IGNORED

Season Ticket Renewal!

REDOXO

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Can't agree with that bit in particular. He wasn't able to build anything for two and a bit seasons because our FFFP position was savage. Nige and Richard Gould not only ensured our wage bill was drastically slashed (it had to be to avoid points deductions) but also ensured we stayed in the Championship too. If you believe the last 12 months or so of his appointment didn't see fast enough progression for your liking that's a different argument altogether, and a valid one (that I disagree with!!) but to say he had 3 years to build a side is a plain misrepresentation of what actually happened, not opinion at all.

I felt that this would be the season to kick on with Nige and co. 

*We also lost Nathan Baker during his reign. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cellist said:

Has 2 wins in 2 changed anyone's mind and led to early renewal? What are you hoping to see in the last 6 games?

(Not trying to start a fight - genuinely interested! I'm not an ST holder, don't live in Bristol so try and go away more than home. Respect the decision to delay renewal to make a point - a point that needs making!)

Absolutely 100% no change, I won't be renewing full stop.

Not to do with the football at all, my god we've been used to being served up rubbish for the last I don't know how long bar Cotts' one season!

I cannot stand the disconnect how I feel with the snakes and liars running our club. I'll go to some away games but no season ticket for me

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Just now, exAtyeoMax said:

Same, I thought it would kick on this season and the hierarchy felt different. My gripes are the way the hierarchy handled it, the messaging behind it that Nige had all this "time" to build a side and their generally poor communications and behaviours (sorry Liam) since. If you don't rate Nige then fine but don't literally make stuff up to pad out your argument!!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

you felt it, i felt it and many others felt it too but most importantly, Nige and his team felt it , everyone was in it together which is what has been destroyed👍

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 1

My brother who I usually go with went travelling to oz then had a couple of things on recently so missed some recently. He has been to West Ham home, Southampton home and Leicester home (he may have been to a couple of early manning games but I can’t remember.

It’s hard to square that off with every other game virtually where after 10 minutes I message him to say this is shit. 

he is in a very select number of people that have enjoyed manningball.

on topic of the question though, 2 wins has not changed my outlook, I am still likely to renew at the latest moment

16 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Can't agree with that bit in particular. He wasn't able to build anything for two and a bit seasons because our FFFP position was savage. Nige and Richard Gould not only ensured our wage bill was drastically slashed (it had to be to avoid points deductions) but also ensured we stayed in the Championship too. If you believe the last 12 months or so of his appointment didn't see fast enough progression for your liking that's a different argument altogether, and a valid one (that I disagree with!!) but to say he had 3 years to build a side is a plain misrepresentation of what actually happened, not opinion at all.

Yes, not 2.5 seasons to build at all, 2.5 seasons to compromise at best, 2.5 seasons of part-demolition might be a better description.  2.5 years of scrimping and saving, making do.

I can in part accept some didn’t like his football style / the way his team played, but the continued ignorance over the situation he inherited is staggering.

Do people think people like you and I just made it up?

Argghhhhh

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 5
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

No it wasnt. Millwall A was excellent. Swansea A, we battered them. Plymouth H, 4 goals. Stoke H 2 goals up and threw it away, but it wasn't poor.

End of last season QPR A, Burnley H we were very good.

No I don't think the football was poor before Manning was appointed. Inconsistent, yes. Poor definitely not.

Hull away after a poor start too we competed well and was good.

Definitely was inconsistent at times yes. Albeit we had a baseline of a certain level (aesthetic points aside) that we generally didn't fall below..We can't say that now.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, not 2.5 seasons to build at all, 2.5 seasons to compromise at best, 2.5 seasons of part-demolition might be a better description.  2.5 years of scrimping and saving, making do.

I can in part accept some didn’t like his football style / the way his team played, but the continued ignorance over the situation he inherited is staggering.

Do people think people like you and I just made it up?

Argghhhhh

He was literally appointed by Steve to fight the fires he must have known were on the horizon. His CV literally advertises that he's the man to work on a budget and that's what he did. Had the Board said "we appreciate the fantastic job Nigel did in maintaining our Championship status during a period of extremely tough and challenging circumstances but we feel a modern, progressive, younger manager is what the club needs to increase it's chances of success moving forwards" many will still have disagreed but it wouldn't have been the ham fisted effort around "deconditioning, should be top end, promotion this season, front foot etc. etc." that we were fed and which has led to much criticism of the people who "run" this football club. That is literally the issue for me.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 4

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

He was literally appointed by Steve to fight the fires he must have known were on the horizon. His CV literally advertises that he's the man to work on a budget and that's what he did. Had the Board said "we appreciate the fantastic job Nigel did in maintaining our Championship status during a period of extremely tough and challenging circumstances but we feel a modern, progressive, younger manager is what the club needs to increase it's chances of success moving forwards" many will still have disagreed but it wouldn't have been the ham fisted effort around "deconditioning, should be top end, promotion this season etc. etc." that we were fed and which has led to much criticism of the people who "run" this football club. That is literally the issue for me.

Totally agree with this. I always felt that, whilst Pearson was the person to halt the club's freefall and rebuild the culture, he might not be the person in charge to kick on from there and I'm not 100% certain that I'd have renewed his contract if it was down to me. (I think I would have done but I'd have assessed at the end of the season). However I deeply disliked the way the club allowed speculation to grow around his position, the lack of respect the club showed for the job he had done in tough circumstances and the way that what was essentially a decision around the club's preference for the style of manager they wanted was justified by trying to publicly undermine the job Pearson had done. 

I totally get that I'm not going to like every managerial decision the club make but my issue is the lack of honestly and integrity. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

For those who don’t know or are unsure, I was a NP fan, I don’t think he should have been sacked (although we all knew the writing was on the wall and there was no new contract forthcoming), LM has a long way to go to make me ‘believe’, however some of the replies on here are so far off the football I remember as a whole. 

The levels of confirmation bias on here are unreal, those guilty of it won’t be able to see it and will likely get defensive, but any objective poster will see the sample size and handpicked NP games being offered up by some posters as some of the good times under Nige, but will know that they aren’t a fair reflection or representation of his whole time here.

Watching Bristol City FC has been a slog for a long time, let’s not pretend NP had us playing like Keegan’s Newcastle please. It a shame NP didn’t get a new deal (pending a few more decent results) or that he didn’t see out his contract, but let’s not try to convince ourselves that we were watching scintillating football. For the sake of the club, otib, fellow supporters and themselves, some supporters need to lose their rose tinted and move on from NP, not saying support or forgive the ownership, but forget about your ex, otherwise you may find that your love for club won’t return and you’ll forever have a large, ostrich shape hole in your heart.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Totally agree with this. I always felt that, whilst Pearson was the person to halt the club's freefall and rebuild the culture, he might not be the person in charge to kick on from there and I'm not 100% certain that I'd have renewed his contract if it was down to me. (I think I would have done but I'd have assessed at the end of the season). However I deeply disliked the way the club allowed speculation to grow around his position, the lack of respect the club showed for the job he had done in tough circumstances and the way that what was essentially a decision around the club's preference for the style of manager they wanted was justified by trying to publicly undermine the job Pearson had done. 

I totally get that I'm not going to like every managerial decision the club make but my issue is the lack of honestly and integrity. 

He had us moving in the right direction. Even if he didn’t get there himself, this summer should’ve been (imho):

• Should he get another crack (did he want another crack?) - because I think the signs were that we weren’t far away, or
  • Should we push on with the successor, with Nige playing a key role (like had on the football strategy) in deciding who that should be
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, zombie said:

For those who don’t know or are unsure, I was a NP fan, I don’t think he should have been sacked (although we all knew the writing was on the wall and there was no new contract forthcoming), LM has a long way to go to make me ‘believe’, however some of the replies on here are so far off the football I remember as a whole. 

The levels of confirmation bias on here are unreal, those guilty of it won’t be able to see it and will likely get defensive, but any objective poster will see the sample size and handpicked NP games being offered up by some posters as some of the good times under Nige, but will know that they aren’t a fair reflection or representation of his whole time here.

Watching Bristol City FC has been a slog for a long time, let’s not pretend NP had us playing like Keegan’s Newcastle please. It a shame NP didn’t get a new deal (pending a few more decent results) or that he didn’t see out his contract, but let’s not try to convince ourselves that we were watching scintillating football. For the sake of the club, otib, fellow supporters and themselves, some supporters need to lose their rose tinted and move on from NP, not saying support or forgive the ownership, but forget about your ex, otherwise you may find that your love for club won’t return and you’ll forever have a large, ostrich shape hole in your heart.

I fundamentally disagree with your whole post. There is no sense of realism or recognition of circumstance. It is almost passive aggressive . I saw a club emerging from a period of potential financial disaster , with young talent developed , some scintillating football on occasions marred by defensive lapses , a squad committed and willing to work for each other , a huge transfer positive in the bank and no relegation (that was probably due after such mismanagement) add on substantial player improvements too. What I find really concerning , and it is the blind spot the owners and fans like you  have is a complete disregard or understanding of what makes a successful football club . Quote all of the teams you want , but until you take time to understand why those clubs have been more successful than us , then you are going to contribute to flap around with empty comments and no substance . Pearson was the least of our issues. His time would have run, but you do not throw the baby out with the bath water . 

For the sake of the club, Otib, fellow supporters and themselves , some supporters need to put their spectacles on. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Edgy Red said:

But you're just hand picking some positive results/reasonable performances there Sir Geoff, which we can do for Manning too (Middlesbrough x 2, Hull, West Ham x 2, Leicester, Southampton).

What about Nige's home games this season against Preston, Birmingham and Coventry (I appreciate we won 1-0 but it was robbery and Cov battered us. In fact it was going to be shown on Crimewatch that night)

The football under Nige was largely uninspiring and he had the best part of 3 years to build a team. Aside from Scott, Semenyo and maybe Kalas, i don't really think he lost anyone else of note.

I have no idea how the Manning reign will pan out, but he deserves some time and a few of his own signings before we should properly judge him.

I appreciate my post goes against most fans views on here, so please don't get angry with me, its just my opinion CTID

If you read the whole post, I said we were inconsistent. In my opinion the football was not as poor, certainly not as mind numbingly boring. It's all about opinions, yours is that 180 v Middlesborough was entertaining. My opinion is that the home game was also poor as was the 2nd half away.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, zombie said:

I accept plenty of games under NP were poor, and theres little point in going over the firefighting that marked the majority of his time here.

Hes gone thats it, no rose tinted specs for me.

The ***** who run (or is that ruin?) the club remain though, and what I see of Manning as a coach and person I dont like.

So im not pining for a man who did a very decent job, nor am I contemplating a return to AG.

Ill always love BCFC just not the baggage that comes with it for the forseeable future.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

no. I'll wait to the last minute (22nd April, deadline is 23rd) before renewing, if I do. I'm not convinced by any of it. 

I've set a diary note for the 22nd.

I'll never understand why LM persisted with playing Knight out of position. It's no surprise that part of the very recent improvement is due to playing him in a more natural role.

Unlike a few, I'm looking for reasons to renew. If LM continues to make positive decisions with the team set up and in game management then I'll renew, whilst appreciating 💯 why others won't be.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He had us moving in the right direction. Even if he didn’t get there himself, this summer should’ve been (imho):

• Should he get another crack (did he want another crack?) - because I think the signs were that we weren’t far away, or
  • Should we push on with the successor, with Nige playing a key role (like had on the football strategy) in deciding who that should be

Sad Monsters Inc GIF by filmeditor

I can't believe they were so short-sighted / narrow-minded / petty / pathetic. 

Fozzie Bear Reaction GIF

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I've set a diary note for the 22nd.

I'll never understand why LM persisted with playing Knight out of position. It's no surprise that part of the very recent improvement is due to playing him in a more natural role.

Unlike a few, I'm looking for reasons to renew. If LM continues to make positive decisions with the team set up and in game management then I'll renew, whilst appreciating 💯 why others won't be.

I think Manning will do all he can to continue this upturn over the next few weeks and will be sending his sides out to compete, dead rubbers or not. The fact that a large enough number haven't renewed so far, and it hasn't all been hot air spouted on a forum for once, may have woken somebody up above Liam...........and whilst they might think "ahh, it's just a silly little protest, they'll renew" that isn't a given until it actually happens. They will be desperate now to avoid giving fans who haven't renewed yet, but intend to, reasons NOT to renew over the next three weeks.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

No it wasnt. Millwall A was excellent. Swansea A, we battered them. Plymouth H, 4 goals. Stoke H 2 goals up and threw it away, but it wasn't poor.

End of last season QPR A, Burnley H we were very good.

No I don't think the football was poor before Manning was appointed. Inconsistent, yes. Poor definitely not.

So you've picked four games from Pearson's reign this season, i think you're really clutching at straws when quoting Plymouth reserves, losing a two goal league to a poor Stoke team and a 94th minute winner with our first shot on target at Millwall,

Are you honestly saying that the home games against Brum & PNE weren't poor ? and don't even get me started on some of the performances from last season (i still break into a cold sweat thinking about one of the worse City performances i've ever seen at Reading)  

I'm not saying that all things are rosy in the garden but i certainly don't think things are any worse.

Just now, TV Tom said:

So you've picked four games from Pearson's reign this season, i think you're really clutching at straws when quoting Plymouth reserves, losing a two goal league to a poor Stoke team and a 94th minute winner with our first shot on target at Millwall,

Are you honestly saying that the home games against Brum & PNE weren't poor ? and don't even get me started on some of the performances from last season (i still break into a cold sweat thinking about one of the worse City performances i've ever seen at Reading)  

I'm not saying that all things are rosy in the garden but i certainly don't think things are any worse.

They shouldn't be any worse (albeit prior to the Bank Holiday weekend that was certainly arguable). Liam is ultimately here to do better to be fair, otherwise you don't sack people and waste money on settlements, and due to the Bank Holiday results will definitely get his chance to show us what better looks like.

1 hour ago, Edgy Red said:

But you're just hand picking some positive results/reasonable performances there Sir Geoff, which we can do for Manning too (Middlesbrough x 2, Hull, West Ham x 2, Leicester, Southampton).

What about Nige's home games this season against Preston, Birmingham and Coventry (I appreciate we won 1-0 but it was robbery and Cov battered us. In fact it was going to be shown on Crimewatch that night)

The football under Nige was largely uninspiring and he had the best part of 3 years to build a team. Aside from Scott, Semenyo and maybe Kalas, i don't really think he lost anyone else of note.

I have no idea how the Manning reign will pan out, but he deserves some time and a few of his own signings before we should properly judge him.

I appreciate my post goes against most fans views on here, so please don't get angry with me, its just my opinion CTID

Not going to get angry at all - but I think the bolded bit is worthy of development as it’s an argument I hear a lot (not just about Liam, about any manager).

If you take our side, and assuming we play either 3-4-2-1 or 4-5-1 then you need to get to the point of who you replace - and crucially, how much it costs to replace them. 

In that spirit - We aren’t going to want to replace the following, all of whom fit into those formations:

O’Leary, Tanner, Pring, Vyner, Atkinson, Dickie, Knight, Sykes, James (although may go). We’re also likely to lose Conway, and I’d argue Mehmeti is very much “his player”. Bird was a club target but we’re not selling him.

So, I think you have 11 there that you’d say are his players or you wouldn’t want to or be able to improve on without significant cost.

If you then assume Roberts, McCrorie, Wells, Bell, Palmer-Holden, Knight-Lebel, Stokes, TGH and a sub keeper are backup. Argue if you keep Cornick/King/Naismith/Williams. Not including Murphy.

So, the argument of “he needs his players” becomes, based on the squad, he needs a striker and an attacking midfielder. Not massively different to what we’ve needed for a while and is effectively just reconfirming we didn’t replace Scott. They are also the most expensive players to recruit for.

So, we can say he needs his players - would you give him the £5 - £10m he needs for quality players in those positions based on what you’ve seen so far (not just the weekend)?

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

38 minutes ago, zombie said:

My love for this club was lost when Lansdown decided Bristol sport was the way to go just imagine they did this at Manchester utd Liverpool arsenal there would be up roar in fact is there another club that does this? Think I've said before Lansdown had us believe he was the savoir of our club when he used to come on the pitch and give us his bull about our future and that we will gain promotion blah blah The ground was rebuilt and that was it debt started to flow. Something changed for me after cotts left and I stopped my season ticket there after.It wasn't until the summer of this season I got my spark back brought a season ticket after a few years of membership picking and choosing games optimistic about Pearson building something this season. Scott left Alexander left then Pearson and his team and the lies and the unprofessional way they went about it knocked me back now it's a chore to even attend the remaining games. It's gone and I hate to say it. 35 years supporting city since I was 11 we've not exactly been prolific but at least it felt like our club until the end of that fantastic season in league 1. Citys in my heart but only half that heart is still beating.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

Not to do with the football at all, my god we've been used to being served up rubbish for the last I don't know how long bar Cotts' one season!

I cannot stand the disconnect how I feel with the snakes and liars running our club. I'll go to some away games but no season ticket for me

Ahh but didn't you know that two 1 nil wins in a row fixes everything and that we should all now be rushing to hand the club our money as a matter of urgency?

• Facepalm 1

19 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

They shouldn't be any worse (albeit prior to the Bank Holiday weekend that was certainly arguable). Liam is ultimately here to do better to be fair, otherwise you don't sack people and waste money on settlements, and due to the Bank Holiday results will definitely get his chance to show us what better looks like.

Some might say he is doing better, it's all about opinions  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

Same here, no ST for next season. Mind made up long time ago tbh.

Not going till the Lansdowns are out of this football club. The amount of bull sh#t they have dished out is just not acceptable to me. A rudderless football club.

Streaming every game home and away next season for £50/year for me. Still a massive City fan but I am not going to be treated as a punter from the Lansdowns no more. Get em out.

• Like 2
  • Flames 3

1 hour ago, zombie said:

I think Tbf most people have been very careful not to pitch it as Nige against Liam, and only a moron would think Nige is coming back. It is a fact however that most of the time Nige is brought up it is in a way to justify Liams performance, which is frankly bizarre.

My concerns about Liam remain about Liam and nothing to do with the prior incumbent. I’ll never get over Joe going to Hearts but he’s not coming back either!

It’s more than reasonable to state that Liam has underperformed based on the club set expectations when appointed. It is also more than reasonable to state that there have been several games which have been turgid (noting that happens under several managers), and that the 4 cup games (I refuse to call one win a “run”!) masked some poor league form. If you look at stats we weren’t creating more, being more attacking etc and again, it’s more than reasonable to state his game management has been dubious on more than one occasion.

The inherent fault Liam had when he came in was that he tried to impose all of “him” on the team straight away - remember working on defence pre QPR when we were already solid. He then tried to impose a style the players weren’t best suited for - not saying they can’t do it, but they were less effective. The difference in recent games is the pace, intent and speed of play. Maybe he’s learning? It’d be good but the steps he took initially - not the replacing of Nige - were naive and he’s now dug himself a hole with a lot of fans, not helped by some bizarre media proclamations.

The problem with Liam is not that he’s not Nige. It’s that he’s been Liam. Definite steps forward this weekend (and fwiw I was more encouraged by Plymouth than Leicester) that if he builds on will help him dig out of that hole, but reducing it to Nige vs Liam is frankly, nonsense.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

31 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

I fundamentally disagree with your whole post. There is no sense of realism or recognition of circumstance. It is almost passive aggressive . I saw a club emerging from a period of potential financial disaster , with young talent developed , some scintillating football on occasions marred by defensive lapses , a squad committed and willing to work for each other , a huge transfer positive in the bank and no relegation (that was probably due after such mismanagement) add on substantial player improvements too. What I find really concerning , and it is the blind spot the owners and fans like you  have is a complete disregard or understanding of what makes a successful football club . Quote all of the teams you want , but until you take time to understand why those clubs have been more successful than us , then you are going to contribute to flap around with empty comments and no substance . Pearson was the least of our issues. His time would have run, but you do not throw the baby out with the bath water . 

For the sake of the club, Otib, fellow supporters and themselves , some supporters need to put their spectacles on. 

You actually back up my post in part. You fundamentally disagree with anyone who doesn’t share your view, therefore you reject it. You are more likely to agree with those who agree with or share your view, that is confirmation bias. I said some posters may get defensive. Try rereading my post and your reply.

I am aware of the great work NP did, he fought fires, he got us out of a hole previous regimes had dug for us, we were heading in the right direction, he should’ve remained in charge. I won’t pretend to be some football guru, but I know what makes a successful club, business, team etc… To dismiss/ignore others thoughts purely because on first look they don’t align with you own is ignorance.

My post which you were replying to merely stated that NP football wasn’t always easy on the eye, that’s my opinion, I can appreciate it and players effort, as I could with a Mourinho side, as a player I was not the most cultured, more of a soldier than an artist, so I definitely appreciate digging in and the less flashy side of the game. But I’ll stand by my point, newsflash, we were not 1970 Brazil.

I am not sure how many times I have to say I don’t support or respect our current ownership, they can’t go quick enough, however looking back at NP is not healthy for anyone, look to the future, like telling all your mates how great your ex was won’t help you find happiness in the long run, nor will having a pop at those who share many ideas with you. Do you think wishing NP remained in charge and defending him (even when he’s not being attacked) is helping yourself or BCFC going forward?

My spectacles are on, I don’t care if yours are on or off as it doesn’t matter if you only look back. Unless you have some way or plan to disrupt the ownership, get NP reinstated or can expedite the sale of the club I don’t see what good pining for Nige is doing, you’re preaching to the choir, if I’m calling the shots he’s still here.