IGNORED

The Great Otib 2015/16 Championship Prediction League Thread Of Glory

RedYoshi

EXAMPLE POLL  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Admin
3 hours ago, RedM said:

@RedYoshiOh wow, you've made my day, Thankyou! I'll walk around in the glow of success knowing the next lot of results will leave me crashing and burning! Rotherham was painful not only on the field. :mf_sleep:

It's clearly all in the M, M. 

Fortunately i appear to have built up a little cushion before I see Display Names such as HodgeM or Nogbad the M :)

6 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Frankly im amazed that with 3 mods in the top 12, no ones shouted FIX! yet! 

You should see what we are saying in the no-Mods sub-forum.

Anyway, mid-table obscurity is the place to be at this stage of the season.  I keep telling myself.

37 minutes ago, Chivs said:

You should see what we are saying in the no-Mods sub-forum.

Anyway, mid-table obscurity is the place to be at this stage of the season.  I keep telling myself.

I 'm with you on this . It!'s my first season in this league and i just want to consolidate before pushing on next year .

iam up against more experienced players with higher budgets .

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I 'm with you on this . It!'s my first season in this league and i just want to consolidate before pushing on next year .

iam up against more experienced players with higher budgets .

Plus @Ian M is the Swindon Town of OTIB Prediction League.  He thinks he's won it in November!

[Playing the long game] [Quite a long game...]

Hello!

Right, so the #DoubleUpdateWeek of last week has rolled over to become an #OutdatedDoubleUpdateWeek - or, as I like to call it, a #TripleUpdateFortnight - but basically the Rotherham & Blackburn outcomes will be coming tomorrow.

The Huddersfield thread will be up either tonight or tomorrow, depending on what time I get home, but if you a] can't bear to wait that long, or b] won't be able to post tomorrow/Saturday, then a] get a life, you crazy buffoon (but don't ask me for any tips on where to find one) and b] feel free to post in here & I will copy over.

Obviously that may risk missing out on the #BEFTP, which would literally be insane. In the membrane.

This boy needs therapy.

Bring on festive fixture congestion!

UPDATE TWO OF #DOUBLEUPDATEWEEKTHATISNOLONGERDOUBLEUPDATEWEEKBUTHEYWEHAVEGOTTOROLLWITHITBECAUSEOURINTERNCAMEUPWITHTHEHASHTAGANDWEHAVETOSTAYCONSISTENTWITHOURSOCIALMEDIAADVERTISINGAPPARENTLYASTHOUGHTHATISAREALTHINGNOWTHATHASSOMESENSEOFIMPORTANCE:

OH LOOK, WE'RE CRAP AGAIN.

Yes, it turns out we're not top of the league after all.

Or, if we are, so are Rotherham.

Maybe we're all top of the league?

That'd be nice.

But no... @Ian M still is.

ri6osk.jpg

Mirroring our beloved team, we all had a pretty poor outing too, with a measly total of 48 points between us - surpassing the Cardiff game as our lowest point scorer in the league so far.

Of the main categories, only three people correctly saw Rotherham beating us - one for each time the ball nestled in the back of our net. @Super@Ivorguy, and @JBFC II were the lucky pessimists, although in keeping with the general malaise of the weekend none of them managed to get the scoreline right.

In fact, no one at all had the half-time scoreline right either, with @MigratedRobin missing the chance to equal my and @bcfctim's 3 in a row, while I failed to extend it.

Oh, and nobody thought Clarke-Harris would score first, either.

What a bummer.

On the bright side, this was all happening whilst I was in a lovely little pintxos bar in Bilbao, drinking beer for €1 a pop, so that's nice.

I realise it doesn't help you guys much, but hey, I tried.

Super did at least add the Wildcard match to his haul, bumping him up to 3 points in total, but there were 3 others who pipped him to the match-leading score of 4.

@Dogbert also had Middlesbrough to beat Huddersfield 2-0 (let's hope another team in red can do the same up there today), while adding D Ward as a primary assist maker for a one-stop two-point #BEFTP. @Nogbad the Bad was another to go Wild on the Card - his league-leading 5th of the season - with the 27th minute Clarke-Harris goal giving him the two extra points that saw him claw his way back into 2nd place. Then there was the lesser spotted @RedYoshi, and I also had a one-stop two-point #BEFTP, courtesy of G Ward providing the secondary assist for my correctly predicted goalscorer of Frecklington, as well as forecasting a goal in the 9th minute (but optimistically for Kodjia...).

Talking of goal timings - sweet jumping jelly babies was that category a shining light amongst the doom and gloom of "New York" (I've never understood the appeal).

In addition to myself and Nogbad, @redsquirrel (9'), @Cider_boy@Davefevs@Red rum (27'), @Nomad, and @Septic Peg (75') ensured it was the most successful piece of time-based predictionizing that this here forum ever did see. Previous best was 5, achieved against both Brentford and Fulham, and they even had more goals, so it's even more astounding.

Yes, I said it. Astounding.

Nomad joined the Wildcard Crew* as well to top up to 3 points, while Cider_boy became a member of the 2 point club via a Clarke-Harris goal. Indeed, most goalscorer points came from the double-barrelled assassin - with @Woodsy the only other backer of Frecklington - as @DownendRed97, @Welcome To The Jungle, @Shtanley, and @BarmyArmy had him to thank for their single point each, and he added to @Ian M's two #BEFTP points.

Now, it might be an idea of Ian's - as well as @cityexile and @JoeAman08's - to slip me a little "thank you" of some description, as a certain amount of generosity over the identity of their initial-less "Ward" helped them to their #BEFTP points. While Ian, along with bcfctim, did have Smallwood down as a secondary assistant, both he and cityexile had simply "Ward" for another secondary assist, and JoeAman the same name for a primary assistant.

Of course, I took it as a given that Ian and cityexile clearly meant G Ward, whilst JoeAman meant D Ward. Consider it an early Christmas present.

Before this gets too positive for such a match, @BRIAN WILSON returned for his first game since the Reading match, and it went the same way as the previous five - namely, the way that leaves an innocent predictor empty-handed and pointless. He's 0 for 6, and @BCFCjay's record is there for the taking. Tune in next time to find out...

Now for my wildly inaccurate prediction in the Huddersfield thread, followed by the Blackburn update as our version of half-time entertainment. It's no crossbar challenge, but I reckon it might catch on.

Which leaves me with nothing else to do but introduce the aforementioned "Crew"...

*The Rotherham Wildcard Crew: @Dogbert@Nogbad the Bad@Super@cityexile@Nomad@HLR@Major Isewater@Chivs, and @bissellredhead.

"We fought the law and the score won"

40 minutes ago, RedYoshi said:

UPDATE TWO OF #DOUBLEUPDATEWEEKTHATISNOLONGERDOUBLEUPDATEWEEKBUTHEYWEHAVEGOTTOROLLWITHITBECAUSEOURINTERNCAMEUPWITHTHEHASHTAGANDWEHAVETOSTAYCONSISTENTWITHOURSOCIALMEDIAADVERTISINGAPPARENTLYASTHOUGHTHATISAREALTHINGNOWTHATHASSOMESENSEOFIMPORTANCE:

OH LOOK, WE'RE CRAP AGAIN.

Yes, it turns out we're not top of the league after all.

Or, if we are, so are Rotherham.

Maybe we're all top of the league?

That'd be nice.

But no... @Ian M still is.

ri6osk.jpg

Mirroring our beloved team, we all had a pretty poor outing too, with a measly total of 48 points between us - surpassing the Cardiff game as our lowest point scorer in the league so far.

Of the main categories, only three people correctly saw Rotherham beating us - one for each time the ball nestled in the back of our net. @Super@Ivorguy, and @JBFC II were the lucky pessimists, although in keeping with the general malaise of the weekend none of them managed to get the scoreline right.

In fact, no one at all had the half-time scoreline right either, with @MigratedRobin missing the chance to equal my and @bcfctim's 3 in a row, while I failed to extend it.

Oh, and nobody thought Clarke-Harris would score first, either.

What a bummer.

On the bright side, this was all happening whilst I was in a lovely little pintxos bar in Bilbao, drinking beer for €1 a pop, so that's nice.

I realise it doesn't help you guys much, but hey, I tried.

Super did at least add the Wildcard match to his haul, bumping him up to 3 points in total, but there were 3 others who pipped him to the match-leading score of 4.

@Dogbert also had Middlesbrough to beat Huddersfield 2-0 (let's hope another team in red can do the same up there today), while adding D Ward as a primary assist maker for a one-stop two-point #BEFTP. @Nogbad the Bad was another to go Wild on the Card - his league-leading 5th of the season - with the 27th minute Clarke-Harris goal giving him the two extra points that saw him claw his way back into 2nd place. Then there was the lesser spotted @RedYoshi, and I also had a one-stop two-point #BEFTP, courtesy of G Ward providing the secondary assist for my correctly predicted goalscorer of Frecklington, as well as forecasting a goal in the 9th minute (but optimistically for Kodjia...).

Talking of goal timings - sweet jumping jelly babies was that category a shining light amongst the doom and gloom of "New York" (I've never understood the appeal).

In addition to myself and Nogbad, @redsquirrel (9'), @Cider_boy@Davefevs@Red rum (27'), @Nomad, and @Septic Peg (75') ensured it was the most successful piece of time-based predictionizing that this here forum ever did see. Previous best was 5, achieved against both Brentford and Fulham, and they even had more goals, so it's even more astounding.

Yes, I said it. Astounding.

Nomad joined the Wildcard Crew* as well to top up to 3 points, while Cider_boy became a member of the 2 point club via a Clarke-Harris goal. Indeed, most goalscorer points came from the double-barrelled assassin - with @Woodsy the only other backer of Frecklington - as @DownendRed97, @Welcome To The Jungle, @Shtanley, and @BarmyArmy had him to thank for their single point each, and he added to @Ian M's two #BEFTP points.

Now, it might be an idea of Ian's - as well as @cityexile and @JoeAman08's - to slip me a little "thank you" of some description, as a certain amount of generosity over the identity of their initial-less "Ward" helped them to their #BEFTP points. While Ian, along with bcfctim, did have Smallwood down as a secondary assistant, both he and cityexile had simply "Ward" for another secondary assist, and JoeAman the same name for a primary assistant.

Of course, I took it as a given that Ian and cityexile clearly meant G Ward, whilst JoeAman meant D Ward. Consider it an early Christmas present.

Before this gets too positive for such a match, @BRIAN WILSON returned for his first game since the Reading match, and it went the same way as the previous five - namely, the way that leaves an innocent predictor empty-handed and pointless. He's 0 for 6, and @BCFCjay's record is there for the taking. Tune in next time to find out...

Now for my wildly inaccurate prediction in the Huddersfield thread, followed by the Blackburn update as our version of half-time entertainment. It's no crossbar challenge, but I reckon it might catch on.

Which leaves me with nothing else to do but introduce the aforementioned "Crew"...

*The Rotherham Wildcard Crew: @Dogbert@Nogbad the Bad@Super@cityexile@Nomad@HLR@Major Isewater@Chivs, and @bissellredhead.

"We fought the law and the score won"

I won't lie I knew they had two Wards and didn't specify on purpose. Though the Tottenham loanee was my pick. Cheers @RedYoshi

• Admin
3 hours ago, RedYoshi said:

No worries @JoeAman08 - a cheque will be fine... ;)

A cheque? How quaint :)

I was the same as @JoeAman08, only different, as I had no idea they had 2 Ward's and just saw previous posters had named Ward as an assistee and copied it to add some variety to my selections. So I might have meant that Ward, though I might not. However, as he did provide an assist I am sure in essence I meant it. Subconciously or something...

UPDATE THREE OF #DOUBLEUPDATEWEEK (IN HONOUR OF DOUGLAS ADAMS' TRILOGY IN FIVE PARTS):

YEP, WE'RE DEFINITELY AWFUL.

Two games. Five goals. None for us.

That's it, may as well give up, I suppose. No chance of beating Huddersfield "next week", is there...? :shifty:

The only winner last week was Blackburn. The other one was @Chivs.

fbex6p.jpg

Before I get to Chivs' achievements, though, we require a moment's silence.

The greatest scoring streak in #GOTIB15to16CPL history is no more.

19 games. 17 goalscorers (including 2 of the 'first' variety). Some other stuff.

Tellingly, no FT scorelines, wild or otherwise.

But one prediction was more prescient than any other:

On 12/5/2015 at 13:26, RedYoshi said:

I'm now feeling that this might be the first week I don't get a point. Although that might still be my intestines.

Yes, the real reason for the delay in all the updates is because I've been crying myself to sleep every night since the unthinkable happened.

Ironically, I could give myself a bonus point for predicting it so accurately, but then that would make it incorrect, and thus I end up in a vicious circle of success and failure.

The run is dead. Long live the run.

On which note, at this point in proceedings, @Davefevs and @cityexile are both on a run of 12 games, while @UK0wnag3 hasn't had any pointless games but has only played 11 so far.

Aim high, gentlemen - unless you're at a urinal.

Enough of my self-indulgent nonsense, I was so close to putting 0-0 as half-time scoreline, I'm an idiot let's move on to the important matter and if they hadn't taken Rhodes off he'd have taken the damn penalty, the idiots at hand - all the points that you guys did get you bastards.

That said, it was actually another quite low scoring week, with just 59 points spreading itself over our prediction toast. Cream does tend to rise to the top in mixed metaphors, however, and out of the thin spread came one of the fastest fish in the ointment.

Result? Check.

Scoreline? Check.

Two seconds away from highlight perfection? Check.

Congrats, @Chivs, your long game might just be paying off. @The Dolman Pragmatist was your partner in crime on the scoreline, but didn't benefit from the #BEFTP, looking up at your 6 points from halfway down that particular point ladder. Sadly, the commentary didn't start with "onomatopoeia", though only because there wasn't any bleedin' commentary. Sort it out Bristol Sport! I'm gonna buy a season ticket and send it back. Seriously, that would've been where I got my rightful point, it's just a huge conspiracy against me... Revolt!

Hmm... Maybe, as it was just crowd sounds, it did actually start with onomatopoeia... Interesting...

Moving swiftly on before Chivs' wordplay tricks me into redistributing all the points, two others gained the 3 #BEFTP points on offer for being mere seconds away from the highlight length - @Davefevs went 3 seconds too long, and @Welcome To The Jungle was a devastating single second away with 10:15. Without any points in other categories, they therefore joined The Dolman Pragmatist on a total of 3, along with Blackburn backers @DownendRed97 (a first success), and @Super, who were each within 10 seconds of the highlight length and thus gained 2 #BEFTP points.

Others in the 10 second boat were @bissellredhead and @Ian M, while @cityexile was within 15 seconds for a single point. Again, none scored any other points, but it does put Ian and cityexile on a run of 4 #BEFTP games. Then there were the "half-time timers", with @citywest30 and @Dollymarie 2 and 3 seconds out respectively.

That's where the timing success ends though, as we followed up our record goal timing haul with a complete whiteout. 59' and 86'? Sod off Hanley and Marshall.

In fact - Hanley and Marshall? Sod off.

That's right, I wasn't the only one scuppered by Rhodes' substitution a mere 3 minutes before he would've scored their penalty. Absolutely no one thought Hanley or Marshall would score.

I mean, Hanley and Marshall... Who?

Sod off.

With no one reckoning Forest would beat Fulham 3-0 either, it leaves us with just the result and those who did plump for 0-0 at half-time unlike me 'cos I'm a tosser.

There were 23 successful doom mongers, amongst them @old_eastender (inevitably) - becoming the first to 10 correct results - and three debutants in @Chairman Mao@'keepuplino', and @Offside@hodge also took advantage of @Nogbad the Bad's lack of return to sneak back into second place, and @Alessandro made it 9 point-filled games played to join the throng attempting to overthrow my clearly outstanding - and not at all down to sheer luck - record.

In addition to myself and Nogbad, it wasn't the best of games for others in the top ten, as @Tipps69 and @RedM both had their second scoreless game in a row. Pressure getting to the pacesetters? 6 of the top 10 have gone pointless within the last two games, with only @Ian M@HLR@bcfctim, and @Cider_boy holding their nerve, while these mid-season yips extend to half of the top 20.

Chasing pack: they're there to be shot at.

HLR was the only one of those four to get the half-time scoreline, along with 9 others: @Dogbert, compensating for old_eastender moving ahead on the result stakes; @MigratedRobin, straight back on the half-time horse having missed out on the record; @City169, setting himself up for that very same record next time out; a first for @ChillyTrav@UK0wnag3, to grab that 11th game; and then @hooered, @zummerzet red@lambo, and @EstoniaTallinnRed complete the set.

Having mentioned the struggles at the top, what of @BRIAN WILSON?

Well... he didn't play. Maybe next time... ;)

@MILLAR_D1 does join him on 6 scoreless games, though (maybe there's something in the capitals?), so it's a fight for mediocrity next time out.

For now, though, we merely look forward to it. Or not, seeing as we obviously have no chance of winning.

Sorry, what's that you're saying, Aden..?

:dancing2::dancing2::dancing2:

Now to watch Football League Tonight, with my counting stick.

3 hours ago, RedM said:

Make that my third scoreless game in a row, @RedYoshi ...somehow I forgot to predict this week. Gutted as I have been putting Kodjia and Flinty for weeks too! :sad26:

Bummer. Although, technically, it won't go down as three scoreless games - merely two, and then a gap. Only count ones you actually get "wrong", as it were.

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

@RedYoshi Although I don't have access to the highlights, may I inquire if it was 10:14 or 10:16. 

10:14. Half-time at 5:45. No commentary, for no apparent reason.

31 minutes ago, City169 said:

Bugger yoshi, if that was up earlier I might have got a prediction in to be able to get the record. This totally slipped my mind this week

Ah, apologies. Although, like with RedM above, the record will still be there for the next one - you didn't get it wrong this week, so it just rolls over.

1 minute ago, RedYoshi said:

Ah, apologies. Although, like with RedM above, the record will still be there for the next one - you didn't get it wrong this week, so it just rolls over.

I'll take that. I can honestly say I would have gone for a 2-1 win, as that's my thing most weeks, would never have gone for 2-0 at half time. Bring on next week

1 minute ago, City169 said:

I'll take that. I can honestly say I would have gone for a 2-1 win, as that's my thing most weeks, would never have gone for 2-0 at half time. Bring on next week

Shame - although perhaps a blessing in disguise for the half-time record. Derby thread will be up tomorrow, I'm on it. Get on it. The troops are on fire. You know I need it, much closer, I'm trading just a little more. Step on it, electronic. The troops are on fire. I'm much deeper, a sleeper. Waiting for the final trip.

Sorry, got a bit carried away...

4 hours ago, RedYoshi said:

Shame - although perhaps a blessing in disguise for the half-time record. Derby thread will be up tomorrow, I'm on it. Get on it. The troops are on fire. You know I need it, much closer, I'm trading just a little more. Step on it, electronic. The troops are on fire. I'm much deeper, a sleeper. Waiting for the final trip.

Sorry, got a bit carried away...

Ah, c'mon, we got out backs to the wall.

Watch out, you're gonna kill us all.

Archived