possible in our circumstances.  Yet more money spunked on a fatally flawed plan.

• Like 11

26 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Amazing how many occasions Lansdown has tried to copy what another club is doing.  

Trouble is, he seems oblivious to how to actually achieve it, or if it’s even possible in our circumstances.  Yet more money spunked on a fatally flawed plan.

Lansdown summed up in a few words, bang on 👏 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I think Lansdown was doing ok till he decided to become a tax exile . Being away from the hub and letting a string of inept ambassadors run everything into the ground has let him live the maxim, NOT Absence makes the heart grow fonder, more Out of sight out of mind !

I think it marked a distinct change in the relationship.  

Despite some grumbles (let’s not forget the very idea of the supporters trust grew legs because of disquiet of his early approach) by and large he was very much perceived as a “fan owner”.  There was good engagement, very good engagement in fact (the guy literally attended kick arounds in the park).  Fans forums happened frequently. 

Then he moved, and little by little the relationship changed.  We went from “it’s my money” (absolutely fair) to “it’s my club”.  I think having to step and save Jon from his disastrous tenure as CEO seemingly killed the relationship with fans. 

It’s a shame.  

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

Ah yes his son's disastrous tenure as CEO. That was when we had to do the reset sliding down to League One. Coppell-Millen-McInnes-O'Driscoll, is that it?

I recall reading following the departure SL said or words to the effect anyway, "I saw cheering a last minute equaliser against Leyton Orient and I wondered what had we come to". I can't recall the exact quote but it was definitely linked to a shock at our decline and the Leyton Orient reference I definitely remmeber the substance if not the exact quote.

13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/25399567

Worth a listen to this. Feels a different club, a different SL really.

Fans Parliament, Fan Engagement etc.

After the O'Driscoll sacking..around the time Cotts came in. He does seem more distant now, Fan Engagement does seem stripped back set against a decade ago.

He was on about new starts in all that but what's changed apart from him being none existent,You can say the play off final which we came very close but since then we've had what I'd say one excellent season under cotts everything else is bang average,With all the investment it really is poor and now the clubs even more distant from us fans. Time for him to move on.

Edited by Street red
  • Like 3

Just now, Street red said:

He was on about new starts in all that but what's changed apart from him being none existent,You can say the play off final which we came very close but since then we've had what I'd say one excellent season under cotts everything else is bang average with all the investment it really is poor and now the clubs even more distant from us fans. Time for him to move on.

He has run his race for sure, the final straw (for me) came between say July 2023 and November 2023. His son and Tinnion are less competent still and never will be fit for their current roles IMO.

Mostly agree on the pitch albeit we perhaps had one or two tilts at the playoffs, tempered by SL backing the wrong horse persistently well through a lot of his time here.

My thing here more, Fans Parliament..club engagement..definitely seems to have worsened in addition to what you say.

• Like 6

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

He has run his race for sure, the final straw (for me) came between say July 2023 and November 2023. His son and Tinnion are less competent still and never will be fit for their current roles IMO.

Mostly agree on the pitch albeit we perhaps had one or two tilts at the playoffs, tempered by SL backing the wrong horse persistently well through a lot of his time here.

My thing here more, Fans Parliament..club engagement..definitely seems to have worsened in addition to what you say.

Agreed on his son and tinnion it really isn't a good look is it.Another thing from the period we flirted with the play offs basically under Johnson what was the figure of players turn over during that 4 year period wasnt it something stupid around 70 players signed? I'm not sure on the exact timings but fan engagement and fans parliament certainly went out the window with the Bristol sport set up it just gradually faded but also the arena project which he really doesn't give much feed back on or at all. I definitely look at the bigger picture which really isn't that great. And that's just from the football clubs perspective.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Street red said:

He was on about new starts in all that but what's changed apart from him being none existent,You can say the play off final which we came very close but since then we've had what I'd say one excellent season under cotts everything else is bang average,With all the investment it really is poor and now the clubs even more distant from us fans. Time for him to move on.

Agreed.

IMO he has long overstayed his welcome in Bristol. The football club has been gong backwards for several years now. Bristol Sport has been killing the football. We need a senior management team, professional Board, direction, focus and a player pathway in order to retain the better players in order to produce a better team. Not good enough Lansdown!! Get out please.

• Like 2
  • Flames 2
  • Facepalm 3

On 04/04/2024 at 14:53, Numero Uno said:

Don't you think Steve Lansdown hasn't been drawing profit/income from other parts of the whole Bristol Sport arrangement?

Pula doesn't publish accounts and owns everything....

• Like 4