IGNORED

The Great Otib 2015/16 Championship Prediction League Thread Of Glory

RedYoshi

EXAMPLE POLL  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

BOLL(D)OCKS.

A penalty turned down, a goal disallowed, a one-on-one squandered, a former captain's betrayal, a heartbreaking winner, a missed train, and an early morning desperate run.

That was Brighton.

This is Right On.

I don't know, I'm sleep deprived.

2eyc9zm.jpg

First thing's first:

Waiting on the BEFTP or Yoshi wins the unbeaten race #justlikeBrighton

WTTJ... Sorry, but you didn't get a #BEFTP point.

However - you did predict that we would be leading 1-0 at half-time, so the contest continues! 13 games and counting - not unlucky for any, it seems.

Whilst on the subject of half-time scorelines, it was a rather productive category this week - 23 correctly saw us narrowly ahead at the break, although none of those envisaged a second half turnaround. Amongst them, @Coombsy@Davefevs@Robbored, and @Show Me The Money! managed their second in a row, thus putting pressure on @bcfctim's record streak of three. He was one of the 23, though, so increases his overall tally to four, cementing his position as King of Half-Time.

There were 10 others this week who got the slightly more important final scoreline, with @City169 and @Cider_boy both adding an accurate 172 letter guess in the #BEFTP to become our top two scorers for the match - City169 with 6 thanks to Baldock's goal, and Cider_boy on 5.

@Nogbad the Bad also managed to get 2 #BEFTP points, courtesy of guessing one more than the total whilst getting City's total spot on, but @RedM was the only other person to go for 172 letters, and along with @Septic Peg also predicted both of Brighton's scorers.

Talking of goalscorers, nobody saw Williams scoring at all - let alone first - but @redmelsh successfully predicted Zamora's goal at the precise time, while @Red rum had the time of Brighton's first, and the scorer of their second. Meanwhile, Baldock's goal helped @hodge to keep up the pressure on Nogbad, adding the correct scoreline to reduce his lead by a point.

With @Tipps69 also amongst the scoreline predictors, both he and hodge are now out on their own in terms of overall scorelines, with 3 apiece. Tipps69 also has the opportunity to match @Show Me The Money!'s 4 match result streak next time out, while @Dogbert and @old_eastender are now the overall leaders in that category with 6 each (that's an impressive 50% strike rate for Dogbert and 54.5% for old_eastender).

Old_eastender got the scoreline spot on this time round too, with the other successes being @CodeRed - on debut - @blockbrowt1@Super@JohnM, and @NorfolkInChance.

Other random stats of little to no interest:

• Collectively, we now average a total of 98.15 points per match.
  • That works out as an average of 1.07 points per individual prediction.
  • We now have a total of 388 players who have taken part.

That's all folks. Now to hurry up and get the Cardiff thread out, as I've just realised that, while we have the whole weekend for predictions to roll in, we now have less than 24 hours for the Wildcard. Oops.

ABOLISH GOALKEEPERS.

Those pesky goalkeepers and their inconsiderate abilities.

Not only did another keeper's MOTM performance deny our team 3 points, it also cut out three whole categories within the #GOTIB15to16CPL and gave us our least productive league match of the season.

Get rid of them, I say.

2qbajup.jpg

Of the 52 points we did accumulate, an impressive 11 of those were split between just two people: @UK0wnag3 and @Alessandro.

UK0wnag3 was the only person to predict the entire lack of goals, thus inevitably getting the half-time scoreline correct along the way, and then was just one away from the 131 of Cotterill's quoted words on the website, to end with a stand out 6 points for the match. Alessandro, meanwhile, was three words away, thus adding just the one #BEFTP point to his similarly correct half-time score, and he traded the correct scoreline for the Wildcard scoreline, giving himself a solid 5 points.

@redsquirrel came as close as UK0wnag3 to Cotterill's quote quota, just in the opposite direction, while I was the only one to select Bennett as an interviewee.

Which brings us on to an important moment in the history of the #GOTIB15to16CPL:

He thought it had gone last week, but half-time was his saviour. Unfortunately, @Welcome To The Jungle, the time has now come. Your perfect run ends at 13, and I'm now left alone, staring into the headlights of the rest of the season, with no one else to trust...

A well fought contest, I must say, and I'm quite sad it's over.

While this match did see such runs come to an end, and lack a lot of high scoring, 23 of us did correctly forecast a draw, the most significant of which sees @Tipps69 match @Show Me The Money!'s 4 match result streak - a new record is on the cards for today. In addition, @old_eastender's success puts him out in front with 7 correct results overall (from just 12 matches), while - even more impressively in terms of percentage - @Septic Peg now has 6 correct results from a mere 8 matches. This also sees her on a run of 3 correct results (a feat she managed once before), so if Tipps69 slips up she's ready to jump into his shoes - as is @BS30 Reds.

The half-time scoreline was the next most helpful to us, with 13 seeing a goalless first half on the cards, although none of these came from @Coombsy@Davefevs, @Robbored, or Show Me The Money! and thus kept @bcfctim's record safe. @Corshamred now has that opportunity, though, with a second half-time in a row.

Robbored made up for it by predicting Hull to win 2-0, with @ExiledAjax (who has really forgotten how to have Bonus Extra Fun-Time, it seems, since his astounding run) and @Red rum completing the Wildcard quartet.

We also saw @EstoniaTallinnRed and @Fordy62 gain their first points at the third time of asking, while @Tinmans Love Child got off the mark on debut. Well done fellas. On the flip side, @MSN Red saw a 5th game slide by without any points, joining @BRIAN WILSON and @richwwtk on the unwanted ladder.

In terms of a lack of points, though, this game most notably saw half of the top ten get nothing. Everyone's still right in this.

Just a quick nod to the four people who predicted the Wildcard match after it had already concluded.

Three of you got it wrong.

Top work.

GOALS GALORE.

I didn't intend my previous recommendation of abolishing goalkeepers to be taken seriously... And certainly not just by us.

But hey, it certainly gave us all a shed tonne of points in the goalscorer stakes. Fill your (shooting) boots!

2ngyiz6.jpg

Unsurprisingly, absolutely nobody saw the 1-4 scoreline coming, and even fewer (go with it) saw it being 0-4 at half-time. There were 5 who knew Fulham would come out on top, though, namely @HLR@Dogbert@old_eastender@Gilts, and @jambodinho.

This helped HLR to the league leading 6 points for the match, as he also called Dembele's double, Kodjia's consolation, the 18th minute goal, and Pack performing our first significant action. Phew. Old_eastender's success, meanwhile, sees him not only move on to an incredible 8 correct results overall, but also take over the current streak (3) as @Tipps69 couldn't create a record of his own, and both @Septic Peg and @BS30 Reds missed their chance to equal the 4 in a row.

Tipps69 and Septic Peg needn't worry too much, though, as they both still added to their hauls - Septic Peg with the Wildcard and a goalscorer, and Tipps69 with two goalscorers. BS30 Reds was less fortunate though, being one of the few who didn't benefit from the goalfest.

I say one of the few, because literally EVERYBODY who put down any extra scorers (and anyone who put Kodjia as FGS) got at least a point. Even @MSN Red, who avoided moving on to 6 pointless games (@lambo, however, was less lucky and replaces MSN on a 5 game barren run). Never have three of four goalscorers been so obvious - Dembele, McCormack, Kodjia... Easy this prediction lark, innit? In fact, jambodinho was the only point scorer who didn't gain any for goalscorers, reckoning Bennett would get in first.

Only @cityexile and @Dollymarie thought that it would in fact be Dembele, and in doing so Dollymarie joined the select group of people to have scored a point in every single category - @Nogbad the Bad@hodge@Ian M, and @bcfctim being the only others. Top category coverage.

Helped further by the goalfest, cityexile and bcfctim got a goal timing on the nose, too, along with Dogbert and @Woodsy, equalling the five who got timings right against Brentford (another goalfest, if anyone happens to remember..). 

Nobody thought that Tunnicliffe would be a part of this particular goalfest, but @ExiledAjax (back in #BEFTP form) did see him being the first player mentioned on the BBC text, as did @JBFC II. Neither thought it would be due to a shot, though, unlike Ian M@RedM, and @napper - but they made the mistake of thinking it would be a City shot. Four others joined HLR in picking Pack as our man of the moment, though again none of @Welcome To The Jungle (back in the points), @UK0wnag3Nogbad, or @DownendRed97 reckoned on an unsuccessful attempt.

And last, but by no means least, @Alessandro joined Septic Peg on the Wildcard wagon, making him only the second ever to get two in a row. Can he make it three?

We'll find out on Tuesday.

Onwards!

THE BOY WHO CRIED WOLVES.

Everyone take a step back and applaud. We have a new King of the Castle. "Smashed it", I believe is the term these days.

2vmbsk6.jpg

10 points, ladies and gentlemen. TEN. That's how many @Ian M accumulated from just this one match.

Only 10% of all participants* have achieved that many in total, let alone in one match.

How did he do it? Performance enhancing drugs I reckon, potentially coupled with a Sports Almanac found in the back of a Delorean.

Sneaky tactics aside, this was the actual breakdown of his points:

• City win: 1 point
  • 1-0 scoreline: 2 points (3)
  • 1-0 half-time: 1 point (4)
  • Kodjia FGS: 2 points (6)
  • MKD 1-0 Charlton: 2 points (8)

"But you said he got 10, what are you on about?"

Quite. He almost got 8. But that would be forgetting the important extra details in the original rules (which I, of course, didn't nearly do, having made them up and everything... honest):

On 8/4/2015, 9:46:38, RedYoshi said:

First goalscorer: 2 points.

Other goalscorers: 1 point each, 2 point bonus if all correct (extra bonus point if specified order).

Yes, Ian M is the first (and potentially only - the unlikeliness of the event is precisely why I forgot I'd included such a rule) player to gain a (newly christened) COMPLETION BONUS.

I had to add a new column to the table and everything. Ruddy chaos, you've caused, Ian... Chaos!

Some of you out there may be screaming "so why didn't he get the "extra bonus point if specified order" as well, you crazy tyrant?!" and I would understand such initial reactions, but as there was just the one scorer any sense of "order" is essentially non-applicable. In much the same way, @UK0wnag3 didn't get the FGS (and subsequent COMPLETION BONUS) for the 0-0 against Cardiff. That way, lunacy lies.

So: well done Ian, aren't you clever, here's some cake. :icecream: (the cake was a lie).

Everyone else kind of pales in comparison with that.

With no one guessing the goal would come on the stroke of half-time, the only category in which Ian M was bettered was (of course) the #BEFTP, with both @havanatopia and @RedM gaining 2 points for envisaging the third foul happening in the 8th minute, while @ExiledAjax and @Cider_boy each anticipated Wolves getting their claws out 12 times, for a point apiece.

Many others (13 to be exact) joined Ian M in spotting Kodjia as the first scorer, and 5 of these (havanatopiaUK0wnag3@bcfctim@MigratedRobin, and @dereks no1) thought that would have us leading 1-0 at half-time, but all expected further goals. What with his #BEFTP success, it was only the scoreline that kept havanatopia matching Ian M - instead having to settle for 6 points.

ExiledAjax@hodge (keeping up the pressure), @BarmyArmy, and @Woodsy each decided to not bother with getting our result right, instead concentrating on MK Dons winning 1-0, and there were 13 others I haven't mentioned who thought the previously unthinkable: us beating Wolves, for once.

Amongst them, @Spectored earned a first point of the season, and @Dogbert drew level with @old_eastender on 8 correct results.

At the completely opposite end of the spectrum to Ian M's ludicrous success, @lambo had another scoreless game, leaving him on a 6 game barren run and in danger of equalling @BCFCjay's record of 7. @Septic Peg, on the other hand, experienced her first ever fruitless match - a far cry from being close enough to taste those result and #BEFTP records.

And finally, @Dollymarie: Don't worry, I've extensively analysed the prediction data from our wins this season, and I can officially announce that there is no correlation whatsoever between our approach to random stabs in the dark and real life results, so you're more than welcome to join back in. It's unbelievable, I know, but apparently stats don't lie, so there's nothing I can do.

Now to wander off to the next Wanderers. I wonder if this wander will be as wonderful.

*Yep, we now have 400 players. Woooooooooooooo.

Well done Madger, but only 'King of the Castle' by dint of alphabetical order surely?

Joint King of the Castle?

One way to be deposed from my long time lofty perch on the highest turret, but more than happy for someone else to wear the yellow jersey for now, especially someone who may well have suitable long blonde plaits.

It will surely be recycled back to me within 24 hours.

Possibly.

GAME ON.

• Admin

If anyone cares to know the secret of my success, it's a little less amusing than RedYoshi's write up I'm afraid.

Laid down with terminal manflu my mind had been on other trivial matters, such as trying to breathe through my nose and stopping my flat from seemingly switching from being a furnace to a freezer at the flick of a switch. Alas I was not able to attend AG on this particular evening (although I'd been aware enough to ensure another soul benefitted from my ST) & awaking in a daze at 19:43 it suddenly dawned on me that I hadn't entered my Prediction.

"Oh fudge" I uttered, or words to that effect, as I desperately grabbed for my trusty phone that was surely already on the forum homepage. What should I put as my prediction? 3-1? 3-2? Nope no time for doing that & trying to think who, other than Steve Bull or Andy Mutch might score for Wolves, as the clock struck 19:44, I literally had time to answer the poll questions and stick to a solitary 1-0 scoreline with the trusty Kodj as my choice of goalscorer.

So, the tl;dr version, I won because ill & lazy.

PS @RedYoshi I still don't understand how I got the extra 2 points, was it belated recompense for that tenner I gave you at the Fulham game?

11 hours ago, Ian M said:

PS @RedYoshi I still don't understand how I got the extra 2 points, was it belated recompense for that tenner I gave you at the Fulham game?

Nah, we both know that was Monopoly money, and it wasn't even enough to pay my rent at Old Kent Road.

The two points were due to you getting the scoreline and all of the scorers within that. So it's an extra bonus for being exceedingly accurate. Had you got the time right, you'd have received a similar bonus. It's obviously more likely to happen in a 1-0 win... but nevertheless it's impressive.

Lazy & ill are underrated states.

Oh, and don't listen to @Nogbad the Bad, the crazy cat - you're top on merit. Or Mystery Points Difference if you prefer. You lead 3-1 in the half-time scoreline stakes, you see, which puts you in front by a nose. Up your half-time entertainment, Noggers!

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@Ian M my 8 point record didn't last long.  Now you're up there prepare to be shot at by @NodBadtheRed and @hodge

Who's this NodBadtheRed geezer? :dunno:

4 minutes ago, RedYoshi said:

Nah, we both know that was Monopoly money, and it wasn't even enough to pay my rent at Old Kent Road.

The two points were due to you getting the scoreline and all of the scorers within that. So it's an extra bonus for being exceedingly accurate. Had you got the time right, you'd have received a similar bonus. It's obviously more likely to happen in a 1-0 win... but nevertheless it's impressive.

Lazy & ill are underrated states.

Oh, and don't listen to @Nogbad the Bad, the crazy cat - you're top on merit. Or Mystery Points Difference if you prefer. You lead 3-1 in the half-time scoreline stakes, you see, which puts you in front by a nose. Up your half-time entertainment, Noggers!

If that's a lengthy synonym for 'Up Yours', then very harsh, especially from the organiser at a time when I'm naturally very tender about relinquishing top spot.:sad26:

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

@RedYoshi doesn't @Ian M actually deserve another bonus point as he technically got all the goalscorers in the correct order.

On 11/6/2015, 6:07:43, RedYoshi said:

Some of you out there may be screaming "so why didn't he get the "extra bonus point if specified order" as well, you crazy tyrant?!" and I would understand such initial reactions, but as there was just the one scorer any sense of "order" is essentially non-applicable. In much the same way, @UK0wnag3 didn't get the FGS (and subsequent COMPLETION BONUS) for the 0-0 against Cardiff. That way, lunacy lies.

Covered. :thumbsup:

Glad people are paying such close attention though, haha.. And I did um and ah about it, but ended up plumping for this reasoning. The extra bonus is for the added challenge of multiple scorers, basically.

40 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Agh - I forgot to predict the Bolton game. Have a Friday off, forget about City and get on with proper stuff for a day and my chance of the title has been cruelly taken away from me

You'd have predicted a City win with Kodjia and Agard scoring ...

no loss , Woodsy .

Red Yoshi , i have another idea for the game , predict what Woodsy will predict . 

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

You'd have predicted a City win with Kodjia and Agard scoring ...

no loss , Woodsy .

Red Yoshi , i have another idea for the game , predict what Woodsy will predict . 

That's easy. If Woodsy says win, we lose. If Woodsy says lose, we win

I'm better at predicting the random game than ours!

3 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Agh - I forgot to predict the Bolton game. Have a Friday off, forget about City and get on with proper stuff for a day and my chance of the title has been cruelly taken away from me

Don't worry. I did do a prediction but only a part one. My birthday last Friday and I got absolutely shit faced so while I intended to do add the scorers, BEFTP and wildcard on Saturday morning, I instead found myself wrapped around a toilet.

Archived